What to do with unused MCU I/Os

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
maczrool said:
I'm building a DAC which uses a PIC18F448. The design is not going to require the use of all the I/Os, so I was wondering what the best practice would be with regards to them. Should they be left floating or grounded? Seems to me it would be far wiser to ground them, but maybe I'm missing something.

Stu

Hi,

Select a PIC that likes to sleep and power it down to sleep mode when unused.

If you want to terminate the pins: Make sure the are logically low, and connect them to ground, as much of them as possible.

regards

Guido Tent said:

Stu

OK, but realize yourself that it only makes sense once you make them actively low

regards

Hi Guido,

So are you saying it would be just as good to leave it floating if the pins are not used in the code? I just don't want them wandering all over the place, spitting noise into the system and possibly wasting power (this is a battery powered application).

Stu

maczrool said:
So are you saying it would be just as good to leave it floating if the pins are not used in the code? I just don't want them wandering all over the place, spitting noise into the system and possibly wasting power (this is a battery powered application).

You can do one of two things with unused I/O pins:

1. Configure them as inputs and connect them to Vdd or Vss via pull up (or down) resistors, or

2. Configure them as outputs, drive them high or low, (in your software) and do not connect them to anything. They will not "wander".

If you make them outputs and connect them to ground (or Vdd), you could have a big problem if the pin is driven high. (on startup or otherwise)

Edit: Check out the "Low Power Solutions Design Center" at Microchip's web site: http://www.microchip.com/1010/suppdoc/design/lowpwr/index.htm

seangoesbonk said:

You can do one of two things with unused I/O pins:

1. Configure them as inputs and connect them to Vdd or Vss via pull up (or down) resistors, or

2. Configure them as outputs, drive them high or low, (in your software) and do not connect them to anything. They will not "wander".

If you make them outputs and connect them to ground (or Vdd), you could have a big problem if the pin is driven high. (on startup or otherwise)

Edit: Check out the "Low Power Solutions Design Center" at Microchip's web site: http://www.microchip.com/1010/suppdoc/design/lowpwr/index.htm

Thanks for the suggestions and the link - very helpful.

Stu

maczrool said:

Hi Guido,

Stu

Do not let them float

1 - Connect them to ground if you want to reduce induced nois

2 - Do above and configure them low to reduce the groundbounce

3 - put them to sleep to do the best you can

regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.