OPAMP upgrade on 5534 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th April 2011, 07:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default OPAMP upgrade on 5534

I have recently been given a Musical Fidelity CD1 cd player. only had it a week and got the DIY bug already.
It has 5534 op amps x2 (presuming they are singles)
what is a worthwhile upgrade on that?
Considering changing all the caps (lytics) as well.
Also curious as to what machine its based on. It uses the CDM4/19 laser assm, but for the life of me I cannot see the DAC chip only the SAA7220, I presume its the TDA1541 but unless its under the laser mech, I cannot see it.
Old 5th April 2011, 06:01 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

hi grahamfocal,
Go find the manual for it and start looking at how they have the power supply set up and start there that's the heart of it all,then start replacing caps and listen to it each step and take notes so you can go back later easily,if it doesn't sound better,get the power as clean as you can ,then opamps ,ect
good listening,
cheers
Old 5th April 2011, 06:33 AM   #3
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

I'd recommend lme47910 (ha if the budget allows) for single opamp replacement. Also there will be great gains getting the 7220 onto a separate low noise reg. Some people choose to bypass this chip as it's noisy and go NOS (non over sampling) I personally prefer to sort the psu out to the chip itself! That chip is normally responsible for clock distribution too. As stated, caps will be tired. Good high value low ESR caps like panasonic FC's can be used to replace the main smoothing caps and local decoupling is down to personal choice on analogue but widely accepted that oscon (especially sepc) are great on digital rails.

I'd have a hunt around for the dac chip. If it's not on top, it wont be a 1541. It could be very early bitstream. In the philips cd850 mki, (1st gen bitstream) the 7220 is used only for clock distribution and to provide spdif out!!! I've done quite a bit on a pals 850.

Any pics??
Old 5th April 2011, 06:59 AM   #4
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

A circuit would help. It's just remotely possible that use is made of pins 1,5 and 8 on the 5534 for offset null adjustment for example (as in some Micromega players) or frequency compensation.
Old 5th April 2011, 09:11 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I suspect its going to be rebranded philips but I could be wrong. A picture of the inside would help to ID the board.

I can find very little about this player and definately no service data so far.
Old 5th April 2011, 10:13 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

thanks guys I will get a picture of it on here tomorrow.
It certainly sounds loads better than my Orelle CD100 and that has been modified. They both use the CDM4/19 mech.
The board (i think) is marked at 1991'
Even the OPAMPS are mounted in chip holders.
Old 5th April 2011, 10:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

5534 are not that bad at all. You will gain some detail and bandwith extension with some better op-amps but at high cost. You will have a hard time to find anything better than OPA627 from BB and this is the best I came across modyfynig those old Philips chips based machines for years. I would recommend to change all the electrolitics in the player as it will put a new life in it. I usually went with Panasonic FC all around using black Gate N in some critical areas when budget allows. But even with Panasonic only the gain is very noticable. For bypassing higher valu caps I got great results with pink M&M look like Philips caps, usually 220n or 470n value. And I have tried a lot of diffrent an way more expensive ones. Just my 2 cents.

Sure there are many other areas like the clock the output signal cap (at resonable cost the old Siemens MKV or Bosh MP are the best) and other. And at the cost of 4 OPA627 you will build discrete mosfet or J-fet output stage that will be even better.

Last edited by zygibajt; 5th April 2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 6th April 2011, 12:11 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I think LME49710 would definitelly sound better than 5534. And I don't think a discrete jfet opamp would be better than that. Expensive??? Digi-Key has it for 2.45$...

Last edited by SoNic_real_one; 6th April 2011 at 12:15 AM.
Old 6th April 2011, 06:16 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic_real_one View Post
I think LME49710 would definitelly sound better than 5534. And I don't think a discrete jfet opamp would be better than that. Expensive??? Digi-Key has it for 2.45$...
When I said expensive, I was referring to the HA "tin hat" version which seem to sound better than the 8dil versions

LME47910HA
Old 6th April 2011, 11:58 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

That's a myth... tin hat have the same audio performance as the DIP ones. The only difference is in the maximum disipated power (driving low loads).

Hide this!Advertise here!