DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532 - Page 37 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th July 2011, 09:57 PM   #361
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenson View Post
It is generally my finding that parts swapping does very little, while actual design changes can bring big improvements.
It could be that you used the wrong parts...

For sure design changes can bring big improvements but part selection can't be overlooked, IMHO.

A poor parts selection can seriously prejudice performance...
Old 19th July 2011, 10:00 PM   #362
Tenson is offline Tenson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I suppose you are right, but good parts are certainly not those that are 'high quality'. I've tweaked circuits trying different caps in all sorts of places and often the best bypass cap is a 10uF electrolytic, not a fancy Tantalum or such. Same with Op-amp, I often find a NE5532 gives equal performance as mega expensive ICs.
Old 20th July 2011, 12:06 AM   #363
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I suppose you are right, but good parts are certainly not those that are 'high quality'. I've tweaked circuits trying different caps in all sorts of places and often the best bypass cap is a 10uF electrolytic, not a fancy Tantalum or such.
I didn't ever tried a single tantalum...

Exactly, what you mean for 'high quality'?

Quote:
Same with Op-amp, I often find a NE5532 gives equal performance as mega expensive ICs.
NE5532 is pretty good opamp, it doesn't a single thing wrong.

It has a perfect timbre and a good soundstage but -some- opamps are better, however.
Old 20th July 2011, 01:46 AM   #364
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It is generally my finding that parts swapping does very little, while actual design changes can bring big improvements.
I have no doubt that swapping some parts will do little to what you see on a screen.
But how about listening to the changes with your ears?

Its an old debate. What you measure vs what you hear.
IMO this is the reason that so many average sounding pieces of equipment are sold in shops. They measure perfect - but sound poor.

There are also some that strive to achive very low distortion, like 0.00005%. But you have to put a lot of negative feedback to achieve this, and have worlds lowest noise power supplies.
In the end, it may not sound as good as something with 0.05% distortion and less negative feedback, and noisier power supply. Sound is subjective. We all know that.

Last edited by erin; 20th July 2011 at 01:51 AM.
Old 21st July 2011, 11:49 AM   #365
diyAudio Member

Can anyone suggest a source in the UK for the 15-0 and 9-0.V transformer for the DAC? The Chinese sources seem a little overpriced due to the postage. I could fall back onto two transformers but that does seem a bit clunky.
Old 21st July 2011, 11:57 AM   #366
diyAudio Member

In my opinion, $35,95 is not too much for a perfect R-core transformer despite the fact that I'm from hungary
Here, a link.

However, if anyone knows one at a lower price, I would also appreciate a link, as I haven't ordered the one above yet.
Old 21st July 2011, 12:13 PM   #367
col_s is offline col_s  Australia
diyAudio Member

The R-Core price is good. I doubt you'll find that in the UK.

For an all-in-one transformer, there's this from RS Components Buy PCB Mounting Transformers PCB mount transformer,12VA 2x0-12V o/p RS 10-5922 online from RS for next day delivery.

It's 14-0-14 + 0-9. It's encapsulated EI core and PCB mount, so might be a bit of a hassle to mount and wire up. I would mount it in a separate box.

You could get two small toroidals. The Nuvotem brand, also from RS components, are good quality.
Old 21st July 2011, 12:57 PM   #368
diyAudio Member

Default Transformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by col_s View Post
The R-Core price is good. I doubt you'll find that in the UK.

For an all-in-one transformer, there's this from RS Components Buy PCB Mounting Transformers PCB mount transformer,12VA 2x0-12V o/p RS 10-5922 online from RS for next day delivery.

It's 14-0-14 + 0-9. It's encapsulated EI core and PCB mount, so might be a bit of a hassle to mount and wire up. I would mount it in a separate box.

You could get two small toroidals. The Nuvotem brand, also from RS components, are good quality.
Hi,

that RS reference seems to be ideal ... it is specified as PCBmount transformer,30VA 1x0-9V 2x0-14V and costs about 17... also reasonable. Does the eBay transformer have any advantages over the RS model?

George
Old 21st July 2011, 01:04 PM   #369
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

I think the R core is meant to keep the electromagnetic field more contained than E core transformers. I do own both types of transformer, but never did an AB comparison.
FWIW I never heard any EMI from an E core transformer, also never had any problems of any sort from E cores. But some people do insist that R core is better.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that on this kit it wont matter one tiny bit whether you use E core, R core or toroidal. As the kit will perform very well with either. I'd suggest supporting your local economy and buy whatever you can locally.

Last edited by erin; 21st July 2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 21st July 2011, 01:24 PM   #370
col_s is offline col_s  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that on this kit it wont matter one tiny bit whether you use E core, R core or toroidal. As the kit will perform very well with either. I'd suggest supporting your local economy and buy whatever you can locally.
i reckon you're probably right. The differences are more apparent with higher power amplifiers and things like that, where size, weight, magnetic fields become significant with EI core. I also think that small toroidals without shields could be worse, due to their ability to pass noise through from the mains. So EI is probably a good way to go.

Hide this!Advertise here!