DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532 - Page 71 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd September 2011, 04:02 PM   #701
pre65 is offline pre65  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver84 View Post
Nosian >> Ahh i see :-)

And i only need one LM4562 ? And fits the original DIP socket ?
Yes indeed, so simple and inexpensive.

There are other op amps that may sound different, but that one is definately better than the NE5532 supplied with the kit.

Just make sure it's the right way round.
Old 22nd September 2011, 04:04 PM   #702
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
Yes indeed, so simple and inexpensive.

There are other op amps that may sound different, but that one is definately better than the NE5532 supplied with the kit.

Just make sure it's the right way round.
I just give it a try :-)

The right way, must be the same as the NE5532 ! ?
Old 22nd September 2011, 09:41 PM   #703
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
Hi, I have just replaced the NE5532 in mine with an LM4562 and was quite surprised how much better it sounded.
Anyone else tried the LM4562 ?
I did and while it sounds very good I think it lacks slam and impact, probably because it usually sounds better when followed by a buffer or at leas a resistor that isolate it from capacitive loads.

In the first pages of the thread Jean-Paul, which uses LM4562, suggest to use the resistor to improve sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosian View Post
Silver88, "x2 on BrowDog", you need tow opa827. one on the dog another under the dog! quite difficult to solder I think. Already destroyed a pair! going to use LME49720 instead. only one needed!
Not much, with patience and fine solder.

Quote:
Yes i read, but maybe if someone could post a picture or 2, showing how to solder the things right up, we all can try the opa827 :-)
See the attachment...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BrownDog single to dual.jpg (314.1 KB, 1053 views)
Old 22nd September 2011, 09:48 PM   #704
pre65 is offline pre65  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=ClaveFremen;2720748]I did and while it sounds very good I think it lacks slam and impact, probably because it usually sounds better when followed by a buffer or at leas a resistor that isolate it from capacitive loads.
In the first pages of the thread Jean-Paul, which uses LM4562, suggest to use the resistor to improve sound.]

My DAC feeds into a valve pre amp. (World Designs Pre3).
Old 23rd September 2011, 04:44 AM   #705
diyAudio Member

Hi..

I just got my finished AKM4396 dac, and since i got the information of the dac kit from this thread i think i should share what i've experience about this dac..

my ak4396 uses "custom" Broskie tube Unbalancer as its output stage with two GE 8cg7 tube and then feed by Phillips ez80 as the tube rectifier..

i cant says much about the design of the output stage,, because i had it built by my friend..

Click the image to open in full size.

f

the sound is very amazing for a dac that this cheap and small, mid and high is clear and natural without a hint of harshness and it gives an effortless feeling.. detail and sound separation are excellent.. and i'm not experiencing the lack of bass that some has say.... i have the elektor dac with all the boutique parts (BG, tantalum, vishay etc) and i think the ak4396 has better it in almost every aspect..

this ak4396 dac kit is trully a very good performer even with stock op amp output,, but once you paired it with good tube output (or maybe an OT) you'll expect a significant improvement,, imo no comparison with the opamp output..

i think ill stick with this ak4396 dac for a little while

sorry for my bad english..

regards
Old 23rd September 2011, 06:09 AM   #706
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

Nice work.
Old 23rd September 2011, 01:29 PM   #707
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaveFremen View Post
I did and while it sounds very good I think it lacks slam and impact, probably because it usually sounds better when followed by a buffer or at leas a resistor that isolate it from capacitive loads.

In the first pages of the thread Jean-Paul, which uses LM4562, suggest to use the resistor to improve sound.

Not much, with patience and fine solder.

See the attachment...
Nice Clave as always :-) Do you know a place, where to buy the two opa827, and where i know for sure, that they are original ? And the brownDog to.
Old 23rd September 2011, 02:13 PM   #708
data is offline data  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhisan View Post
Hi..

I just got my finished AKM4396 dac, and since i got the information of the dac kit from this thread i think i should share what i've experience about this dac..

my ak4396 uses "custom" Broskie tube Unbalancer as its output stage with two GE 8cg7 tube and then feed by Phillips ez80 as the tube rectifier..

i cant says much about the design of the output stage,, because i had it built by my friend..

the sound is very amazing for a dac that this cheap and small, mid and high is clear and natural without a hint of harshness and it gives an effortless feeling.. detail and sound separation are excellent.. and i'm not experiencing the lack of bass that some has say.... i have the elektor dac with all the boutique parts (BG, tantalum, vishay etc) and i think the ak4396 has better it in almost every aspect..

this ak4396 dac kit is trully a very good performer even with stock op amp output,, but once you paired it with good tube output (or maybe an OT) you'll expect a significant improvement,, imo no comparison with the opamp output..

i think ill stick with this ak4396 dac for a little while

sorry for my bad english..

regards
Your English is better than mine as I'm Australian

Very nice work mate, and a nice build.
Old 27th September 2011, 10:33 AM   #709
diyAudio Member

Default AK4393/4396

I have been listening to the stock DAC 2496 (AK4393) for a couple of weeks. Recently replaced the 5532 with dual OPA627. Both are a little bass shy-the OPA627 provides reduced sibilance, otherwise both are very detailed and smooth.
Yesterday a pre-assembled board with AK4396 arrived(these things are so inexpensive) and the most significant improvement is an almost absence of sibilance, in stock form. I haven't tried swapping the output chip yet.
All versions are a little lean on bass but highly listenable.
Now waiting for some Wimas to try(not sure what improvement to expect).

Peter
Old 27th September 2011, 12:24 PM   #710
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Nice Clave as always :-) Do you know a place, where to buy the two opa827, and where i know for sure, that they are original ? And the brownDog to.
For OPA827 eBay seller Audiosector, for Browndogs directly from Cimarron Technlogy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjblakey View Post
All versions are a little lean on bass but highly listenable.
Start replacing the regulators with ON Semiconductor parts, as per my BOM.

Hide this!Advertise here!