DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532

i intend to use the AK4396 on the mini 24/96 pcb with an external i2s. I´ve populated the PCB only with the decoupling caps and the VCOM caps. The PSU is external, the regulators (2x5v belleson) are on board. At the first start, it didn´t work. I soldered the 74HC04 from another PCB and it worked once. The second start didn´t work.

Can somebody tell me what to do with the pins 8-14 of the AK4396

apoo

Are you sure 192K is getting all the way through?

I select 24bit/192k from Realtek ALC892 digital output (windows 7).
If I select 48khz or 44khz, the 96K led turns off, so it does change
sample rate.

On my JRiver MC it is down-sampled to what the DAC chip can handle by the software. LED would not light on my 4396 build without the conversion.

AK4396 should play 192k, so does it play 192k with 96k led turned off?
Or can it play only when downsampled to 96k?

Last edited:
I didn't dig too deep, but I got no sound at all from anything above 96K. I did some searching since your post and can't verify yet, if "accepts 192k data" is the same as passes that data unmodified. I remember reading somewhere that there may be some internal down-sampling internal to the DAC chip itself. Still searching. Maybe some of the advanced modders on the thread can tell us.

In the process of checking the wiring in a project combining this DAC with a preamp, I discovered continuity between the signal and ground on the SPDIF pads on the DAC PCB. Is that possibly correct? I looked for a short somewhere but can't see anything. I have not done any new soldering on the DAC board. :scratch1:

The dac runs on +3.3v (digital side) & +5v (analogue) side. I'll be using STR (super teddy regulators) for each side. Just have to determine where to apply the voltage (and bypass the onboard regulators). Does it make a difference? (Not sure yet.) I'll let you know when I've accomplished this.

Yeah I have been reading about STR's, but I am no electrical engineer, just a hack.... Sooo I have no idea how to apply them correctly. But from my research, I have been hearing good things....

Maybe you can take a look at audio gd's stuff... They have some regulators that look interesting as well as their Op Amp HDAM stuff....

For this DAC, does anyone have any pictures of their upgraded regulators? Does it make a difference? How do I do this?

This thread has lots of discussion of various regulators/PSUs that have been tried or proposed with this DAC. Here's some comments and build pics that I've taken notice of (I'm sure list is not complete, but others can chime in if they wish). Hope this helps!

1. Erin, who initiated this thread, identified early that the miniDAC could be improved by modifications to the PSU. “I think it needs a lot more than the supplied 1800uf reservoir capacitors. I intend to build an off board power supply with more capacitance for it. … 22,000uf on the analog power rails before the regulator…”
See Photos, page 5 [post 48]
See Summary at page 8 [post 78]

2. Dario/ClaveFremen prepared a very detailed BOM for swapping, adding and omitting various passive components. Overall view is, “If you decide to use my BOM it will sound good from the start, an alternate external power supply like Salas Shunt could go even further but only after you have optimized the rest, IMHO.”
From page 100 [post 996]

3. apoopoo999 -- Salas Shunt design ... Photos, Page 87 [post 862]
4. df_genius -- Salas shunts ... Photo, [post 667]
5. Sergelisses -- Salas shunt (and other... ?)
See photos [posts 813 and 1347, 1351]
6. simes123 -- photos [post 1015]
7. Discussion of Salas shunt regulator – see [post 1127] and others...
8. Nosian -- offboard-PSUs-to-charge battery, photo at [post 1188]
9. Giobax -- Salas shunt reg, pics at [post 1375]
10. Piersma -- Walt Jung regulators, pics page 172 [post 1716]
11. Dario/ClaveFremen -- simple shunt design, pics on breadboard [1620].

Thanks truepaul.... The simple shunt design would be exactly what I was looking for but it seems like geared towards the minidac, where I am looking for some shunt design for the big board.

Thanks for the awesome effort in showing me whats out there, but I wish there was a step by step on how to replace regulators and shunts....

Do you know if there is a direct way to replace regulators with maybe better regulators like STR?

Hi, I’m going to add a SPDIF input selector to the 2496 DAC board.
Some of the SPDIF signals I want to input to the DAC board are 0/5 V TTL (i.e. the signals from TORX toslink receivers, output of balanced line receiver 26LS32 and the signal coming from a CD-ROM drive).
According to CS8416 data sheet, the maximum input level for SPDIF data is VL+0.3V, and VL is 3.3V.
I tried to use a voltage divider (after removing the 75 ohm resistor at the DAC board input) from 0/5 V to 0/3.3V, but this slows down the edges of the SPDIF data, producing a rise time > 50 ns (I suppose because of the input capacitance of the CS8416 that forms, together with the divider resistances, a low pass filter).
So the question is: did anybody tried to connect a 0/5V SPDIF signal directly to the CS8416 input (with VL = 3.3V) without blowing this IC?