DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532 - Page 256 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th June 2013, 03:06 PM   #2551
Trileru is offline Trileru  Romania
diyAudio Member

I got the original BOM from "along" seller on ebay and L1 and L2 are stated as ferrite beads. As I got all the parts already I was wondering if I could use these ferrite beads recovered from an old computer motherboard. They are dual beads and seem the right size but I have no idea about their specs. I saw that most beads are rated at 30-50 ohm at 25mhz. Should these be ok? I'm planning on assembling the board tonight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (130.8 KB, 617 views)
Old 6th June 2013, 06:36 PM   #2552
hotiron is offline hotiron  Scotland
diyAudio Member

These would work well.
Old 7th June 2013, 11:08 AM   #2553
diyAudio Member

Great! I finished the board and tonight I'm going to make the first tests. I also need to mount it into the enclosure. Nice little project
Old 7th June 2013, 10:23 PM   #2554
diyAudio Member

I mounted the pcb into the case, connected everything and worked! Now, my setup is as follows. Computer - FastTrack Pro via spdif to DAC - ta2020 amp - speakers. My problem is that I bypassed the ta2020 pot and was using the pot from the FastTrack Pro device. Now, on spdif I have no control on the volume. It's maxed out and FastTrack does not respond to any volume knob. I now have to set the volume from computer and things are going crazy. Firstly I think that I have toooo much gain. It sounds much louder than before now but it maxes out very fast. I will go back to the amp and restore the pot connection as it's crazy with software volume control. New apps that open are maxed out by default and it scares the living s**t out of me. Is there anyway to lower the gain of the DAC? Analog output of FastTrack Pro that was perfect for me had 1.2V rms. I remember that my amp started to distort at about 3 o'clock (tested with oscilloscope on different frequencies sine wave). So that was more than enough.
Old 7th June 2013, 10:30 PM   #2555
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

What software and OS are you using - Windows 7 ?
Old 8th June 2013, 11:17 AM   #2556
diyAudio Member

Audirvana/iTunes on Mountain Lion. I can use the software volume only. Seems like spdif does no support volume control on my FastTrack Pro device. I have to revert the potentiometer on my amp.

I could set the gain from the ta2020 amp. I could replace Rf to set back the gain to the one I had before. Anyone done this on ta2020 chip? Now I have 20k/20k on Rf/Ri. I can go for Rf=7.5k and that would give me about 8.9V RMS for 10W on 8ohm speaker.

Last edited by Trileru; 8th June 2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 8th June 2013, 01:34 PM   #2557
diyAudio Member

I took a look at Audirvana and tried to compare its driver features to JRiver Media Center, which offers several output options. It appears your program defaults to core audio but possibly could use the Avid driver. Both my M-Box 2 and Delta drivers have very flexible controls that JRiver can access. There is a new Mac beta of JRiver that may be helpful.

I will report that I tried something similar with both the M-Box and a Lexicon Omega and found everything was just too hot. I had to eliminate the external sound cards and feed the DAC directly from the S/Pdif out and/or the 2-pin header on the motherboard (PC) to get the correct levels. Does your Mac hardware have any direct digital out ?
Old 8th June 2013, 03:45 PM   #2558
diyAudio Member

It does have optical output. It is hidden inside the headphone connector. I'll need an adapter for that.
My plan is to get an USB-i2s card for this DAC but I have no idea how will I put it inside the case as it's pretty crowded already and the i2s connection needs to be as short as possible.
I will have a look at JRiver
Old 8th June 2013, 03:50 PM   #2559
diyAudio Member

Take a look at this post.
Old 8th June 2013, 10:15 PM   #2560
diyAudio Member

That adapter looks nice and seems it would fit inside the case. What voltage are you feeding it? Needs to be rectified or AC would work?

As I know more gain means more noise. So I'd love to lower the gain of the DAC instead of using a divider network inside the amplifier to reduce the signal level. I tested the DAC and it outputs 2V rms. I'd like it to be 1.2V rms max. Does anyone know how I could achieve that without messing up the sound? I don't know how to adjust that from the op-amp.

Hide this!Advertise here!