DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532 - Page 67 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2011, 05:40 AM   #661
wanky is offline wanky  Australia
diyAudio Member

i built one of these boards from ebay and it seems to work fine when playing music but when i turn it off i get loud cracking and hiss noise through my speakers. also if i mute the coax audio line from my pc there is continuous hissing. anyone know what could be wrong?
Old 15th September 2011, 10:25 AM   #662
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

That is the way it is....
Old 15th September 2011, 09:23 PM   #663
diyAudio Member

still waiting for the right BrownDog from US I'm listening to the dac through two 1uF MKPs per channel. everything is there but dynamic and base!

all modd done according exactly to the Clave's BOM (thanks again boy, nice job), even diodes are SBYV27! only silmics are replaced by Robycon ZLJ 220uF, 100v. the ship has been on water 22 hours dvd-repeat.
Old 15th September 2011, 11:08 PM   #664
diyAudio Member

Hi all, I've built one of the AK4393 boards using Coffin regs for all the regs - 2 x 3.3, one 5V and +/-12V for the op-amp. The Error light and the 96k light come on straight away "No Audio" is not lit. No sound. I'm using the 100nF bypass cap holes to apply power. The regs are working fine, the 3.3V regs are supplying 3.25V and the 5V is 4.95V. Any ideas where to look? I have used these regs a few times on DACs and they have good rise times.
Old 16th September 2011, 08:13 AM   #665
Trebla is offline Trebla  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I think all this highlights the importance of doing a few mods at a time, rather than the whole lot.
Its easy to put things right if you know you have only made a couple of changes.
Old 16th September 2011, 09:01 AM   #666
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosian View Post
still waiting for the right BrownDog from US I'm listening to the dac through two 1uF MKPs per channel. everything is there but dynamic and base!
I've never tried the direct out mod but I'm not surprised...

IMHO an active filter is needed, either based on opamps, discretes or valves...

Quote:
all modd done according exactly to the Clave's BOM (thanks again boy, nice job), even diodes are SBYV27! only silmics are replaced by Robycon ZLJ 220uF, 100v. the ship has been on water 22 hours dvd-repeat.
You're welcome Nosian

regardind ZLJ I would change them...if they're only similar to ZL and ZLH they have a strange grey and harsh sound...

and they're low ESR ones, not good after regulators...
Old 16th September 2011, 09:57 AM   #667
diyAudio Member

In the words of Homer Simpson, D'oh!

The DAC works, I was using a cheapo factory-sealed digital cable that was faulty. I avoid using 3-pin regs where I can so I built this from the start to use off-board regs.

This is being used in my DC-B1 pre with Salas phono and headphone stage all in one case.

Here is what my build looks like. 220uF OsCons used on digital supply rails, Muse on analogue rails. Op-amp is an LME49720. The op-amp dual reg is underneath the DAC:

It's only been on for about 15 minutes but sounds promising. Dynamics and bass are fantastic, the middle and top-end will get better with run-in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9150211.jpg (339.0 KB, 831 views)

Last edited by df_genius; 16th September 2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 16th September 2011, 05:18 PM   #668
data is offline data  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:

Try direct out using quality transformers instead of caps, and you will have dynamics and bass by the bucket loads!
Along with hi-resolution...
Old 16th September 2011, 08:43 PM   #669
diyAudio Member

...Just be prepared to pay for those transformers probably a lot more than what you paid for the DAC kit!
Old 16th September 2011, 09:12 PM   #670
diyAudio Member

I've played with basic Sowters, basic Lundahls, BBC spec, basic Jensen, Monacor & other transformers and can heartily recommend these as best I've heard:

1 Pair TAM (TAMRADIO) TD-1 600:600 AUDIO TRANSFORMER | eBay

Not necessarily as expensive as you might think......

Hide this!Advertise here!