DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532 - Page 229 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th November 2012, 07:03 PM   #2281
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaveFremen View Post
It's simply because they're different products... my BOM is for the AK4396 MINI2496.
I understand but the function of the caps around the dac chip look similar, just that there is no filter cap on the 3.3V supply which is the one you increased to 100uF and changed to a solid type.

So would it be reasonable to assume the caps have a similar performance impact and that the Cerrafines for the 4 positions on the 4398 might be a good choice (3*10uF & 1*100uF), none of them bypassed as per the recommendations for the 4396?

I also ask because although your BOM is very well respected, ERIN seemed to favour solid caps throughout, and I guess many increased in capacitance value. So with me ordering a few 100uF LF caps and having a few spare thought these might be an equally viable alternative.
Old 28th November 2012, 09:47 PM   #2282
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Stuart View Post
If I use Shottkies to build bridges are these the right values - 2A/1000V?
Hi Stuart,

anything above 50V is good, we're dealing with less than 25V...

I like a lot soft recovery ones, like SBYV27

Quote:
I see that the Fischer heatsink is for using with the + reg. but none for the - regs, does that mean that the - regs generate no significant heat?
I would reverse... it's the positive one that needs additional dissipation since it supply also the DAC and not only the opamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Eddy View Post
I understand but the function of the caps around the dac chip look similar
(...)
So would it be reasonable to assume the caps have a similar performance impact and that the Cerrafines for the 4 positions on the 4398 might be a good choice (3*10uF & 1*100uF), none of them bypassed as per the recommendations for the 4396?
My BOM can be used as an 'inspiration' for your DAC, part selection (caps, resistors, opamps, regulators) still apply, but for parts around the DAC chip you should do youself a selection (use sockets like I did), I've selected every single part by listening tests, I can't assure the same apply for CS4398.
Old 29th November 2012, 07:30 AM   #2283
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Dario,
If I use Shottkies to build bridges are these the right values - 2A/1000V? I have postioned all the components on the board (without soldering) and I see that I shall have to hotglue the 3 x PS caps to the chassis, only then can I build the Shottkie bridges.
Stuart
I hope you don't mind me suggesting 11DQ10 schottky diodes.

I have listened to many schottky diodes, and they all basically sound the same. As long as they have enough current and voltage to work in your circuit they will all work.

Personally I have also tried soft recovery diodes and find them to not sound as good as any schottky.
Old 30th November 2012, 12:22 PM   #2284
diyAudio Member

Is the value of the inductors critical - I ask because I can get values under or over 1.50uH from Distrelec - I don't want to have to order just a couple of components from another supplier and pay plenty in postage costs.

How are kit builders dealing with the LEDS since Along does'nt supply any kind of fixing for these.
Old 1st December 2012, 03:58 PM   #2285
diyAudio Member

Whilst trawling for prices on op-amps I saw something interesting on Tamaudio - op-amps biased into class A - any comments? They (Tam) rec. 3.9K for the resistors - I can't see where the 1st leg of the 2nd resistor is soldered, any ideas?

Also saw the prices for op-amps on the Cimarron/Brown Dog site - $8 a pop for OPA827 and $3 for the adaptor, those are not bad prices and one would hope that they are genuine.

Stuart
Old 2nd December 2012, 01:10 PM   #2286
diyAudio Member

Ignore the first part of my last post - check out Tamaudio and the two sites that they list - Headfonia, for the clear photos of just using Rs and Audiologica which gives a very detailed desciption of dos' and donts'.

Stuart
Old 3rd December 2012, 10:06 PM   #2287
diyAudio Member

Default Top 10 Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg66 View Post
cheers again, clave. once i've done this (hopefully!), can u pm your paypal email, i'll buy you a few beers for your efforts with the BOM etc!
Hi,
Can anyone please list out the top 10 mods which really make a difference or a critical for correct function.

Regards
Vinod
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:28 PM   #2288
diyAudio Member

i don't know which are the top ten, but here's the link for dario's BOM, images and schematic
https://drive.google.com/?authuser=0...UzNzhjODI5MWRm
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:29 PM   #2289
diyAudio Member

also, here's images of the brown dog mod
DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:57 PM   #2290
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodt1347 View Post
Can anyone please list out the top 10 mods which really make a difference or a critical for correct function.
LPF parts and values, Nichicon LF, On Semi regulators.

Quote:
Also saw the prices for op-amps on the Cimarron/Brown Dog site - $8 a pop for OPA827 and $3 for the adaptor, those are not bad prices and one would hope that they are genuine.
OPA827 are 12$ a pop from Cimarron website.... BTW it's still a good price.

Hide this!Advertise here!