DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532 - Page 125 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2012, 12:25 PM   #1241
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny50 View Post
Wondering if anyone has tried The nichicon KZ in place of the Elna RFS, and ROA on the PS+ ?
I've tried also KZs and Cerafines are way better.

IMHO KZs are somewhat confused.
Old 20th February 2012, 04:29 PM   #1242
diyAudio Member

Dario,

Looking at the suggested LPF agian in the AK4396 datasheet, why do you specify 1k R24-R34? Shouldnt they also be 2.4 (2.2k as you said is fine here).

Thanks,

Greg

Last edited by ggetzoff; 20th February 2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: content
Old 20th February 2012, 04:51 PM   #1243
diyAudio Member

Dario,

disregard, I see that those 1ks are for the 4393-95. Sorry
Old 20th February 2012, 07:13 PM   #1244
Ryssen is offline Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I´ve been listening some more,and I think this DAC sound a little darker then the CS4398.What do you others think?
Old 20th February 2012, 09:02 PM   #1245
diyAudio Member

Default Nichicon instead of ELNA?

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but have also made the plunge to build this AK4396 -- BOM-upgrade DAC. Greatly looking forward to it, probably will have it built by July !

I've learned a lot from reading this forum !! Thanks, all.

I don't know if it's harder to get parts in the U.S. !! I sympathize with Swanny50 in trying to source all the parts from one supplier !! So far, I've placed about 5 different parts orders with different suppliers, beyond the DAC kit itself, and still have a few components yet to get.

Why don't you order from Parts connexion instead?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, PartsConnexion doesn't stock alot of the basic parts listed in the upgrade BOM, and some of the "boutique" parts are simply disappearing (e.g., they were still listing the Riken resisters when I ordered, but unfortunately these are now gone, not to be replenished).

I wasn't able to find all the components at Mouser + PartsX, but after some thrashing about, I found another source -- Elfa Distrelec, which unlike others in the Distrelec universe, will ship to the U.S.! They seem to have a huge inventory, including the Evox-Rifa caps, for example. I haven't the time just now to test it, but I *think* you could get all the components with just two orders, by using PartsX + Elfa Distrelec.

Otherwise, use Mouser first, then fill in with PartX and Elfa Distrelec.

Best...
Old 20th February 2012, 11:28 PM   #1246
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggetzoff View Post
disregard, I see that those 1ks are for the 4393-95. Sorry
No problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by truepaul View Post
I haven't the time just now to test it, but I *think* you could get all the components with just two orders, by using PartsX + Elfa Distrelec.

Otherwise, use Mouser first, then fill in with PartX and Elfa Distrelec.
Old 21st February 2012, 04:31 AM   #1247
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks for the info on the Caps,and Parts conX.

Hey, thanks for the listening comparisons on the caps guys! I Will have to get some Elna Cerafines And Slim's! That PARTSCONNEXION website looks solid, thanks for the tip off. I should've looked harder. As far as removing and soldering the new parts whats the best approach ? I just got a 40 watt soldering pen and a hi Wattage Gun, I've never soldered or desoldered anything that I needed to be as precise, and also worrying of heat saturation of the parts! Last thing i need is to Burn up quality ordered parts. Hit me with your "Dont sweat the techniques", Your do's and don'ts of fine soldering please. All your info has been of great help, It keeps me from 2nd guessing everything until im in a tizzy!

Thanks again, Swanny
Old 21st February 2012, 04:56 AM   #1248
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hey, thanks for the listening comparisons on the caps guys! I Will have to get some Elna Cerafines And Slim's! That PARTSCONNEXION website looks solid, thanks for the tip off. I should've looked harder. As far as removing and soldering the new parts whats the best approach ? I just got a 40 watt soldering pen and a hi Wattage Gun, I've never soldered or desoldered anything that I needed to be as precise, and also worrying of heat saturation of the parts! Last thing i need is to Burn up quality ordered parts. Hit me with your "Dont sweat the techniques", Your do's and don'ts of fine soldering please. All your info has been of great help, It keeps me from 2nd guessing everything until im in a tizzy!

Thanks again, Swanny
Just heat up the joints and rock the cap until it comes off, I would suggest you buy a desoldering pump from partsexpress to clean up the holes before you solder in the new cap.

Desoldering Pump 370-030
Old 21st February 2012, 06:43 AM   #1249
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoopoo999 View Post
Just heat up the joints and rock the cap until it comes off, I would suggest you buy a desoldering pump from partsexpress to clean up the holes before you solder in the new cap.

Desoldering Pump 370-030
Hi, buy a desoldering pump and hold it on the joint while you heat it with the iron.
Press the button and most of the solder will go up the pump.
Then you can heat up the joint and pull the cap if you need to.

Pulling a cap without a pump risks pulling the solder tab through the hole, past experince
Old 21st February 2012, 03:08 PM   #1250
diyAudio Member

Parts Connexion is a very good outfit to deal with. You can get basically get everything for the Dario's BOM at Mouser and Parts Connexion. The only thing Mouser doesn't have are the Evox-Rifa SMR's in polyphenylene flavor.

Quote:

Thanks again, Swanny

Hide this!Advertise here!