Pc Oscilloscope

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know you have already disscused the topic but I have a question.Are they any good this kind of osciloscopes?And do u happen to know any schematic that is easy to build ?
I've searched the net but i didn't find any I could use,because I want to build it my self.Please forgive my ruddness but I hope someone will answer me.

The Pico instruments are pretty good (www.picotech.com) and have additional functionality like data-logging and FFT.

The problem is often that a PC is less than ideal (unless you have a laptop / portable) and a real 'scope is much better for moving to the circuit, rather than moving the circuit to the PC.

The other issue is you have to be very aware of the limitations of digital scopes in terms of Nyquist etc. if they are not to mislead and show things that aren't really there.

A used 'scope is likely to be very useful for years to come, even a basic 10-20MHz 'scope will tell you all you need to know for most analogue work.

I use a 20MHz real 'scope, and a PC-based FFT analyser - a relatively cheap soundcard can get you 24bit / 96k resolution for little outlay.

Andy.

red said:
I know you have already disscused the topic but I have a question.Are they any good this kind of osciloscopes?And do u happen to know any schematic that is easy to build ?
I've searched the net but i didn't find any I could use,because I want to build it my self.Please forgive my ruddness but I hope someone will answer me.
---------------------------------------------------
For the amount of money asked for 16 bit pc scopes, you will do far better getting a used 100 MHz CRT with delay function, say for $500 or less. This way, your traces are much more noise free. By all means then buy a software spectrum analyser for $300 with a good 24/96 soundcard with low thd+n.

This could also be of interest to you guys....

Its a simple digital sig gen/digital cro that uses the printer port.

I made it for testing car ecu's, hence all the enigne parameter stuff, but the CRO bit will still work fine.

Its freeware so worth a go anyway:
http://www.overclockers.com.au/~mwp/engine-sim/

Itll work as fast as your printer port allows it... most of the time thats up to around 1Mhz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.