DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532 - Page 138 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2012, 02:38 PM   #1371
bismuth is offline bismuth  France
diyAudio Member

@Giobax :
You can get I2S out of your Hiface by tapping wires, then you could try to feed directly the AKM dac on this board bypassing the I2S->SPDIF->I2S chain (hence the DIR PLL induced jitter).

With a little mod on this board (ACKS pin to HI see pic), you can also set it in auto mode for master clock.

With short coax or twisted pairs and proper grounding I think you could get good results.

A question about your shunt regulators for OPAMP rails, what capacitor values are you using on shunts and local ones to decouple OPAMP ? For now, I get weird (oscillation) results with my Salas +/-15V regs at this place...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_8493.jpg (294.2 KB, 608 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_8504.jpg (185.6 KB, 577 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_8487.jpg (121.3 KB, 561 views)
Old 21st March 2012, 02:50 PM   #1372
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giobax View Post
Only one OPA627?!?! It's a single opamp and you need two, one each channel.

Giovanni
I thought OPA827 were single channel. OPA627 is a dual op amp. As I said it works fine in another identical DAC.
Old 21st March 2012, 02:53 PM   #1373
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canetoad View Post
I thought OPA827 were single channel. OPA627 is a dual op amp. As I said it works fine in another identical DAC.
OPA827 and OPA627 are both single opamps from TI/Burr-Brown.

Maybe yours is AD827 from Analog Devices, which is a dual and completely different part...

Or maybe ADA4627 from Analog devices which is single...

Last edited by ClaveFremen; 21st March 2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 21st March 2012, 03:56 PM   #1374
Giobax is offline Giobax  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmbob View Post
Giovann, this appears to be an additional component (Re: post # 1347). Can you describe the full signal path with all the pieces from source (PC, iPod ??) all the way to the power amp?

Thanks.
I can not understand what you mean with "an additional component ".
About the signal path:
PC--> M2Tech hiFace-->DAC2496 (this one)-->Buffer B1 (Pass) --> Aleph M (Pass). Nothing else. What you see in post 1347 is only the 2496 dac with its 6 power supply, each one feeded from a different secondary winding.Nothing else.

Giovanni
Old 21st March 2012, 04:03 PM   #1375
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canetoad View Post
dude, 627 is single opamp. don't be hard-headed
Old 21st March 2012, 04:43 PM   #1376
Giobax is offline Giobax  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismuth View Post
@Giobax :
You can get I2S out of your Hiface by tapping wires, then you could try to feed directly the AKM dac on this board bypassing the I2S->SPDIF->I2S chain (hence the DIR PLL induced jitter).

With a little mod on this board (ACKS pin to HI see pic), you can also set it in auto mode for master clock.

With short coax or twisted pairs and proper grounding I think you could get good results.
Thank you for the valuable advice, as I have just a little time I will try this interestin mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismuth View Post
A question about your shunt regulators for OPAMP rails, what capacitor values are you using on shunts and local ones to decouple OPAMP ? For now, I get weird (oscillation) results with my Salas +/-15V regs at this place...
I use version 1.0 of Salas shunt,

Click the image to open in full size.

On shunt output and remote sensing Nichicon 220uF whit a little 0,1uF to bypass. For opamp decupling Elna Silmic II 100uF. I completely removed all other caps on OPAMP rails....and now..I remenber i forgot to put the 10nF FKP2 cap that Dario reccomended to decouple OPAMP +V-V rail!!!
CCS resistor 15 Ohm for around 180mA. Shunts are powered by double 15V secondary of the R-core transformer. 3,3V and 5V for analogic section by double 9V of the same transformer. Two separate 3,3 for digital came from a second transformer (the blu one on photo): no Salas shunt for them...only the lm1117(3,3V) from the kit and two new L7809CTG (and all the caps they need).

Giovanni
Old 21st March 2012, 05:02 PM   #1377
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giobax View Post
and now..I remenber i forgot to put the 10nF FKP2 cap that Dario reccomended to decouple OPAMP +V-V rail!!!
That cap it's not required for regular operation/stability but for a better sound (tight, snappy bass).

If bass performance suit your taste you can omit it.
Old 21st March 2012, 09:22 PM   #1378
50AE is offline 50AE  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

I guess I just fried my AK4393 chip. The 5V SMD reg blew, so I bought a 7805 for temporary work. Minutes afterwards the music playback stopped and.. 12V on the analog PS pin.

I knew this shop was selling typos and I feel like cutting their heads off right now..
I can only get AK4396 the fastest way, but I guess I have to change some components values. May you give some tips about it?
Old 21st March 2012, 10:28 PM   #1379
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE View Post
I can only get AK4396 the fastest way, but I guess I have to change some components values. May you give some tips about it?
AK4396 will be a perfect fit, no components value must be changed, it works perfectly as is but for optimal frequency response, IMHO, LPF's resistors and caps value should be changed according my BOM (see 'Signal Path (AK4396)' section).

BTW AK4396 is a much better DAC...
Old 21st March 2012, 11:04 PM   #1380
50AE is offline 50AE  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Great! No need to change anything, because I use my tube output with direct out.

Thanks again for your fast and kind answer.

Hide this!Advertise here!