DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532 - Page 25 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th June 2011, 07:43 AM   #241
diyAudio Member

Default 4395 the Best?

That's one variable too far for me right now .. my board has the 4396 and it stays that way until I have tried the modifications.

Does anyone have any idea about the number of variables when evaluating boards where each of the passive components can be changed/ upgraded and then the actives too? It moves from serious evaluation to a matter of faith and then into aggression (in some forums that I have visited). I shall stay an atheist in this ... at least until I have built the board.
Old 29th June 2011, 10:32 AM   #242
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YohY View Post
Nice work on the BOM !

According to Sendler who's had some experience with the various AKM chips, he rates the 4395 to be the best.
You're welcome Andy.

From what I understand from Sandler's thread he tried both AK439x with the same transformer based LPF...

And now I know for sure that this isn't a fair comparison.

In fact Sandler says that AK4395 sounds richer, with more harmonics and body...

It reminds me something... the AK4396 with his correct outstage sounds also this way compared with the wrong outstage

Sandler also says that AK4395 soundstage is deeper and less forward, to me also an indication of the wrong outstage for AK4396...

I think I'll keep my 'Miracle DAC'
Old 29th June 2011, 11:17 AM   #243
syklab is offline syklab  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Did anyone try this DIR9001 AD1955 (MK3A) DAC? How is it compare with the AK439X?

Full Assembled DIR9001 AD1955 (MK3A) DAC Decoder Board - eBay (item 110678034709 end time Jul-20-11 22:49:12 PDT)
Old 29th June 2011, 11:18 AM   #244
diyAudio Member

Default Audible Improvements

From here on in, any comments about the relative improvements or otherwise between the 4396 and 4395 have to mention which output stage was being used(and which board, if possible). If the wrong output stages are used then the comments, IMHO, are invalidated. Clave is dead right to mention this.
Old 29th June 2011, 12:14 PM   #245
YohY is offline YohY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Yes, he is right (in context of the opamp output stage)
However, sendlers observations were made using either a high quality blocking cap or transformer coupling direct off the chip!
Old 29th June 2011, 12:33 PM   #246
YohY is offline YohY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syklab View Post
Did anyone try this DIR9001 AD1955 (MK3A) DAC? How is it compare
Yes, I have this kit also. It costs more than the AKM board being discussed here, but has the added benefit of USB input. It sounds pretty good in stock form, but the mods we're making on this thread are showing the AKM to be that little bit more special.
It has to be said tho - the gains aquired by modifications will be dependant on the resolution of partering equipment..

-Andy-
Old 29th June 2011, 12:33 PM   #247
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
However, sendlers observations were made using either a high quality blocking cap or transformer coupling direct off the chip!
Exactly, so it's as saying he used the same outstage/LPF for the two different DACs.

But the two DACs needs a different outstage/LPF to give comparable output level and frequency response... (the datasheet is cristal clear about it)

We may also add that the two different DACs could react differently with the capacitive load of the cap or the transfo...
Old 29th June 2011, 12:42 PM   #248
Ipanema is offline Ipanema  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Funny though. I prefer the sound without LPF capacitor in the output stage. Anyone have the same preference?
Old 29th June 2011, 12:48 PM   #249
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipanema View Post
Funny though. I prefer the sound without LPF capacitor in the output stage. Anyone have the same preference?
Obviously without the LPF the resulting signal is 'purer' since it's not distorted by the non ideal behaviour of caps and active parts but, if the DACs (like AK439x) needs further filtering to have a linear frequency response, what you hear cannot be defined faithful nor accurate...IMHO
Old 29th June 2011, 01:17 PM   #250
syklab is offline syklab  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes, I have this kit also. It costs more than the AKM board being discussed here, but has the added benefit of USB input. It sounds pretty good in stock form, but the mods we're making on this thread are showing the AKM to be that little bit more special.
It has to be said tho - the gains aquired by modifications will be dependant on the resolution of partering equipment..

-Andy-
Hi Andy,
I also bought this board last week and trying to see if the mod on AKM can be applicable to this DAC as well. I am alo thinking if the last OPamp can be bypass or not or even replace by a tube stage?

Hide this!Advertise here!