Coupling Audio Output DC Cap and Recapping question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I am having trouble finding the answer to this question in the forums and being new to modding, I have to start somewhere.

I am replacing two polar electrolytic coupling capacitors in the post op amp stage of my Denon DCM-260 and I found two Sprague film caps on eBay but they are rated for 50V DC, will a DC cap work? The existing caps just say "25V".

Also since this player was manufactured in 1997, would you suggest replacing all the electrolytics on the whole board (approx 35 caps)?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

Here is my subjective opinion:

If the player is from 1997, I think most electrolytics caps should still be in reasonable condition and I doubt that you would really get a perceivable improvement in sound quality by replacing them.

If the present output coupling caps are labeled 25 Volt, then a 50 Volt type should certainly be ok. Usually the power supplies are +-15 Volt, so a 50 Volt rated cap should be fine in any case. Manufacturers usually choose electrolytics rather then film output caps for two resons: price and size. Does the sound quality perceivably improve with a film cap? Opinions differ.

Thanks for the reply Javin.

Yes, I doubt replacing all the electrolytics would increase sound quality, I was concerned for the other things that might get blown since they may now be so far out of tolerance.

My other question was about the caps I found on eBay being 50V *DC* and I was wondering if I could replace the existing polar caps with a cap specifically rated for "DC". The caps on eBay are Sprague 430p. Is that ok?

a bipolar electrolytic is usually intended for DC but can also be used for AC, there is no problem replacin the ones in your player with the ones you mentioned.
However, replacing one bipolar cap with another one is probably only cosmetic dabbling and sound Quality will not greatly improve. A better (slightly bolder and definitely more expensive) upgrade would be to use film caps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.