DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532 - Page 232 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th December 2012, 01:15 PM   #2311
Max1410 is offline Max1410  Germany
diyAudio Member

Dario, Thanks,
I will try with the Nichicon FP-CAPs (647-RS61C101MDS1JT).
Old 11th December 2012, 11:28 AM   #2312
diyAudio Member

Does anyone know what value the fuse is, as the supplied fuse has zero markings. Also would using a PCT device bring any audio improvement.

I don't know if this is appropriate for a DAC but on the old WAD site, Richard the mod experimented with using a much larger value fuse in the WAD tube power amps - from 1.6A to 5A. This mod was recommended but only when the amp was checked and found to be totally stable. A lot of WADders tried this and all had a positive re-action, AFAIK no one went back to using the smaller value fuse -comments please.
Old 11th December 2012, 11:24 PM   #2313
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

Fuses are there to stop fires and save your life. I dont know what value fuse came with your kit but I assume it would be low current. Somewhere from 20-100mA

is this the PCT device you were talking about?

Otherwise I don't know what a PCT device is.
Old 12th December 2012, 01:06 AM   #2314
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

I presume he means PTC ie resettable 'fuse'

but I agree increasing the fuse in the device to 5A is in effect the same as removing the fuse, its nolonger useful for protecting the lives of you and your family. if discovered it could also render your insurance void

Last edited by qusp; 12th December 2012 at 01:23 AM.
Old 12th December 2012, 02:35 AM   #2315
diyAudio Member

OK, A PTC resistor will behave like a variable resistor. When the current through the PTC increases, the resistance of the PTC will increase. This will form a voltage divider in your circuit. The load will still be drawing current (and dissipating power), and the PTC will dissipating power. This sounds like a recipe for disaster. A fire could easily start using a PTC instead of a fuse.

Not a good idea.
Old 12th December 2012, 11:00 AM   #2316
diyAudio Member

Well erin,
the guys on WAD have been using these uprated fuses for over 11 years now without any problem at all, in theory you are correct but this theory simply does'nt hold up in practice and the thicker wire does mean a better sound. These guys are'nt idiots and would'nt risk their equipment or their lives - 11 years of no problems is pretty conclusive evidence that this mod is not dangerous. I should add that two of the members who use this mod work in the power generation industry. It was also these two that told me that even though I plan to use alt. energy stored in batteries I could still expect to have some noise on the power lines - now that was a real surprise to me but they were emphatic.

Does'nt your dis block have over-voltage protection devices fitted, I used to have these on all my equipment.There does seem to be an 'inertia element' to some of the comments as to so much in the audio world. Just how many surge controls do you need. If a surge happens it's taken care of in the dis. block ergo no power distributed to the various equipment plugged into it - or am I missing something. Also with all the consumer units I have seen and lived with they trip very quickly. We have quite few thunderstorms where I live and if one happens within a few kilometers, the power companies small trip box will trip and I have to climb over a stile and trudge through sheep crap to reset it on the wall of the sheep pen.

Why does the UK persist with having fused mains plugs - not needed at all - on the mainland Shukos have no fuses - and no fires.

The variable resistors are used by some on another forum - I just mentioned them for comments.

Actually mini trips have been used for ages by many but again the 'inertia effect' has a stranglehold on many.

Aka this DAC - how many will fit this DAC into a flat rectangular box with scant if any venting to aid heat dissipation and we know from many comments that certain components generate a lot of heat. In the 1950s' and 60s' lots of papers were written on the effect on components of excessive heat - loss of operating parameters and decimating the life of components - drop the operating temperature by 10C and double the life of the component.

Thanks to my Dutch mate Harry, I have used active cooling in both my head and power hybrid amps for some years now, so why do so many insist on using totally inferior passive cooling, which is also very expensive - the inertia effect, or - we've always done it this way.

I intend to use the chassis provided by Along but on it's side with a simple brace to keep it upright with slots cut top and bottom where the PCB is, which will create a simple and effective conduction current. As I shall fit some of the components on the underside of the board I will use longer spacers so that conducted cooler air will shift heat on both sides of the board - simple and effective.

Just compare the mentality of those who work in computer design and those who work in audio - the only box you find in the computers world is the box they sell the computer in. I know of one small manufacturer in the audio business in the UK and he is actively working on using a liquid cooling system developed for computers but how many others are there like him?
Old 12th December 2012, 12:36 PM   #2317
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Stuart View Post
I know of one small manufacturer in the audio business in the UK and he is actively working on using a liquid cooling system developed for computers but how many others are there like him?
One in the U.S. also.

The Blat
Old 12th December 2012, 12:43 PM   #2318
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

haha, there is nothing theoretical about it, no problems is just good luck, they HAVE bypassed their safety and they HAVE rendered their insurance null and void. that is fact, not theory

PTCs are used for protecting equipment as a secondary measure, they are not a substitute for an actual fuse. if the fuse does not come into play before conditions that can cause explosive over-current, or fire, you may as well just short them.

what is a theory, is the act of oversizing a fuse larger than the max normal operating current of the equipment ever sees is something that improves sound

Last edited by qusp; 12th December 2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12th December 2012, 11:05 PM   #2319
diyAudio Member

Black Stuart, why ask a question if you don't want to receive advice?

Also, your insistence that your suggestion is safe is contrary to rule 3 of this forum.
Old 15th December 2012, 05:01 PM   #2320
diyAudio Member

Default op amp

Hi
By reading the many pages of this forum, I have bought this dac. I have tried it without change except op amp and I was already convinced of the quality of the sound. I tried several different op amp and to my surprise, it's a MC1458 that gave me the best results at listening. The different op amp I tested: OPA2134 - OPA2604 - LM4562 - TL072 - TL082 - lf383 -ne5532
What are the op amp are you using?
Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!