DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532 - Page 146 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th March 2012, 05:19 PM   #1451
VT67 is offline VT67  Belgium
diyAudio Member

OK, just placed an order at Elfa.se. and shipping charges are, well euhh...... a b***h! I ordered 50 pieces just to justify the shipping cost. So if anybody else needs this cap to complete there project, I have a few to spare at 1 a pop.

Regards
Old 27th March 2012, 11:23 PM   #1452
diyAudio Member

Default Listening impressions

I've had a chance to listen to my build which was accomplished using ClaveFreman's BOM. I've been comparing it to my Oppo BDP-95 and at first I thought that the BDP-95 trounced it and then i changed the crummy internal hook-up that i was using with pure silver 26 AWG jacketed in teflon. That made a huge difference and I can say that this board with the OPA827 on each output is far closer to the Oppo than it was before.

Musically, this dac is incredible for the money (just over USD $100) with Clave's BOM. This is the kind of DAC that makes you sit back and enjoy the music and l've listen to track after track with it and it's simply enjoyable. Is it as good as the 95? No, but the 95 uses an I-OUT part that is another generation ahead, it mostly beats the 4396 on noise. It really is impossible to compare parts unless you want to set up identical setups, measure, listen and make your own conclusions. In reality, it's silly because the core of each of these DACs is so different. Plus, the player feeds the DAC with I2s and I feed SPDIF to the AKM board. Again, kind of unfair.

The one thing that I must say is that surface mounts and components don't do bass, treble, midrange, increase or decrease soundstage width or depth. What they do is either a better or worse job than than their peers, but they don't "do music" better than other's, much to the chagrin of many. Having said that, the aggregate of Clave's BOM build is an excellent sounding DAC that competes very well with XYZ over-priced commercial DACs that I have owned or auditioned.

My next project will to build Broskie's Unblancer for this DAC. The Unbalancer takes the full diff output from the chip and outputs SE signal, but the summation occurs in a cathode follower instead of an Opamp.

I can't coment on the boards stock sound because I ordered the kit and never tried the stock components, but the stock LPF values aren't correct, so it's really a worthless comparison anyway!

The BOM was purchased through Mouser, Parts Connexion, and I bought the OPA827s off of an Ebay vendor in Washington state. The dual to single dip header adapter for the Opamps came from Cimmaron Technologies.

What I can say is if you need an affordable DAC that sounds great, build this one
Old 27th March 2012, 11:57 PM   #1453
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggetzoff View Post
I've had a chance to listen to my build which was accomplished using ClaveFreman's BOM.
Musically, this dac is incredible for the money (just over USD $100) with Clave's BOM.
Having said that, the aggregate of Clave's BOM build is an excellent sounding DAC that competes very well with XYZ over-priced commercial DACs that I have owned or auditioned.
I'm happy you're enjoying your DAC

Quote:
...but the stock LPF values aren't correct, so it's really a worthless comparison anyway!
So, according to people that replace the opamp LPF without taking in account the filter specified in datasheet (fc=125kHz, Q=0,692), we're both deaf...
Old 28th March 2012, 12:18 AM   #1454
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

ggetzoff,

I also have an oppo BDP-95 that I've listened to for years. I am feeding the stock version of this DAC with flac files from a computer and it is just fantastic. Better than any CD I have heard. Have you tried this type of media? Unless one uses uncompressed recordings like flac or Apple Lossless the quality can't be heard. Havn't checked it out yet, but a friend told me most of the industry will stop a majority of their CD production next year.

Take a look at this thread for a media server I'm working on.

MyRef Integrated Solutions

Regards
Old 28th March 2012, 02:27 AM   #1455
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmbob View Post
ggetzoff,

I also have an oppo BDP-95 that I've listened to for years. I am feeding the stock version of this DAC with flac files from a computer and it is just fantastic. Better than any CD I have heard. Have you tried this type of media? Unless one uses uncompressed recordings like flac or Apple Lossless the quality can't be heard. Havn't checked it out yet, but a friend told me most of the industry will stop a majority of their CD production next year.

