DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532 - Page 258 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th August 2013, 02:44 AM   #2571
diyAudio Member

Building this AK4396 from a bare board(except surface mount chip); it's ok for resistors,small capacitor (FKP/FKS) but I am a bit in trouble with electro capacitor:exception C23/24/25 and C38/C39 (they are so big ). Someone can show me on the board where is C14/17/31 C27 C32/33/35 C29/34
Thanks for your help
Old 16th August 2013, 03:24 PM   #2572
jdamico is offline jdamico  Venezuela
diyAudio Member

Hi to everybody.
Is a great thread with great contributors. Very nice reading.
I just bougth the kit unassembled (just waiting to put hands on) and some other parts according ClaveFremen BOM (thanks again to Clave), but trying to save some money, also I'm using some old stuff I have in my spare parts box:

I have a 120 W old psu transformer from a small cheap integrated and dead Sansui amp (55+55W). from the seventies. Transf. is working and in perfect conditions, the secondary is 27-0-27 V but have primary windings in 120, 220 or 240. in my Country outlet ACV is 120, and planning to use mains 120V connected in the 240V primary winding tap, I tested and measured the secondary to be 13.7V and I think this big transformer will go well for the analog supply and will work far away from hysteresys with linear and clean power enough.
Also have some Rubycon 6800 uF 63V caps 85 celsius (japan made) for power supply smoothing and some polypropylene Evox PMR 400V 2.7uF to bypass them.
For the digital supply have found and old wall transformer (without rectifier bridge) from a US robotics external 55Kbps phone modem (do you remember that oldies??), it's 16 watts 120/9 Vac and think is enough power for the digital 3.3V of the two chips that use it. Tested and is in perfect conditions.
I have also some galvanized brass plates 0.25mm thick an will make a enclosure with also some surrounding kind of wood.

Don't want to upset anybody with this, but if somebody can explain me why not to put an optional (on-off, not fixed) upsampling daugther board like CS8421 (like the link at bottom) to have this option enabled. Fikus from lampizator says it's sound is "heaven" in a behringer ultramatch pro. I believe that maybe putting a 6PDT switch like this (link at the bottom) I found on ebay in the path of the R12-R15 resistors (it's not so complicated) we can have a very short wire switch for the digital signals involved (also there are 8PDT switches if want to switch master clock). I only want to hear oppinions and experiences with the electronic upsampling implementation (not the software). Some years ago I bougth a Gigawork (lars) upsampling DAC and modified it. Sound is not bad at all. Thanks in advance for sharing the experiences and apologize for my bad english.

Josť D'Amico

Stereo Parts Pioneer Switch Push Button Speaker 6PDT | eBay

CS8421 Upsampling Board Suitable for AD1955 DAC Decoder | eBay
Old 17th August 2013, 02:09 AM   #2573
diyAudio Member

hey,
so about to start diy audio, which is going to be awesome<
and am starting with this kit<
just wanted to make sure i was getting the right one, might use that awesome new BOM some time in the future,
so it this the way to go KIT ??

and i was thinking i would get a tube buffer for it, really want to try the tube sound,
any thoughts on using this tube Buffer
the other question, will the R type transformer work with 230V electricity ( im a Aussy) ?
Old 18th August 2013, 10:44 AM   #2574
diyAudio Member

sorry for double post, but, all i need to power this a 15*2 R-type transformer ?
R core.PNG
Old 18th August 2013, 12:02 PM   #2575
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praudio View Post
Someone can show me on the board where is C14/17/31 C27 C32/33/35 C29/34
Look in the first pages of the thread. I've posted a pic of the PCB with parts numbering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orm0003 View Post
sorry for double post, but, all i need to power this a 15*2 R-type transformer ?
That 9Vx2, 15Vx2 transformer is the correct one.
Old 18th August 2013, 12:16 PM   #2576
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaveFremen View Post
That 9Vx2, 15Vx2 transformer is the correct one.
cheers mate, just ordered, cant wait till mid semester for build time.
am sure i will have heaps more questions
Old 18th August 2013, 11:31 PM   #2577
jdamico is offline jdamico  Venezuela
diyAudio Member

Will receive the kit in two weeks.
Edited the schematic of this Thread to explain my intentions, maybe is better than write. If someone tried to put switches before on this or a similar board, or already knows if it works (or if this mods can have some trouble), please advice me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Schematic for DIY.JPG (515.7 KB, 573 views)
Old 29th August 2013, 09:43 AM   #2578
diyAudio Member

hey, sorry for silly question, ( this thread prob needs a edited first post with some FAQ's i n it )
but how do i take spdif into it,
am i going to have to do some funky wiring straight of my motherboard, or do i have to get something else ?
Old 29th August 2013, 10:15 AM   #2579
diyAudio Member

okay i think i worked out my own question above(sorry for double post) ,
i have noticed some people with external bridge rectifiers and capacitors, are we supplying rough dc current to it instead of AC for better performance?
Old 29th August 2013, 01:35 PM   #2580
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orm0003 View Post
okay i think i worked out my own question above(sorry for double post) ,
i have noticed some people with external bridge rectifiers and capacitors, are we supplying rough dc current to it instead of AC for better performance?
Do you understand how a power supply works?

Hide this!Advertise here!