DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532 - Page 57 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st August 2011, 05:21 PM   #561
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Nice build but I hope the panel between the DAC and the transformer is not aluminium !? Aluminium does not shield magnetic radiation etc. I would use steel or Mu metal at that spot, especially because the transformer is very close to the electronics. BTW a 10 VA to 30 VA type would have been enough.

Farnell sells some nice LEDs from Dialight with ring already mounted, they call these optical indicators. When you remove the LEDs from the PCB and use Molex connectors with the right pitch you can use those and still be able to remove the PCB for working on it etc.

Do you like the sound of this DAC ? My Fluency DAC was running circles around it and also because of other projects I sold mine.

Last edited by jean-paul; 21st August 2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 21st August 2011, 05:35 PM   #562
F1 FAN is offline F1 FAN  Canada
diyAudio Member

Nice looking build Maarten,was that chassis an ebay purchase.That toroid looks more than capable as well.
I find the blue LED's way too intense for use on my front panel,so I will tone them down or replace them with a combo of green and red.
Old 21st August 2011, 06:15 PM   #563
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
My Fluency DAC was running circles around it and also because of other projects I sold mine.
What is the DAC chip on that Fluency?
Old 23rd August 2011, 12:08 PM   #564
SteB is offline SteB  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
Do you like the sound of this DAC ? My Fluency DAC was running circles around it and also because of other projects I sold mine.
Its getting way betting with any of these mods, also upstream mods on transport end, in my case a Tenor te7022 to spdiff module are worthwhile, but the stronger colour palette of the stacked nos tda1543 keeps me going back to it, until that is, i'ts weak points start giving me ichy feet.

Think from what i've listened to up to now mutibit players generally fit my personal listening criteria better.
For me the perfact dac would be somewhere between the two

In any case it's an enjoyable ongoing project. Shame they don't offer the PCB only as most components i have not used and probably won't do.
Old 23rd August 2011, 02:11 PM   #565
diyAudio Member

What do you mean they don't offer only the pcb? Only if you want the pcb without the SMD parts.
Old 23rd August 2011, 02:31 PM   #566
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufflesnet View Post
Hi guys,

Finally got my DAC up and running. Im a little concerned and am hopping someone can help. My kit shows a pair or 15v regulators on the screen printing. however the kit contained 12v regulators. I have seen versions of the PCB with 7812 12v regulators screen printed on the board. Does anyone know if the kit was revised? If so what else changed and what version is better? These two regulators are running VERY hot i have had to add a large heat sink to keep them cool. Im powering with a 15-0-15 vac maybe to high for these regulators. I have had a good look around but have not found this discussed anywhere. Would be great full if someone know about this?

Russell
Hallo Russell

On my pcb i have 7809/7812 and 7912 i use 2 traffoes. One at 12V AC and one at 9,4 V AC, and my regulators gets not hot at all, Actually they are stable at around 42 degrees.
Old 23rd August 2011, 03:55 PM   #567
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your reply,

It's good to know someone else is using the 12v regulators. Its now obvious I should be using a smaller transformer with the 12v regulators. I looked at the op-amp specification and I think it might be easier for me to change out the regulators for 15v ones.

This is my first proper DAC but I can't believe how good it sounds even without any mods. I'm using a sony playstation with cables soldered directly to the optical toslink output (nasty temporary hack) as a source and a valve buffered gain clone amp. This may not be the ideal setup but I am very surprised with result. Going to tryout some of the mods I have seen in here just don't want to damage the PCB.
Old 24th August 2011, 01:55 AM   #568
F1 FAN is offline F1 FAN  Canada
diyAudio Member

My kit came with the 12v regs and that is what is screened on the PC board aswell.Using a 12VAC tranny they do not get hot to the touch.Keep in mind if you decide to use the 15v regs you will be right at the maxium allowable input voltage of the AMS1117-3.3 and 1117-5 reg's.
Old 24th August 2011, 02:58 PM   #569
fmahia is offline fmahia  France
diyAudio Member

Good improvement with LME49720HA opamp (metal can version) in place of NE5532.
Old 26th August 2011, 09:59 AM   #570
diyAudio Member

I just received a DAC 2496 kit that I plan to power from my existing buffer preamp transformer(dual 15V secondaries) and put in the same box.
The description of the power supply requirements for the DAC indicates that a transformer with dual 15V supply may be used and that a link should be soldered on two solder pads on the PCB. Mine has only one solder pad.
Is there any reason that I can't connect wire jumpers from the 3 terminal block to the 2 terminal block with 15 - 0V? Or should I get a 9V or 12V transformer?
Is there any sonic difference between using one or two transformers?

Hide this!Advertise here!