DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532 - Page 203 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th July 2012, 06:25 PM   #2021
diyAudio Member

Thanks VT67,

You saved me the trouble of pulling them off the stock board for measuring (after reading up on how to do so)

Regards,
D
Old 24th July 2012, 06:35 PM   #2022
diyAudio Member

Perhaps it's purpose is for EMI supression? Should any old ferrite bead suffice?

Something like this
Old 24th July 2012, 07:24 PM   #2023
diyAudio Member

Default Looking at L1 & L2

These are the two small ferrite beads that come with the kit, right?

I just compared mine to the photos from an ebay listing (zoe_tsang); no markings or stampings to be seen. Would have to get a frequency generator to test & come up with values. Anyone able to do this?
Old 25th July 2012, 08:04 AM   #2024
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

Just got a reply to a message sent to along1986090 confirming L1 & L2 are 1.5 UH. Thanks Mr. A.
Old 25th July 2012, 11:25 AM   #2025
diyAudio Member

Thanks Bob
Old 25th July 2012, 02:36 PM   #2026
diyAudio Member

Your welcome.

I also got through to Antek on the R-Core question. As usual, market forces determine what they sell/manufacture - and they only get around ten requests for R-Cores per year from domestic customers. He was not aware of any manufacturer outside of China.
So it appears if we in the States want some we have to pay for the boat ride across the pond.

Last edited by bcmbob; 25th July 2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 26th July 2012, 03:59 AM   #2027
diyAudio Member

hi dario and fellas,

which component swap do you think makes the most worthwhile mod?
Old 26th July 2012, 09:41 AM   #2028
diyAudio Member

I think it is a combination. Dario's BOM is pretty good. If you change most of the list, you get very very nice results.
Old 26th July 2012, 09:45 AM   #2029
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSapian View Post
which component swap do you think makes the most worthwhile mod?
Each component in BOM gives an improment.

If you really have to choose I would start from LPF components and voltage regulators.
Old 27th July 2012, 09:48 PM   #2030
diyAudio Member

No Blindfold Necessary -

To my ears, there are enough differences between optical and BNC feed to clearly hear what's being used. The optical is quite a bit cleaner and precise. That comes at the cost of a good amount of "flavor" that flows over BNC/RG59. The optical sounds like the speakers were moved 3 to 6 feet away from the listener while BNC sounds like your inside the performance if the recording has that character. What is most noticeable to me is the reduction of the bottom end with optical. It will take more listening to figure out if that is simply less or a better balance. Cymbals in a jazz group are crisp and wonderfully detailed but lack some inner resonance.

The Toslink is very sensitive to a bad/loose fit in the socket and the LEDs on the board flash intermittently at plugin, as though a sync operation is settling in. BNC is as solid as can be with it's self-locking/self-aligning design. For a good comparison, I used a 20ft Toslink as the BNC is 18ft. I will move the computer closer to the DAC/Amp to test with standard 3ft interconnects in a day or so.

I'm sorry to keep doing this, but I honestly don't know which I prefer at the moment. I am suspecting there will be a difference in ear fatigue over long sessions but that will take a few days to determine. I'm still thinking the extra circuitry needed at both ends of the optical link has to do some filtering in the translation to and from light. That's two extra steps.

So in short - IMHO, the Optical sounds like a very precise and detailed high quality audio system. The BNC - though maybe a touch "messy" in comparison - gets my vote for warmth and realism. Oh the choices.

One thing I am sure of - the combination of the Mini2496 and the FE amps is great if the sound of interconnects can be heard so easily.

_
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TORX.jpg (242.0 KB, 539 views)

Last edited by bcmbob; 27th July 2012 at 09:51 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!