DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532 - Page 147 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2012, 01:14 PM   #1461
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idjoel2000 View Post
just buy an spdif optical module, and connect it to the spdif input in the board

add a switch if you want to use optical and coaxial input simultaneously
Thank Djoel
Old 28th March 2012, 01:26 PM   #1462
diyAudio Member

Default i2s

if we want to use only the I2S pin no 4, 8, 9 of ak 4393 (chip dac) are connected where?

Last edited by Lucky Hawk; 28th March 2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 28th March 2012, 01:54 PM   #1463
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idjoel2000 View Post
just buy an spdif optical module, and connect it to the spdif input in the board

add a switch if you want to use optical and coaxial input simultaneously
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtses View Post
build you own very simple and cheap.
Thank djoel & dtses
Old 28th March 2012, 03:49 PM   #1464
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Hawk View Post
how can this be added optical input to the DAC ?
I'm using this one.

Very well made.
Old 28th March 2012, 05:42 PM   #1465
50AE is offline 50AE  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggetzoff View Post
My next project will to build Broskie's Unblancer for this DAC. The Unbalancer takes the full diff output from the chip and outputs SE signal, but the summation occurs in a cathode follower instead of an Opamp.
Do it! When I did, the DAC started to sound like magic! Oh, I miss it now because I burnt up my AK4393 chip and waiting for 4396s to be delivered. The unbalancer means alls these components around the opamp and the sand gone.

When I remember how Three Wishes from Roger Waters sounded, I almost get tears. The last time I modded the unbalancer, it was with K52-2 AgTa russian output capacitors. The effect was amazing - so much increase in space.

I am now finishing my power supply for the DAC - two channel EZ81 with 47uF electrolytic and then LCLCRC filtering with 4uF non electrolytic caps, 5H chokes and 300Ohm resistor. The final version of the DAC will have a tube voltage regulator.

I'll say it again - do the unbalancer, you won't regret it.
Old 28th March 2012, 05:49 PM   #1466
VT67 is offline VT67  Belgium
diyAudio Member

What in the beginning looked to be the hardest part to source, well....... it's the first that has being delivered!!!
Now I really need the rest.

Regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SMR_Caps.jpg (606.6 KB, 533 views)
Old 28th March 2012, 06:19 PM   #1467
von Ah is offline von Ah  United States
diyAudio Member

Just received one of these in finished, cased-up form. I'm very impressed with the build quality and sound for the price.
Before first power up I changed the opamp to the Brown Dog dual OPA827 and put clip-on heat sinks on the regulators. Pretty simple for this novice DIY'er. Maybe next up will be to replace the feet with some much less odorous rubber.
I like it! After the kids are finished watching TV, I'll try it out as the primary music DAC in the main rig.
Thanks to Dario for the great development of this thread.
Cheers!
Old 28th March 2012, 09:30 PM   #1468
hotiron is offline hotiron  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggetzoff View Post
I've had a chance to listen to my build which was accomplished using ClaveFreman's BOM. I've been comparing it to my Oppo BDP-95 and at first I thought that the BDP-95 trounced it and then i changed the crummy internal hook-up that i was using with pure silver 26 AWG jacketed in teflon. That made a huge difference and I can say that this board with the OPA827 on each output is far closer to the Oppo than it was before.

Musically, this dac is incredible for the money (just over USD $100) with Clave's BOM. This is the kind of DAC that makes you sit back and enjoy the music and l've listen to track after track with it and it's simply enjoyable. Is it as good as the 95? No, but the 95 uses an I-OUT part that is another generation ahead, it mostly beats the 4396 on noise. It really is impossible to compare parts unless you want to set up identical setups, measure, listen and make your own conclusions. In reality, it's silly because the core of each of these DACs is so different. Plus, the player feeds the DAC with I2s and I feed SPDIF to the AKM board. Again, kind of unfair.

The one thing that I must say is that surface mounts and components don't do bass, treble, midrange, increase or decrease soundstage width or depth. What they do is either a better or worse job than than their peers, but they don't "do music" better than other's, much to the chagrin of many. Having said that, the aggregate of Clave's BOM build is an excellent sounding DAC that competes very well with XYZ over-priced commercial DACs that I have owned or auditioned.

My next project will to build Broskie's Unblancer for this DAC. The Unbalancer takes the full diff output from the chip and outputs SE signal, but the summation occurs in a cathode follower instead of an Opamp.

I can't coment on the boards stock sound because I ordered the kit and never tried the stock components, but the stock LPF values aren't correct, so it's really a worthless comparison anyway!

The BOM was purchased through Mouser, Parts Connexion, and I bought the OPA827s off of an Ebay vendor in Washington state. The dual to single dip header adapter for the Opamps came from Cimmaron Technologies.

What I can say is if you need an affordable DAC that sounds great, build this one
Old 28th March 2012, 09:34 PM   #1469
hotiron is offline hotiron  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I would suggest you learn a bit more about transformers and the dangers of such before you delve into tube voltages. These can be lethal.
Old 28th March 2012, 09:37 PM   #1470
diyAudio Member

It might take a few weeks yet, but I am preparing a thread on DIY Sulzer/Jung supplies having this DAC as my first application.

I still have to think of a way to lower the output voltage down to 3.3VDC to feed the digital parts directly, bypassing the original SMD regulators.

For the output stage I'm planning two modules versions to start with: one for dual IC and just one +/- regulated supply; another one with two single ICs and two separate +/- supplies.

Sulzer/Jung supplies are considered the most sophisticated feedback-based regulators. At the time these regulators were introduced in '95 in The Audio Amateur, they were applied on a Philips DAC960 with excellent results. A version of these regulators is also sold by Burson and others.

AFAIK they hold the best specs around in noise, line rejection and output impedance, better than any 3-pin regulator available.

There's also a high voltage version that has not been tried yet which I'm willing to do to use on the low current stages of a power amp of mine. But this could also be applied to power a high-voltage valve stage.

"Valve stuff" is not easy to find in Brasil. By "stuff" I mean mostly valves themselves and supply inductors, so such a regulator might be an option for the supply at least.

Last edited by carlmart; 28th March 2012 at 09:40 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!