Take a look at this thread for a media server I'm working on.

MyRef Integrated Solutions

Regards
bcmbob,

PC wise, that's what I plan on building, nice work. The 4396 board is going in a fiddleback Makore veneered Baltic Birch enclosure with my DCB1. Later, it will by tried with the Unbalancer.

The DAC with Dario's BOM is a treat and very difficult to beat unless it's one of the newer gen chips like AK4399 or ES9018. I would suggest you change the LPF. Again, it rocks.
Old 28th March 2012, 06:46 AM   #1456
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I've had a chance to listen to my build which was accomplished using ClaveFreman's BOM. I've been comparing it to my Oppo BDP-95 and at first I thought that the BDP-95 trounced it and then i changed the crummy internal hook-up that i was using with pure silver 26 AWG jacketed in teflon. That made a huge difference and I can say that this board with the OPA827 on each output is far closer to the Oppo than it was before.

Musically, this dac is incredible for the money (just over USD $100) with Clave's BOM. This is the kind of DAC that makes you sit back and enjoy the music and l've listen to track after track with it and it's simply enjoyable. Is it as good as the 95? No, but the 95 uses an I-OUT part that is another generation ahead, it mostly beats the 4396 on noise. It really is impossible to compare parts unless you want to set up identical setups, measure, listen and make your own conclusions. In reality, it's silly because the core of each of these DACs is so different. Plus, the player feeds the DAC with I2s and I feed SPDIF to the AKM board. Again, kind of unfair.

The one thing that I must say is that surface mounts and components don't do bass, treble, midrange, increase or decrease soundstage width or depth. What they do is either a better or worse job than than their peers, but they don't "do music" better than other's, much to the chagrin of many. Having said that, the aggregate of Clave's BOM build is an excellent sounding DAC that competes very well with XYZ over-priced commercial DACs that I have owned or auditioned.

My next project will to build Broskie's Unblancer for this DAC. The Unbalancer takes the full diff output from the chip and outputs SE signal, but the summation occurs in a cathode follower instead of an Opamp.

I can't coment on the boards stock sound because I ordered the kit and never tried the stock components, but the stock LPF values aren't correct, so it's really a worthless comparison anyway!

The BOM was purchased through Mouser, Parts Connexion, and I bought the OPA827s off of an Ebay vendor in Washington state. The dual to single dip header adapter for the Opamps came from Cimmaron Technologies.

What I can say is if you need an affordable DAC that sounds great, build this one
x2, i'm planning to build unbalancer as well

do you already have the board? they're out of stock at this moment in glassware store..

should i just build them point to point.. i already bought some of the parts so if i must go with BCF, these parts will go to waste

Last edited by idjoel2000; 28th March 2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old 28th March 2012, 07:52 AM   #1457
diyAudio Member

Default optical input

how can this be added optical input to the DAC ?
Old 28th March 2012, 07:53 AM   #1458
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Hawk View Post
just buy an spdif optical module, and connect it to the spdif input in the board

add a switch if you want to use optical and coaxial input simultaneously
Old 28th March 2012, 11:22 AM   #1459
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Hawk View Post
build you own very simple and cheap.
Old 28th March 2012, 11:36 AM   #1460
diyAudio Member

I was inspired by plenty of great reviews here and couldn't resist to gain the pcb for my next project I would stay with ClaveFremen's BoM + list of improvemnts + going to add salas shunt reg for opam, hence the questions:

1. what transformers would I need? According to schematics 0-9va transformer could be about 3-4VA, no need to have bigger I assume.
What recommendations would be regarding the 2nd one? Would 7-8VA be enough for analogue sections and opams?

2. those who added salas regs instead of LMs, could I stay with one +-15v (opams + U6 & U8 according to the scheme) and one for D+3.3 completely omitting U4 and U5 regs?

3. will shunt regs make any noticeable difference at all considering other components of hight quality (1% resistors, Elna's, FCs, etc)?

Last edited by dtses; 28th March 2012 at 11:40 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!