OPAMP upgrade on 5534

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have recently been given a Musical Fidelity CD1 cd player. only had it a week and got the DIY bug already.
It has 5534 op amps x2 (presuming they are singles)
what is a worthwhile upgrade on that?
Considering changing all the caps (lytics) as well.
Also curious as to what machine its based on. It uses the CDM4/19 laser assm, but for the life of me I cannot see the DAC chip only the SAA7220, I presume its the TDA1541 but unless its under the laser mech, I cannot see it.

hi grahamfocal,
Go find the manual for it and start looking at how they have the power supply set up and start there that's the heart of it all,then start replacing caps and listen to it each step and take notes so you can go back later easily,if it doesn't sound better,get the power as clean as you can ,then opamps ,ect
good listening,
cheers

I'd recommend lme47910 (ha if the budget allows) for single opamp replacement. Also there will be great gains getting the 7220 onto a separate low noise reg. Some people choose to bypass this chip as it's noisy and go NOS (non over sampling) I personally prefer to sort the psu out to the chip itself! That chip is normally responsible for clock distribution too. As stated, caps will be tired. Good high value low ESR caps like panasonic FC's can be used to replace the main smoothing caps and local decoupling is down to personal choice on analogue but widely accepted that oscon (especially sepc) are great on digital rails.

I'd have a hunt around for the dac chip. If it's not on top, it wont be a 1541. It could be very early bitstream. In the philips cd850 mki, (1st gen bitstream) the 7220 is used only for clock distribution and to provide spdif out!!! I've done quite a bit on a pals 850.

Any pics??

5534 are not that bad at all. You will gain some detail and bandwith extension with some better op-amps but at high cost. You will have a hard time to find anything better than OPA627 from BB and this is the best I came across modyfynig those old Philips chips based machines for years. I would recommend to change all the electrolitics in the player as it will put a new life in it. I usually went with Panasonic FC all around using black Gate N in some critical areas when budget allows. But even with Panasonic only the gain is very noticable. For bypassing higher valu caps I got great results with pink M&M look like Philips caps, usually 220n or 470n value. And I have tried a lot of diffrent an way more expensive ones. Just my 2 cents.

Sure there are many other areas like the clock the output signal cap (at resonable cost the old Siemens MKV or Bosh MP are the best) and other. And at the cost of 4 OPA627 you will build discrete mosfet or J-fet output stage that will be even better.

Last edited:
Hi,

The LM47910 and OPA627 are both very high speed designs, so if you plan to use them especially in sockets ensure that there is high speed ceramic (or other high speed dielectric - most film caps are OK) decoupling close to the power pins and that the ground return is not inductive as it could cause oscillation.

The old 5534 was so slow and externally compensated so this was rarelly a problem and some designers used poor PSU layout (and got away with it)

Regards,
Andrew

piccies :D

CIMG7073.jpg

CIMG7074.jpg

CIMG7075.jpg

CIMG7076.jpg

CIMG7077.jpg

CIMG7078.jpg

Last edited:
I think LME49710 would definitelly sound better than 5534. And I don't think a discrete jfet opamp would be better than that. Expensive??? Digi-Key has it for 2.45$...

Yes the discrete J-fet output stage would be a whole lot better but at the cost of building it and dedicated supply and it usually would no longer fit inside the player. But belive me a well made J-fet output stage/buffer usually is way better than any, even the best chip.

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.