Combine SP/DIF with hdmi video (within AVR)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm trying to get my sony str-ks2300 reciever to pass the video through hdmi and use the SP/DIF optical input for sound.

here's my current setup:
Video:
PC-->DVI-->HDMI-->TV
Audio:
PC-->SP/DIF-->AVR

And Here's what I would like to have: (and this way be able to hit a single button to switch to A/V from the PC)
Video:
PC-->DVI-->HDMI-->AVR-->TV
Audio:
PC-->SP/DIF-->AVR

The problem is that there are only 3 hdmi inputs on the AVR (BL, DVD, SAT).
And those inputs do not have alternate audio inputs.
So my options for SP/DIF input are either Video2 or TV on the AVR

Also I do not have a video card with HDMI out, thus the use of the dvi to hdmi converter.

I have tried to get the AVR setup through the built in menu to use the audio of my choosing, but that does not seem to be an option when using hdmi.

I know that there are HDMI + TOSlink --> HDMI converters out there, but before I drop $200 on that option I was hoping to either have a firmware update for my AVR to be able to choose a seperate audio source or perhaps solder in a manual switch to connect the selected SP/DIF audio in to the hdmi.

And once again the options that are NOT prefered:
Buy hdmi compatible video card
Buy HDMI + TOSlink --> HDMI converter
live with switching TV input and Audio input seperately

Anyone have any idea where I should start to look for my prefered solution?

Thank you for your time.

Yep... Hook up the PC DVI/HDMI directly to the TV!
Leave the SPDIF in the receiver... You don't have any sound from the DVI output, regadless how you try "convert" it.

Yes I'm aware of that, what I was looking for was some help either updating the firmware, or modding the AVR to route the SPDIF sound to the HDMI to trick the reciever into thinking it's coming from the hdmi instead of the SPDIF.
I know this will not likely be an easy mod, but I thought since the AVR is already able to decode the SPDIF then I could just send that data to the hdmi input after the AVR had already decoded it.

Maybe I'll just open it and have a look see

Usually that "addition" happens in the HDMI transmitter, independent of the local DSP/CPU. This is because of the HDCP encryption layer. Check to see what cip you have on the HDMI output of the receiver (usually a Silicon Image cip, like those). Now, if that requires some extra programming "words" send by the main CPU (to select between the 8 channel and SPDIF)...
Maybe that is already done by your receiver CPU when you are selecting that output?

Attached is how it is used in a Denon receiver.
I would expect the mod to involve the data from the SPDIF selected receiver input to be wired directly to the HDMI transmitter (maybe some logic to match voltage levels). No SPDIF "decoding" would be necessary (in my example is pin #5)...

Attachments

• hdmi_tr.PNG
    hdmi_tr.PNG
    120.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Usually that "addition" happens in the HDMI transmitter, independent of the local DSP/CPU. This is because of the HDCP encryption layer. Check to see what cip you have on the HDMI output of the receiver (usually a Silicon Image cip, like those). Now, if that requires some extra programming "words" send by the main CPU (to select between the 8 channel and SPDIF)...
Maybe that is already done by your receiver CPU when you are selecting that output?

Attached is how it is used in a Denon receiver.
I would expect the mod to involve the data from the SPDIF selected receiver input to be wired directly to the HDMI transmitter (maybe some logic to match voltage levels). No SPDIF "decoding" would be necessary (in my example is pin #5)...

Killer, thanks for the help man.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.