DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532 - Page 246 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2013, 11:28 PM   #2451
diyAudio Member

Thank you Everybody! Problem resolved.
Old 16th March 2013, 09:23 PM   #2452
diyAudio Member

I recently completed the modification of my MINI 2496 board with new parts as per the BOM published by clave freeman on this forum. I'm running the DAC balanced outputs through a balanced passive differential filter network then into a 6N6P SRPP buffering stage. Low pass filtering is essential with the AK4393 chip due to SPDIF type signals present on the audio outputs. After filtering this noise is no longer seen on the scope. The filter used is described in Thorsten Loesch's PDF availble on the web entitled "thermionic valve analogue stages for digital audio"

I was already amazed how good this little DAC board was before i modified it. Following the BOM upgrade the sound stage has opened right up. There is suddenly a great depth to recordings and i'm hearing subtle parts of the music that ive not heard before. Trebles are much cleaner, less grainy, bass notes extend right down to the floor as they should. I wasnt expecting such a radical improvement and i'm not sure what bit of the upgrade made the most audible difference considering it doesn't have any audio stages on board. My guess is that the better smoothing and filtering around the DAC and receiver chips has resulted in improved jitter.

My next upgrade will be valve shunt regulator (tubecad Janus based) for the 6N6P buffer and i might finally get round to fitting it all into a chassis!
Old 20th March 2013, 10:19 PM   #2453
Bizzie is offline Bizzie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Ive built two of these mini 2496 dac's, one with a Broskie unbalancer and one following Clave Freemans BOM from a bare board and I think they both sound great but I prefer the valve output although the op-amp version has a lm4562 and I couldn't get the evox rifa smr caps so used x7 ceramic's instead I'm not sure how much difference this would make.
Old 29th March 2013, 06:37 PM   #2454
diyAudio Member

i've read a bit about fuses blowing, are people talking about the fuse at the mains in switch, or have they installed a fuse somewhere else? (i have searched but i'm finding a minefield)
please provide links if anyone knows where to find details or even pics

cheers in advance
Old 29th March 2013, 06:47 PM   #2455
Bizzie is offline Bizzie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The fuse on the mains lead is only there to protect the cable, you should have a fuse before the transformer to protect the circuit I use a chassis IEC connector with a fuse inbuilt as this makes for less wiring and less chance of a mistake.
Old 29th March 2013, 08:19 PM   #2456
bcmbob is online now bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

As someone who reported some blown mains fuses, I have to report the last episode wasn't the fuse at all and I suspect some of the others weren't either. I checked the suspect fuse and it showed good continuity. What had happened was those tiny power screw terminals were loose and the joshing required to change the fuse was enough to reconnect the power lead. Can't say if this may have been a problem with other builders, but I plan to pull the PCB from the chassis, check the traces and try to replace the terminals with something more stable.
Old 31st March 2013, 08:06 PM   #2457
diyAudio Member

is the 7809 regulator meant to be stock, i can't find it on the BOM but just want to be sure. cheers
Old 31st March 2013, 08:39 PM   #2458
diyAudio Member

scrap previous entry, sorry
Old 31st March 2013, 08:39 PM   #2459
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg66 View Post
is the 7809 regulator meant to be stock, i can't find it on the BOM but just want to be sure. cheers
Search for U4, in BOM it's clearly indicated as MC7809CTG
Old 31st March 2013, 09:09 PM   #2460
diyAudio Member

yep, sorry clave. moment of madness!!!

Hide this!Advertise here!