DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532

Oh, I think you misunderstod nr.
I have upgrsded anordning to tour BOM:)

OK, you're right, I've read 'without' where you wrote 'with'... :D

I don't know how the squeezebox sounds but it seems strange to me that his analog stage is on par with the modded MINI2496...

The analog stage of my SACD player sounds only a bit better but it's a 15Kg player that in 2003 costed around 2000€...

Exactly what you bought as per my BOM, other forumers said so and in reality they picked up only a part of it...

Can you post a photo or two?

Here they are:)

Attachments

• avt_20111118164622.jpg
    avt_20111118164622.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 821
  • avt_20111118164515.jpg
    avt_20111118164515.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 800
  • avt_20111118164438.jpg
    avt_20111118164438.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 796
Here they are:)

Thanks Bjarne :)

Seems all as per my BOM...

The only two difference are the Nichicon FW instead of BC038 and supplied film caps instead of ceramics... they should sound good too...

Did you tried others SPDIF coaxial cables apart the Canare?

This DAC is very sensitive to the quality of the cable.

For instance I've used two BlueJeansCables: one with Belden 1505F and the other with Belden 1694A.

The difference was HUGE.

I am deeply disappointed:(
I have listened and listened, my wife have been listening, my son with young ears have listened. We can not tell the difference between SBT analog output vs. this DAC.:confused:
Either there is a plug in my stereo or else this DAC is a "fart in a horn lantern".:mad:

I like your good humor :)

Are you using soundcheck mods on your SBT?

How long did you leave the DAC running?

What do you use to connect the analog output from the PCB to the RCA cables?

The SBT also uses an AKM DAC, but not as good as this one.

You are right that something else is bottlenecking your stereo. This DAC will sound better than SBT output. We just have to find out what the problem is.

I will say it loud and clear:

My AK4393 DAC gathering dust all these months - I just tried it using a 12-0-12 tranny and the default components - no fancy stuff like cerafines, ultra fast diodes and additional decoupling.

This little DAC definitely BLOWS AWAY my modded X-fi music sound card! Even from the first run, no burn in! Bass is no present, but it will be after new caps an burn in :). What about using a capacitance multiplier on it?
I can't wait to mod this little guy!! It sounds so cool!

May anyone recomment me a suitable valve output stage shematic in idea to replace the opamp in the future?

Last edited:
Thanks Bjarne :)

Seems all as per my BOM...

The only two difference are the Nichicon FW instead of BC038 and supplied film caps instead of ceramics... they should sound good too...

Did you tried others SPDIF coaxial cables apart the Canare?

This DAC is very sensitive to the quality of the cable.

For instance I've used two BlueJeansCables: one with Belden 1505F and the other with Belden 1694A.

The difference was HUGE.

I can't affort to buy a lot of different cables:bawling:
The Canare LV77 was recomended to me.
If you realy mean that this DAC is sounding much better than the SBT I have to look at other things in my setup.
/Bjarne

Bjarnevip
:)
maybe what you here from your system right now is veiled. its like you dont see much of the picture because you are watching it on an old monitor while your audio sources are very good some of your components are hindering it..you can try to eliminate the opamp preamp...
try to read this...
How good is the Ion Obelisk 3X / X-Pack Pre-Power amp combination | AVForums.com - UK Online

I don't think the Preamp is the problem, because it was the largest improvement to my setup. My wife stood in the kitchen when I connected it, and yelled: " what did you do???? (I:hug:her)

I can't affort to buy a lot of different cables:bawling:
The Canare LV77 was recomended to me.
If you realy mean that this DAC is sounding much better than the SBT I have to look at other things in my setup.
/Bjarne

A 1m BlueJeansCable SPDIF cable made with Belden1694A (or even better 1695A) costs less than 22€ + shipping...

And it made a big difference in my setup.

Now I'm using this one, also a big improvement but the Belded has 90% performance with an affordable price. ;)

A 1m BlueJeansCable SPDIF cable made with Belden1694A (or even better 1695A) costs less than 22€ + shipping...

And it made a big difference in my setup.

Now I'm using this one, also a big improvement but the Belded has 90% performance with an affordable price. ;)

Have you tried a Canare LV77 cable.
It has been recomended over the Belden, at a danish forum so that why I have chosen it:)
As I said, I will try the DAC at a freinds setup before I make changes to my own;)

/Bjarne

I don't think the Preamp is the problem, because it was the largest improvement to my setup. My wife stood in the kitchen when I connected it, and yelled: " what did you do???? (I:hug:her)

I'm very sorry to inform you that yes, it will be the pre amp and the old speakers that are causing the issue if you cant hear any difference between SBT and your DAC, no cable swapping is going to help your situation.

Why others would suggest a cable as the magic bullet astounds me.:confused:

Yes digital cables can make some subtle differences as I have heard them for myself, but the differences are subtle at best, and a new digital cable would be the last thing on my list like the icing on the cake after getting everthing else right in my system.

The digital cable will 100% not be the reason for not hearing a difference. The issue lies elsewhere.

Perhaps everyone else was being too polite.

Like suggesting a new pair of shoes, when your underpants are hanging out?

Last edited: