DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532 - Page 52 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th August 2011, 08:46 PM   #511
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffzen View Post
I think it could be okay, but I would absolutely leave the shielding on as well. In my opinion, shielding is one of the most important things when working with a lower level signal.
But where to connect the shielding then ? Could i use it as gnd to the L and R signal out ?
Old 15th August 2011, 08:51 PM   #512
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver84 View Post
But where to connect the shielding then ? Could i use it as gnd to the L and R signal out ?
Of course, there is no problem connecting the shielding to the ground. This way a simple piece of coax is enough and fine for each channel.
Old 16th August 2011, 07:13 AM   #513
fmahia is offline fmahia  France
diyAudio Member

My first naked kit died so I've made some mods from a kit already soldered according to ClaveFremen BOM (thanks for the work) and it sounds very well.
What do you think about Styroflex caps in place of FKP2? I had some of this caps and I've tried them for the LPF, it seams to be quite good.
Old 16th August 2011, 12:06 PM   #514
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If one is not installing the op-amp output (I'll be using UTC A-20 output transformers) can any of the onboard PSU components be omitted? It looks like C39 and the 7912 reg. next to it can go?
Old 16th August 2011, 12:48 PM   #515
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmahia View Post
I've made some mods from a kit already soldered according to ClaveFremen BOM (thanks for the work) and it sounds very well.
You're welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmahia View Post
What do you think about Styroflex caps in place of FKP2? I had some of this caps and I've tried them for the LPF, it seams to be quite good.
Until this morning I haven't tried Styroflex... they sound very very good (ERO KP-1834), a bit more neutral than FKP2s with equal or slightly better detail, as expected.

But in the BOM I'll stick to FKP2s since they're current production, nowadays polystyrene caps are (mostly) not longer produced.
Old 16th August 2011, 01:32 PM   #516
fmahia is offline fmahia  France
diyAudio Member

I've also tried direct output and was very disappointed: no more bass. I really prefer NE5532 with correct LPF.

Last edited by fmahia; 16th August 2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 16th August 2011, 01:42 PM   #517
diyAudio Member

I've read several times that the AK dacs like an equal load on both the + & - outputs of each channel. This is why I've used transformers on the outputs connected to both legs, and why I've never seen the sense in ignoring the - leg and sticking a cap on the + leg only.

As to which one sounds best, I'm open minded. I use transformers and have absolutely no desire to continue experimenting with unbalanced coupling caps only.
Old 16th August 2011, 03:41 PM   #518
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaveFremen View Post
You're welcome

I suggest you to mount it as is but socket the four DAC's output resistors with a SIL socket. In this way you can, in every moment, pull out the resistors and plug in wires to trasformer or output caps while leaving the IV/LPF functional when resistors are plugged in socket...
hi Clave,
do you mean using an output transformer from AK4396, we do not need those 4*2k4 resistors?
regards
Old 17th August 2011, 06:18 AM   #519
data is offline data  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

What load does the AK4396 want to see if using transformer output, anyone know?

Maybe those resistor can be useful for loading?

I'm with sharpi31 regarding equal loading on both legs.

Last edited by data; 17th August 2011 at 06:21 AM.
Old 17th August 2011, 08:07 AM   #520
diyAudio Member

No need to use the 4x 2.4Kohm resistors with transformers. I use small 5ohm resistors between the dac and the transformers, which seems fine.

The AK4396 datasheet calls for minimum 1Kohm AC and 1.5Kohm DC load. With a transformer the DC load is essentially infinite (as there is 2.5VDC at either end of the primary) so that's covered. The AC load will ultimately be determined by the load connected to the secondary, so typically 10-100Kohm.

This all assumes you use a 1:1 transformer - with other ratios you'd need to check the reflected impedance etc. I don't see any need for anything other than 1:1, and have used many different 600ohm transformers to great effect.

Hide this!Advertise here!