Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2013, 08:34 PM   #2361
diyAudio Member

Found what I was looking for.

Quote:
Guys,

I measured the current consumption on the AC input side:

9V AC: Measured 9,91V and maximum 26 mA current with only one led lit on. When more will lite it will go more, but it is actually not applicable after the signal start to go through the DAC, they all go out, except the power ON led.

15V: measured 2 x 17.9V input, and 2 x 26 mA maximum (that is with a 2 x OPA627, in stead of the NE5532).
Cheers Halik!
Old 13th January 2013, 05:01 PM   #2362
SWIN is offline SWIN  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicer View Post
I bought the dac with some pieces on it.

PCB SMD IC New Hi End DAC 24 Bit 192K Hz AK4393 SC | eBay

I want to build it like yours.

what are the stats (value) of pieces that you didn't change on your dac?

Ex. L1 NPO

Thank
Spicer

Thank you - bought from the same seller, but the AK 4396 version.

/ SWIN
Old 13th January 2013, 06:52 PM   #2363
diyAudio Member

Default AK4393 with 6N6P

Hi All, I have a squeezebox which on its own has a wonderful sound, very open and pure. I wanted to experiment with some tube output stages on this following on from a very successful mod of my TDA1541 Marantz CD30 player.

I've lifted both the + side outputs from the AK4393, feeding them onto the grids of two 6n6p in SRPP mode with separate B+ supplies. Initially i tried using both diff outputs from the chip with the (-) output onto the cathode of the lower triode for a poor man's unbalancer. I didn't like this at all. The sound was very strained and this config offers far too much gain. Unlistenable in my opinion. Reverting to just a single (+) output to each grid, leaving the (-) output loaded on the unused op-amp IC, the sound is amazing. I always know when something is 'right' because i feel the need to listen to all of my fav albums in one sitting A/B comparisons between the standard squeezebox output and the ak4393/6n6p stage prove that the sound is way more open and detailed from the ak4393/6n6p combination. Its easy to hear each instrument/voice in the music. I'm really quite astounded by this bit of kit.

see the link below for pic of my proto.. The big caps are AeroVox on the B+ to each tube.. Overkill but a solid HT.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-LZJ-dwxDdV...oto-780684.JPG
Old 14th January 2013, 05:23 AM   #2364
nebulix is offline nebulix  Canada
diyAudio Member

What improvements does the "ES" revision of the board include? I have the non ES board with an AK4396 DAC.
Old 14th January 2013, 05:29 AM   #2365
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes81 View Post
Found what I was looking for.

Cheers Halik!
I have a 15-0-15 3A transformer. It says in the ebay ad that you can jumper the 9V supply off one side of the 30V CT transformer thereby eliminating a 2nd transformer. Wouldn't this cause the transformer to become "unbalanced"? (By about 26mA. by the looks of it.)
Old 14th January 2013, 05:33 AM   #2366
diyAudio Member

What improvements does the "ES" revision of the board include? I have the non ES board with an AK4396 DAC.
Old 14th January 2013, 09:50 AM   #2367
Djinn is offline Djinn  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaveFremen View Post
Hi Martin,

Use a plain carbon film then , IMHO the Shinkoh is too much colored.

It's normal all kits are shipped with LPF parts for AK4393

Perfect.
Thank you for all the help Dario:-)

The 150Ohm PRP's are in the DAC and I am just shocked over the quality of the sound (My Denon DCD-S10 and Denon DVD-3910 internal DAC's have no where near this sound quality) :-)

The 150Ohm PRP's are standing in the "Socket,IC,SIP,2.54mm,Sn/Au" that you mentioned in earlyer post.

I am would like to test out some Carbon Film resistors that you mention, are the Takman REX a good choice here and are there maybe other types worth testing out? I see in the BOM that The Takman REY metal film are mentioned?

PS! I just ordered some 10nF Philips Polystyrene for testing. :-)

Old 16th January 2013, 01:00 AM   #2368
diyAudio Member

@ Erin & Dario,
Thank you for your patience :-) I have just finished reading the entire thread -wow this is long- and both of you have answered repetitive questions, not reacted to criticism, and exceeded in helping the noobs (of which I am one).

I am preparing to coagulate four of these DAC's into a 4-way active speaker project I am working on.
The components I have ordered thus far are:
4 x 2496 DAC kits (un-assembled, but with all the components and SMD mounted)
4 x Dario's complete BOM parts
4 x Dario's simplified shunt regulator parts
1 x Custom toroidal transformer 110v primary 15v-0-15v(30w), 15v-0-15v(30w), 15v-0-15v(30w), 15v-0-15v(30w) $65 shipped
1 x nanoDIGI 2x8K | miniDSP for stereo 4 way crossover

I will be using this setup to feed line level signal to a pair of Parasound HCA-2205 amps I already have (5x220watts) into 4 x IB318 subs, 2 x Dynaudio 12's, 2 x Dynaudio 3" dome mids, and 2 x 1" Dynaudio soft dome tweets. All calibrated via REW using a Tascam US-144MKii and a EMM-6 calibrated mic. Eventually I'll upgrade the Dynaudio drivers to JBL Selenium pro audio drivers, but that's about $1100 down the road, the Dynaudio's I have now...

I'll post up more as stuff arrives and the build begins. I do have a few questions though.

Is there anything to be done so far as tuning the individual DAC's specifically to the crossover sections they will reproduce? I.e. <50hz, 50-150hz, 150-3khz, >3khz (rough numbers for example only)

Would I be better off pulling the +5v and +3.3v sections (digital and analog separately) off the 15v-0-15v lines as per Dario's shunt diagram in google doc's for each DAC individually (with the addition of a second +5v leg on the opposing 15v output) -OR- a dedicated 12vdc (8 amp) power supply that would group all the <5v shunt supplies from a single preconditioned DC source?

Last for now, factual info only, would a vacuum tube "unbalancer" output stage be a more ACCURATE amplifiaction of the 4396's analog outputs vs. the dual OPA827 opamp -without- concern for the frequency response correction the LPF the opamp's perform, as I can compensate for this in the active crossover prior to the DAC's?
^^^ this question is really directed at Erin and Dario as I can see they read data sheets and I'm down with that, but if you can give technically accurate information and not speculation, I'd like your wisdom too :-)

First post is always long LoL :-) Sorry
Old 17th January 2013, 12:56 PM   #2369
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin View Post
This DAC kit is really outstanding. It is incredibly smooth, has great detail, and strong bass. I have a hard time finding anything to criticize, but If I had to criticize, I would say that I would like some greater dynamics, but perhaps this could be corrected by using a better op amp, discreet output stage, or tube output? I'm not sure its just a theory.
For $30 this DAC is a very safe bet. It is very responsive to changes you will make to it.
are u saying stock DAC is good? or after your mods?
Old 18th January 2013, 12:01 AM   #2370
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gychang View Post
are u saying stock DAC is good? or after your mods?
I made my comments after mods.

Hide this!Advertise here!