DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532 - Page 188 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th June 2012, 06:42 AM   #1871
hotiron is offline hotiron  Scotland
diyAudio Member

If you mean this one Slider.
Simplistic Mosfet HV Shunt Regs

Its a high voltage shunt and is no good for this application.
Old 13th June 2012, 10:39 AM   #1872
diyAudio Member

Default volume different

Hello,

I used Dario's BOM to build this DAC. It works fine.

I notice that the analog output has a lower output (voltage) than the original DAC in the CD player. I need to add volume on the amplifier to get the level normal.

Is this normal? And how to counteract this? In other word, what parts are responsible for the amplification? I assume R23 and R29?

Haik
Old 13th June 2012, 10:57 AM   #1873
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch33ta View Post
Have to agree with fulvio on this one...
I read over the CS8416 datasheet countless times, and on page 27 you'll find this;

"The input voltage range for the input multiplexer is set by the I/O power supply pin, VL. The input voltage
of the RXP[7:0] and RXN pins is also set by the level of VL. Input signals with voltage levels above VL or
below DGND may degrade performance or damage the part.
"

So, it would be wise to keep SPDIF input voltage below the VL. Doesn't mean it won't work, but try it at your own risk...
Or you can put a simple resistor voltage divider, but it may not be the best solution...
In which case, to avoid dividers and such on the spdif input, run the output of u8 to vl and all will be good.
Old 13th June 2012, 11:43 AM   #1874
ch33ta is offline ch33ta  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to ch33ta Send a message via Yahoo to ch33ta
That means the entire AK4396 (both digital and analog part) and the digital part of the CS8416 would share a common 5V supply. This can greatly affect the performance of the DAC (for the worse).
It's the lesser of two evils in which I would choose a voltage divider on SPDIF...
Old 13th June 2012, 12:22 PM   #1875
diyAudio Member

I really wouldn't choose either way. I was just saying it could be done that way.
Both methods are really bad. I wouldn't want to put a resistor divider on my spdif, but rf attenuators seem to be ok.
Old 13th June 2012, 12:32 PM   #1876
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

haik,

I'm using an excellent preamp with this DAC. Please check out the new thread for developments on its use an optimization. JA Pre and MyRef - FE Integration
Old 13th June 2012, 09:35 PM   #1877
fulvio is offline fulvio  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin View Post
I really wouldn't choose either way. I was just saying it could be done that way.
Both methods are really bad. I wouldn't want to put a resistor divider on my spdif, but rf attenuators seem to be ok.
Erin, Iíve worked for about 30 years in RF and I can ensure you that a voltage divider work as well as an RF attenuator, providing you match the terminal impedances.
I would be more worried for other reasons, for example the low frequency cut of a pulse transformer, that can add a lot of intersymbol interference, that means more jitter.
How many transformers satisfy the AES/EBU requirement of a low frequency cut below 1/10 of the sampling frequency, that is below 4.4 KHz for a CD ?
Old 14th June 2012, 09:14 AM   #1878
diyAudio Member

Fulvio, is your 26LS32 sharing the same power and ground as the AK4393 board?
What advantage do you find to using this chip?

PS. I wrote an earlier reply. It was intended as humorous. but I deleted it because I thought it could be misinterpreted.
Old 14th June 2012, 09:17 AM   #1879
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulvio View Post
Erin, Iíve worked for about 30 years in RF and I can ensure you that a voltage divider work as well as an RF attenuator, providing you match the terminal impedances.
I would be more worried for other reasons, for example the low frequency cut of a pulse transformer, that can add a lot of intersymbol interference, that means more jitter.
How many transformers satisfy the AES/EBU requirement of a low frequency cut below 1/10 of the sampling frequency, that is below 4.4 KHz for a CD ?
Is that the reason to favor optical connection in stead of a coaxial for S/PDIF?
Old 14th June 2012, 05:08 PM   #1880
fulvio is offline fulvio  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin View Post
Fulvio, is your 26LS32 sharing the same power and ground as the AK4393 board?
What advantage do you find to using this chip?.
Erin, the power supply for 26LS32 is separate from the DAC board supply; for this one I used shunt regulators based on TL431 (see post 1871): simple, but it works.
I added to the DAC board an input selector with two optical SPDIF, two coax SPDIF and a balanced input; the last one is intended as an input for the signal coming from my computer; differential input allows ground separation and less noise from the computer PSU.
I don't like transformers (because, in my opinion, their poor response at lower frequency increase intersymbol interference), so the alternative is a balanced line receiver, like 26LS32.
Anyway, I'm going to try other line receivers, faster than 26LS32, as soon as I'll get them as free samples from TI.

Hide this!Advertise here!