DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532 - Page 118 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st January 2012, 10:12 PM   #1171
50AE is offline 50AE  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Many thanks for the schematics! I'll start building these and post my impressions.

I see you are using separate transformers. I presume it's from audiophile point of view. Have you compared how single vs separate trannies perform in this case?
Old 1st February 2012, 02:36 PM   #1172
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE View Post
Many thanks for the schematics! I'll start building these and post my impressions.

I see you are using separate transformers. I presume it's from audiophile point of view. Have you compared how single vs separate trannies perform in this case?
Im sure a single transformer can be used for the 3.3v and 5v supply. Just use a 1a or 2a transformer. I dont think there is any real advantage for seperate transformers, my design is just overkill.
Old 2nd February 2012, 10:02 PM   #1173
diyAudio Member

So I built the lampizator...
It's my first own experience with tubes. I have made only a hybrid tube amp before. I have a tube SE amp given by a good known guy, but I have to repair it.

The lampizator circuit is from lampizator.eu. Google "AK4393 lampizator". The only difference is, I use 5H choke instead of 40H and some smaller value caps in the power supply filter section. I will upgrade them when I will be able to.

So I decided to.....................
I can't write, damn, this thing sound like magic!!!!
Ok, the song finished, let's continue the typing.

So I decided to put everything on a test board just for fun and listen before assembly. I built the PSU first, then the output. I use 5Z4S and 6S6P tubes.
I was nervous, because I always have a first time plug in paranoia. I was thinking a cap will be faulty and pass HV DC to my system, even if I measured everything correctly.

But I plugged everything and it was visibly ok. I took my cheap HD201 headphones and check if a sound was going to play.
Great! Both channels worked. I saw "Enya" on my playlist. I put my headphones on and...

Woaaaaaaaa. My mouth was wide open and I felt so weird. I felt like swimming in a space of MAGIC. The music had its own space, the voice was distant, the instruments sounded like from few valleys ahead!
I can't describe how great is this. Some songs became so dynamic I couldn't even image they could be. Instruments I was trying to follow and I was losing before are apparent now, I catch them! The bass it's so deep I didn't think it was possible to be. The highs live! The voices are soft and sing infront of me.
Alright, 'naf talk.

I 'd like to HIGLY recommend the lampizator!!

I'm going to prepare my enclosure now and tiden up everything - short shielded silver signal cables, capacitors out from their steel enclosure, bigger inductivity choke, no electrolytics, salas shunt regulators for the DAC.

http://store.picbg.net/pubpic/90/31/846fa93d04199031.jpg
http://store.picbg.net/pubpic/0F/D0/9e1a910fe2880fd0.jpg

Last edited by 50AE; 2nd February 2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 3rd February 2012, 06:28 AM   #1174
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE View Post
I use 5H choke instead of 40H and some smaller value caps in the power supply filter section. I will upgrade them when I will be able to.
Chokes are not easy to find, they are also relatively heavy. Expensive sometimes.

I'd say a CRCRC filtering stage, and perhaps even a shunt regulator after that, might do a similar job. Why don't you try it?
Old 3rd February 2012, 07:19 AM   #1175
diyAudio Member

I was thinking about a voltage stabilizing tube also.
Old 3rd February 2012, 09:51 AM   #1176
diyAudio Member

Have a look at these regulators:

A New High-Voltage Regulator

Shunt Regulators

Even the simpler one, just with diodes, should do well. I wouldn't use another tube on the regulator, but that's me.
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:20 AM   #1177
diyAudio Member

I like to keep things simple.
I got this choke for free and I can get more from people selling old tube TV for junk.
I need a low current choke, so a 40H 40mA can be bought for about 30 $.

Anyway, I didn't pay much for all parts
Transformer and choke for free (I'm lucky my father scavenged parts when young)
Russian caps for about 8$ equivalent
Tubes costs me about 9$
Wires free.
17USD to build the lampizator

But this is the test part only. I bought silver wire for 16 USD meter, 5$ wood for the enclosure, 25$ for interconnect connectors, switch, mains filter, power cables, connector.
And so on.. I go cheap, but make it possibly upgradable in the future, for a poor student like me

Last edited by 50AE; 3rd February 2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 3rd February 2012, 02:01 PM   #1178
diyAudio Member

Yes, where you live is a good place for tube based projects.

Once you make your tests, do assemble it all in a better way. I prefer to design and build a pcb, but a connection bar is fine too.

Short distance between parts is very important.
Old 3rd February 2012, 02:25 PM   #1179
diyAudio Member

Of course. Let the weather warm a bit and I will work on the casing. In the meantime, I'm going to tweak the thing and listen.
There is no hum. Only slight hissing at incredibly high volume levels, where I won't be able to play music at all. On the max listening level, no noise can be heard.

The signal leads now are disgracefully long, but they'll be shielded, silver and short as possible for the final project.

My friend was very impressed of the sound. I played him Roger Waters - Amused to death track from the same name album. "The voices of the singer sing like they do infront of me", he said.

Last edited by 50AE; 3rd February 2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 3rd February 2012, 10:57 PM   #1180
diyAudio Member

Default External PSUs

just wonder if my sketch is correct?
feeding the board with 3 external PSUs. not using the output stage of course. Red is hot and Pink gnd for 3.3 or 5V.
thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AK4396V.jpg (215.3 KB, 547 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!