Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st October 2012, 04:58 AM   #2171
tubo is offline tubo  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Hi guys,

Im awaiting arrival of my dac which i will be populating with Darios bom. Im anxious to hear how it sounds and i just want to know what you're impressions are in regards to how it makes music.

Have someone compared this to commercially available high end dacs? If so, how do they stack up against them..

Thanks guys
Old 22nd October 2012, 04:03 PM   #2172
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I've decided to bite on this DAC and here's what I'm proposing to do in the light of what I've read on this thread.

To buy a completed AK4396 but ask that the seller just solders the 2 ics and leave the rest to me - has anyone asked the same and if so what was the response?

My reason for buying the finished deal is that the cost of buying both a chassis and mains Tx as seperates just does'nt make economic sense.

I'd also like to buy a second blank PCB so I can easily compare an op-amp to resistor/cap o/put by changing the PCBs.

I fully appreciate that most PCBs don't like to messed with, hence the second PCB.

Somewhere on this thread I saw a YoutTube video on soldering ics but damned if I can find it now. I'm intrigued as to what looked like liquid flux that was being used and the large bit that was being used which surprised me - it's the same kind of bit I always use.

Secondly could someone kindly provide the link to Dario's final BOM.

Tubo - right near the beginning of this thread, Erin posted a comparison to W4S DAC 2.

Stuart
Old 22nd October 2012, 04:24 PM   #2173
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

AK4396 is a voltage out dac (doesnt need an IV stage) with switched capacitor outputs, unless you want a low pass filter on the output, you dont really need anything except maybe a buffer depending on the next stage (preamp, amp etc). its output is centered on ground, doesnt need any AC coupling caps either
Old 22nd October 2012, 09:06 PM   #2174
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiffre View Post
Hey, I was wondering what wires to use for U.S. 115v on a CS8416+CS4398 DAC. I have a 30w transformer (pictured). The DAC has a three wire input on the left side and a two wire input on the right. what colors do I insert in each one? also what wires on the transformer go the power source? Thanks in advance.
Black and green for USA 115V.
Old 22nd October 2012, 09:10 PM   #2175
diyAudio Member

Seller along1986090 on ebay sells both of them. Assembled, or not assembled. If you cannot solder the SMD's, ask him, he will do it for free.

I have good experience with him. I already bought 6 kit's from him, and one is now broken (short circuit on the digital side). Without any questions, he will send me a new one. He asked to send the broken one back, but sending to China by even regular mail, was more expensive than buying a new one. He said no problem, you do not need to send it back then....

Good service.
Old 22nd October 2012, 09:25 PM   #2176
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

Full BOM

Upgrade BOM
Old 22nd October 2012, 09:52 PM   #2177
Peterma is offline Peterma  Australia
diyAudio Member

I just want to warn everybody not to buy from rclithiumpolymer a seller on ebay. I Ordered eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d?r back in august , he then waited 3 weeks before posting, i emailed to ask why he said he is waiting for new stock, (webpage said he had more than ten in stock) then 4 weeks later still no parcel, Hong Kong post Offce tracking number :RA195799855HK, Aust post office says not arrived. I payed with paypal but they could not help with a resolution because he supplied a tracking number. So now i am left with his email saying that he has lodged an enquiry with hong kong post office, so i wont hold my breath.
Old 23rd October 2012, 10:11 AM   #2178
diyAudio Member

qusp,
the feed will be to my Bada PH32 valve/pre/mosfet o/put. I have to use the lowest gain position in my Edwards MC3 phono stage. It has lots of op-amps and sounds wonderfully detailed, so much for opinions on op-amps - does'nt it all come down to design and implementation?

I've seen so many conflicting accounts of what is best (in sound terms) that I shall try 1st, o/put directly from the chip, 2nd via op-amp (not the supplied one) 3rd by cap with and without resistor and maybe via o/put txs but this last only if totally unsatisfied with the other options.

BTW - I was surprised that carbon Rs are rec. in the signal path. I bought a Bada PH12 h/amp partly because it came out top in a Head-fi shoot out and partly because I was intrigued at how a hybrid amp would sound being a valve man then. I was completely underwhelmed and set about trying to improve the sound. Apart from getting rid of all Solen and Wima caps I shunted the Alps blue pot with Z foils - what a difference. I then changed all the signal path Rs with Z foils. That and cap changes made it into a really good h/amp - I've had it for 6 years now and is game over.

Just for an experiment I replaced Z foils in just one position with various other Rs - AN Tants/Riken/Kiwame/Takman and bog standard metal film from Maplins - all impacted on the sound negatively, detail lost, fuzzy - just plain awful, Ironically the Maplins metal film were the best of a bad bunch.

If anyone wants to try these do not buy from Chalfont in the UK - they have dropped their prices a little but are still over 200% more expensive than buying from Texas Components, for anyone who wants to know why, PM me because the answer is not relevant to this forum.

I cannot rec. the Z foils highly enough - they can be summed up in one word - transparent. If I do use the op-amp o/put route I will definately use these.

bcmbob/haik - many thanks both of you.

I'd also like to say that it's great to have a thread that has no bitching or trolls which has ruined so many threads on so many forums.
Old 23rd October 2012, 10:25 AM   #2179
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Stuart View Post
it came out top in a Head-fi shoot out
There are many inferences that Head-Fi allows positive reviews and comments of its sponsors products and bans people who have alternate opinions of the product(s) being reviewed. See the links below.....

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=banned+from+head+fi

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com.au/2011/...t-head-fi.html

http://bannedfromheadfi.blogspot.com.au/

http://www.totallydubbed.net/being-b...jude-mansilla/

Make up your own mind...

Last edited by erin; 23rd October 2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 23rd October 2012, 10:44 AM   #2180
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

I realise that your comment was directed at qusp, but I hope you dont mind me commenting.

Quote:
BTW - I was surprised that carbon Rs are rec. in the signal path.
I don't think we have heard any complaints about the sound yet... but there could always be a first

Quote:
I cannot rec. the Z foils highly enough - they can be summed up in one word - transparent. If I do use the op-amp o/put route I will definately use these.
Your comment on the sound is very appreciated. trying things for yourself is the best way to find out what suits your ears and your system. I agree that z-foil is transparent sounding but what I don't like about them is that I find them to sound sterile. My preference is for Welwyn W21 wire-wound resistors. Have you ever tried these?

Quote:
I'd also like to say that it's great to have a thread that has no bitching or trolls which has ruined so many threads on so many forums.
There are less here but it still occasionally happens sadly.

Hide this!Advertise here!