DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532 - Page 136 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2012, 08:53 AM   #1351
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giobax View Post
Hi folks.
regarding this dac with shunt PSU, this is mine:

Click the image to open in full size.

4x Salas shunt (+12V and -12 for Opa, +5V and +3,3V for analog) and 2 separate 3,3V for AK4393 and CS8416 digital section (lm7812 + lm1117).
Modded at 90% in according of Dario's BOM, OPA827 in output.

Giovanni
My experience with the SALAS Shunt Reg .
I made many tests on the PSU and i find that the significant improvements are on the +12/-12v and +5v ( AK4396).
I didn't find any improvement elsewhere ........MY OPINION

Today i check a LT1021 a precision reference on the AK4396 .....

Serge
Old 20th March 2012, 01:09 PM   #1352
billo44 is offline billo44  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaveFremen View Post

Apart the various output approaches (direct, transformers, valves) different from opamp LPF all the rest can be found on my Google Docs folder.
Thanks a lot! I was getting confused about which BOM was up to date.
So I started working backwards and found your google docs link absurdly quickly! Lucky for me.

Can I humbly suggest Version numbers or dates shown bottom right (or wherever) of BOM to help with identifying in future. I already downloaded several revisions of your BOM and can't tell from the print outs which is more recent.

Just one more parts order to come in and I am ready to solder....

Ooh the antici...................pation (better than the real thing at my age! It's all DIY in any case!).

Cheers
Bill
Old 20th March 2012, 01:14 PM   #1353
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billo44 View Post
Thanks a lot! I was getting confused about which BOM was up to date.
The one in the Google Docs folder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billo44 View Post
Can I humbly suggest Version numbers or dates shown bottom right (or wherever) of BOM to help with identifying in future. I already downloaded several revisions of your BOM and can't tell from the print outs which is more recent.
My My_Ref BOM has revision numbers and still people found difficult to found the most up-to-date among posts on the various My_Ref's threads.

Then I've made Google Docs folders, a single place where to find the most recent one...
Old 20th March 2012, 01:21 PM   #1354
billo44 is offline billo44  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The one in the Google Docs folder...

My My_Ref BOM has revision numbers and still people found difficult to found the most up-to-date among posts on the various My_Ref's threads.

Then I've made Google Docs folders, a single place where to find the most recent one...
OK that's clear enough! Once again Many thanks for all the input!

Cheers
Bill
Old 20th March 2012, 03:02 PM   #1355
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

Giovanni, That is a very impressive and "Pro looking" project. Very clean.

As someone just starting on this path, I'm feeling some "mission creep" as I read through the threads. What I see in your build is in no way "mini" as is implied by the name of the board. Please believe this is is no way a criticism and I am fully willing to construct whatever is necessary to get the highest quality sound.

The best way to ask my question is to suggest the "principal of diminishing returns". Could you describe the path/experiments (or point to other posts) that led you to the selections you have made. I have all the parts to complete Dario's upgrade, but your unit appears to be a big step beyond changing items on the PCB.

Any subjective impressions of the sound your build produces, that you have the time and inclination to share, will be greatly appreciated.

Again, that is some beautiful and impressive construction.
Old 20th March 2012, 03:53 PM   #1356
diyAudio Member

for the guys who's working with separated output stage, maybe they can consider my slightly modified regulator for everything except ak4396 dac section

opamp regulator is disabled. i lowered the first stage regulator to 7809 (LM1117-3.3V safe input voltage is between 4.75-10V), and changed the supply voltage to dual secondary.

now i can supply both input voltage with a 2x12V transformer

hope this helps
Old 20th March 2012, 04:04 PM   #1357
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergelisses View Post
My experience with the SALAS Shunt Reg .
I made many tests on the PSU and i find that the significant improvements are on the +12/-12v and +5v ( AK4396).
I didn't find any improvement elsewhere ........MY OPINION

Today i check a LT1021 a precision reference on the AK4396 .....

Serge
might i suggest LTC6655 as a better alternative? thats if you need a simple IC reference, IC refs are one of the areas you can still produce not only better sound, but much better objective noise performance too. the ICs above are excellent and very flexible, but given a known load and no power or size restrictions they can be used at the heart of superior devices
Old 20th March 2012, 06:00 PM   #1358
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmbob View Post
I have all the parts to complete Dario's upgrade, but your unit appears to be a big step beyond changing items on the PCB.
I don't see the two approaches in opposition but rather complementary.

A good component selection is critical to make a great circuit to sound great, a poor selection can make it sound bad...

Giovanni, in fact, started from my BOM but changed PS using much better regulators.

A good recipe, IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by idjoel2000 View Post
opamp regulator is disabled. i lowered the first stage regulator to 7809 (LM1117-3.3V safe input voltage is between 4.75-10V), and changed the supply voltage to dual secondary.
Not a good idea, soundwise, IMHO.

Lower PS rails mean worse performing opamp....
Old 20th March 2012, 06:23 PM   #1359
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Not a good idea, soundwise, IMHO.

Lower PS rails mean worse performing opamp....
Quote:
Originally Posted by idjoel2000 View Post
for the guy who's working on separated output stage, maybe they can consider my slightly modified regulator for everything except ak4396 dac section

now i can supply both input voltage with a 2x12V transformer

hope this helps
you should have read my post carefully. this mod is only applicable when you are using off board output stage

by lowering the first stage regulator, the LM1117 regulator won't be overworked. hence, better dac regulator performance (theoretically)

Last edited by idjoel2000; 20th March 2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 20th March 2012, 06:31 PM   #1360
diyAudio Member

Hello,
I'm new on this forum and I have very little knowledge of electronics. I want to buy this kit due to it's great reports on this and other forums but I don't know how hard will it be to fit an optical receiver to this kit. Can I suply the receiver from the rectifiers on the board?

Hide this!Advertise here!