DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532 - Page 107 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2012, 09:11 PM   #1061
50AE is offline 50AE  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Sorry for the double post, can't edit the old one.

I have a question about this DAC - When no music is playing, with headphones I can hear a veryyy silent repeating, irregular rhythm noise - trrr trrrrr trr trrttt trrr trrrrr trr trrtttt. It's so silent that it can be barely heard with headphones, but I'm wandering what could be the reason?

Sometimes there is another noise which appears when someone has used the USB to charge a device (mp3 player). It is more audible, but it disappears when I restart the DAC.
Old 10th January 2012, 10:50 PM   #1062
diyAudio Member

Interesting thread to follow, quite a read!

I noticed in the ak4396 datasheet it has a 'digital attenuator', but I can't find anything on it in this thread. Any particular reason? Not possible in combination with the ebay-board? No need? Or just the old 'digital volume control?', no way!

-Mike
Old 10th January 2012, 11:15 PM   #1063
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE View Post
just tried replacing the V regulators with the ones recommended from the BOM. The sound is kind of "drier" now and lost its dynamics a bit, but I hope it gets better afetr burn in.
Strange... are you sure you used ON Semi MC78xx/79xx?

They should sound fuller and tighter than ST ones.
Old 10th January 2012, 11:24 PM   #1064
50AE is offline 50AE  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

I think the dryness was apparent the first minutes of playback. Now after 2 hours everything is smooth and very dynamic, I like the sound better. I bought the regulators from farnell, each came with a nice black cardboard box like for a wedding ring.
Old 15th January 2012, 01:20 AM   #1065
diyAudio Member

Just ordered the 4396 kit from fleabay. How much current does the board draw?

Last edited by ggetzoff; 15th January 2012 at 01:23 AM.
Old 15th January 2012, 03:05 AM   #1066
syklab is offline syklab  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Hi, can someone direct me to the BOM?

Thanks
Old 15th January 2012, 03:38 AM   #1067
diyAudio Member

Default Clave's BOM

Here it is....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MINI2496 BOM.pdf (11.6 KB, 189 views)
Old 15th January 2012, 08:18 PM   #1068
fulvio is offline fulvio  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hi, can anybody address me to a reliable ebay seller for Cerafine and/or Silmic?

Second question: almost all high-end voltage regulators I've seen are single voltage type; but, in my opinion, op-amp should work better when powered with a dual tracking supply (less problems with common mode voltages caused by static or dynamic supply unbalance).
I'm planning to power the op-amp of the AK4396 board with a dual tracking Toshiba M5230 (output impedance less than 0.1 ohm up to 100 KHz, noise typ. 12 uVrms from 20 Hz to 100 KHz) with a separate supply (filtered with a C-multiplier) for analog +3.3V and +5V.
What do you think about?
Old 15th January 2012, 08:56 PM   #1069
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulvio View Post
Hi, can anybody address me to a reliable ebay seller for Cerafine and/or Silmic?

Second question: almost all high-end voltage regulators I've seen are single voltage type; but, in my opinion, op-amp should work better when powered with a dual tracking supply (less problems with common mode voltages caused by static or dynamic supply unbalance).
I'm planning to power the op-amp of the AK4396 board with a dual tracking Toshiba M5230 (output impedance less than 0.1 ohm up to 100 KHz, noise typ. 12 uVrms from 20 Hz to 100 KHz) with a separate supply (filtered with a C-multiplier) for analog +3.3V and +5V.
What do you think about?
I wouldn't buy any surface mounts from Ebay dealers. I've done it in the past and been sorry. There is real product on Ebay, the problem is you don't know who is honest and who isnt. Parts-Connexion has Silmics, and there has to be someone in Italy that sells them.

Last edited by ggetzoff; 15th January 2012 at 08:57 PM. Reason: content
Old 15th January 2012, 09:28 PM   #1070
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michielbeijer View Post
Interesting thread to follow, quite a read!

I noticed in the ak4396 datasheet it has a 'digital attenuator', but I can't find anything on it in this thread. Any particular reason? Not possible in combination with the ebay-board? No need? Or just the old 'digital volume control?', no way!

-Mike
Good point. If this really means "digitally controlled analogue attenuator", this is something for investigating seriously. If so, I don't think it is applicable for ebay kit. It would be a good subject of new dac project.

EDIT:

Page 23 states that attenuation is done via "digitally" front of dac which means it is not such thing like "digitally controlled analogue attenuator".

Last edited by terranigma; 15th January 2012 at 09:45 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!