DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532 - Page 97 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2011, 12:51 PM   #961
FOXYE is offline FOXYE  Israel
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergelisses View Post
For the fun i try this output stage .

There is no output capacitor because there is one on my WA6 input ( Headphone tube amp ) .

My conclusions today .
Better than the OP ,better than the direct output ( Just a serial capa ,or the RC filter ) ...

Serge
why not using one stage for each channel?
Old 12th December 2011, 01:17 PM   #962
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXYE View Post
why not using one stage for each channel?

Why not ,if i have time ..... i will check if there is a difference
Serge
Old 13th December 2011, 07:49 PM   #963
diyAudio Member

Default Regs please!

those 3 of LM1117's have a distortion of 3mV! instead of some uV or nV in high-end terms. horrible!

does anybody know a better regulator?

i found LM340P-5.0 in sot223 with 40uV any idea? or a better one?

but could not find anything for 3.3v LM1117. any contribution?

or separate psu?

thanks in advance
Old 14th December 2011, 01:33 PM   #964
diyAudio Member

In post #877 I described a problem which I thought to be a dead CS8416. I ordered a couple of new 8416s and they arrived a few days ago. After killing one of the new chips with solder when it slipped out of position on the pads, I managed to install the other correctly and now the DAC works.

I have it running with a discrete low noise regulator for VCC and VDD on each main chip. while leaving the 3.3V LM1117 for the 74HC04. It is direct out through 47R Holco resistors and 10uF Elna Silmic bypassed by .1uF Roe 1837 MKP and I am more than pleased by the result.

However, I would be interested in any suggestions about the following:
1. Is there a better value (and type) for the resistor?
2. Is there a better value for the output cap. I plan to swap the 10uF Silmic for a film/foil cap like Mundorf MKP.

Next mod will be an active SPDIF input stage for the DAC.
Old 14th December 2011, 01:49 PM   #965
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosian View Post
those 3 of LM1117's have a distortion of 3mV! instead of some uV or nV in high-end terms. horrible! does anybody know a better regulator?
I am using discrete, very low noise and low impedance regulators designed by Greg Ball at SKA Audio here in Australia as a drop in replacement for the 78XX series three pin regs. It is called the Minireg. Noise less than 1uV, which is very impressive when the best 780X regs are about 10uV/Vout. I am using these on the CS8416 and AK4396 on this DAC. I have also used 8 of them on my heavily modified Rotel RCD965 CD player and a other projects. These regs are adjustable but can be formatted as fixed regs. Max current is 50mA or 100mA depending on the transistor used, i.e. BC547C or MPSA18.

Here is the URL for the Minireg low noise regulator thread. Probably good to read from the beginning:
SKA sponsored Audio Forum - MiniReg discrete low noise Regulator
Old 14th December 2011, 02:07 PM   #966
diyAudio Member

Well i tried to build this dac, reading all those good things about it. I ordered the kit (not assembled) and gave it a try. The result was no sound and the power, 96k and error leds were constantly on. Forgot to mention that the 3 smd chips were badly soldered with visible solder bridges. So i thought cs8416 must be dead (as suggested in this thread). The seller agreed to sell me a board with just the three chips soldered. The soldering of the chips in the new board appeared to be visually perfect. I assembled the dac once more and the result.......................................3 bright leds always on and no sound again! The 78xx regulators are working ok, the 1117 regs are also ok....Does anybody has any ideas? If so please share, because im ready to give this dac a shock therapy
Old 14th December 2011, 06:58 PM   #967
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skouliki View Post
Well i tried to build this dac, reading all those good things about it. I ordered the kit (not assembled) and gave it a try. The result was no sound and the power, 96k and error leds were constantly on. Forgot to mention that the 3 smd chips were badly soldered with visible solder bridges. So i thought cs8416 must be dead (as suggested in this thread). The seller agreed to sell me a board with just the three chips soldered. The soldering of the chips in the new board appeared to be visually perfect. I assembled the dac once more and the result.......................................3 bright leds always on and no sound again! The 78xx regulators are working ok, the 1117 regs are also ok....Does anybody has any ideas? If so please share, because im ready to give this dac a shock therapy
What is your SPDIF source ?
Make a picture of your board cs8416 side

Serge
Old 14th December 2011, 07:09 PM   #968
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergelisses View Post
What is your SPDIF source ?
Make a picture of your board cs8416 side

Serge
Hi Serge.
My SPDIF source is my Pioneer PD-D6 sacd player playing redbook. Currently i dont have a camera- i will try to find one and post pictures tomorrow.
Old 15th December 2011, 02:50 AM   #969
diyAudio Member

Default Check SPDIF on cd is present

skouliki
The Pioneer PD-D6 sacd player turns the digital outputs off when in pure direct mode, have you checked that this feature is off?
Old 15th December 2011, 11:12 AM   #970
50AE is offline 50AE  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Someone said that changing the digital signal cable with a better one improves quality. I have to confirm it, really does. I swapped a 30cm normal testing multi stranded cable with 20cm low-loss coaxial and there is more detail and spacing between the instruments now.

This DAC definitely blows away the analog output of my X-fi music.

Hide this!Advertise here!