DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532 - Page 238 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2013, 01:21 AM   #2371
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKnow65 View Post

Last for now, factual info only, would a vacuum tube "unbalancer" output stage be a more ACCURATE amplifiaction of the 4396's analog outputs vs. the dual OPA827 opamp -without- concern for the frequency response correction the LPF the opamp's perform, as I can compensate for this in the active crossover prior to the DAC's?
I presume you are talking about this unbalancer

In which case, since I cant find any THD + noise specifications for this circuit, it will be hard to answer in the manner which you request. Perhaps writing to tube CAD website, might provide you with these figures. Though on that page was written "The distortion is still amazingly low and the PSRR is still exceptionally fine"

"Accurate" is an interesting term. Any DAC chip designed according to the manufactures datasheet will have low distortion and flat frequency response. But.. somehow they all manage to sound a bit different.
So I think it all comes down to tuning or refining, or matching components in your system, to get the sound you like.

I have owned numerous DACs. And heard even more than I have owned.
My favourite sounding ones have tube output stages.
Old 18th January 2013, 01:26 AM   #2372
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKnow65 View Post
[B]
Is there anything to be done so far as tuning the individual DAC's specifically to the crossover sections they will reproduce? I.e. <50hz, 50-150hz, 150-3khz, >3khz (rough numbers for example only)
The parts listed on the Dario's BOM, and my alternate suggestions, are "tuned" with full frequency audio in mind. From personal experience, it is possible to install different values or brands of components that will emphisise certain frequencies, and make some frequencies sound really good, but to the detriment of a well balanced sound.

Since you intend to use multiple boards in a active crossover, I think you will be able to tune them according to the frequnecies they will reproduce, but I have no specific recommendations other than to suggest experimenting for youself. good luck.

Last edited by erin; 18th January 2013 at 01:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 18th January 2013, 04:01 AM   #2373
diyAudio Member

@Erin,
Thanks for the heads up on the possibility of tuning the dac's. Along that line I have began studying analog active crossover design, I'm a noob... we'll see.

P.s. sorry to put you through my first post ;-)
Old 21st January 2013, 11:50 AM   #2374
atupi is offline atupi  Romania
diyAudio Member

Received my board, start soldering !!!
Dissapointed about packaging, no ESD protection only plain plastic bag. (ordered from Zoe_tsang)
Old 21st January 2013, 01:21 PM   #2375
EssB is offline EssB  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Atupi, I recently built Wieliang DAC3 (WM8805 + AD1955) from the same seller, again no anti-static packaging.
I didn't bother much with anti-static precautions while building it.
It all worked fine and is now doing it's job of converting TV TOSlink out into my old stereo.
Old 21st January 2013, 03:02 PM   #2376
diyAudio Member

If anyone in Europe/Scandinavia is interested I'm buying some polystyrene caps for this DAC and a phono stage from the cheapest source I know - JAB Electronic Components for Radio Hams & Hobbyists in the UK. Not only is this the cheapest polys I can find eg. 680pF/630V @ 0.50 or 10 x @ 4/ 3300pF/160V @ 0.50 or 10 x @ 4. and the postage is the cheapest as well.

I say the cheapest but they are still making a very good profit on the postage @ 3.75 for the UK & mainland Europe - I weighed 4 poly caps = 2g, so the 10 caps I want would be 5g + an envelope and a bit of bubble wrap = 0.87p. Others quoted 4.50 - 7.50 and that was for (1) cap - simply outrageous - do these companies declare the big profits they make on postage - do they hell.

So, take a look at the site and let me know by PM if interested in the next 24 hours - postage costs will be shared pro rata and I have plenty of envelopes and bubblewrap to post the caps on, so will only charge what it costs me via La Poste.

If the total order is 30 or over, the postage is free from the UK to me here in France.
Old 21st January 2013, 03:35 PM   #2377
diyAudio Member

I should add that the prices I have quoted are for 1% caps but they have 5% caps which are cheaper and also silver mica.
Old 21st January 2013, 06:01 PM   #2378
diyAudio Member

Default My DAC is singing

Succesfull from the first start, my DAC is singing and it sounds really good.
Apart few caps i've ordered from Distrelec the recommended parts by Dario,
I'm sad because i've tried to connect an optical received as my transport is having only optical output with no success.
Maybe my optical receiver is defective, who knows.
I'm using a single 2x15v transformer. Makes sense to look for a transformer with a separated 9v winding ?
I have a small concern regarding the group of 3k resisor and the two 10nf 22nf caps wich forms the PLL for CS8416. In datasheet it is strongly recommended to use ceramic caps with very short traces. This 3 parts are very important in jitter level.

I want to thank to Dario and the others for a well documented BOM and mods.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by atupi; 21st January 2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 21st January 2013, 09:26 PM   #2379
nicusim is offline nicusim  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Is this kit able to play 24bit/192K?
Old 22nd January 2013, 07:38 AM   #2380
diyAudio Member

Yes it works.

Hide this!Advertise here!