Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Open-source USB interface: Audio Widget
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2011, 01:31 PM   #761
oneoclock is offline oneoclock  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default Jitter J-test

Thanks for the work you do. It's great.

I want to collaborate with measures of jitter. J-test 44,1k 16b file:

Click the image to open in full size.
UAC1 Win7 Windows Media 44,1k 24b.

UAC2 MAC iTunes 192k 24b

UAC1 Win7 Windows Media 44,1k 24b.

UAC2 MAC iTunes 44,1k 24b

UAC2 MAC iTunes 192k 24b
Old 31st December 2011, 02:32 PM   #762
diyAudio Member

Hello starn02.

I can only measure UAC1 48k 24b with Foobar and SoX .

Win7 Foobar2000 Wasapi SoX 48k 24b

Last edited by oneoclock; 31st December 2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 31st December 2011, 02:36 PM   #763
UnixMan is offline UnixMan  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm View Post
UnixMan: Interesting - I'll try that. In regards to the supply lines, do you mean cap positions: C21/31/28?
See previous posts. Replace all of the 5 OsCon el. capacitors, plus add some of the "missing" (optional) ones: C15, C21, C31, C32, C33, C35 and C36/C37. Be careful not to damage the PCB when desoldering the old caps!

You may also try the suggested value on the (optional) C34, but IME it did not make much of a difference so I'd leave it out.

Currently I'm using what you can see in a previous post ('cause that was what I had at hand at the moment), minus C34 that I have later removed. Although it is sub-optimal, it was already a sensible improvement in the right direction (same one you'd like).

I believe that the small sized 6.3V silmic IIs should be a good (and relatively inexpensive) solution for this board. You can try using 220uF everywhere (they should fit in the same places foreseen for the small OsCons on the PCB). Not tried them yet, though.

Nevertheless, "thin", "too dry" and "edgy" are IME quite typical characteristics of the sound you get (almost) wherever OsCons are used for audio. I'm quite confident that higher capacitance (more energy storage, lower Xc @ low frequencies...) together with the usually warmer, fuller and smoother sounding silmics IIs will do the trick!
Old 31st December 2011, 02:42 PM   #764
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneoclock View Post
I can only measure UAC1 48k 24b with Foobar and SoX .

perhaps there's an error in picture labeling?
Old 31st December 2011, 03:24 PM   #765
borges is offline borges  Norway
diyAudio Member

Hi UnixMan,

any specs on the cable you're using? Perhaps I'll buy them in bulk for the next batch.

BÝrge

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnixMan View Post
Oh, do NOT forget to use an USB cable with ferrite beads on it. That's paramount for SQ.
Old 31st December 2011, 03:28 PM   #766
borges is offline borges  Norway
diyAudio Member

Hi Starn02,

could you please try the track from my post 748 with the newest firmware? I was having some problems with that today, but didn't have the time to finish debugging. It would be interesting to see if it plays flawlessly and with correct word clock on other people's systems.

BÝrge

Quote:
Originally Posted by starn02 View Post
My "extremely personal" experience with WinXP and "custom made" UAC2 drivers .... and with foobar2000: everything is OK, sample rates are all accepted and played without problems. Sound quality is constantly high, with hard to hear differences when upsampling (with SOX plugin) from 44.1 to whatever else.

"Reasonable" behaviour (not perfect, some little delay and sometimes hic up, but perfectly tolerable) when switching songs, and even when changing the upsampling rate while playing.

From what I read (on the forum) and see (on my setup) the firmware should be quite OK since the versions of Chrystmas .... if you have so much problems maybe the reason is in the PC / OS / driver ....
Old 31st December 2011, 03:46 PM   #767
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnixMan View Post
perhaps there's an error in picture labeling?
I do not know what is wrong?

Maybe it's because I write in English incorrectly.

File Jtest 44.1 Kbit 16 bit.
Windows 7.
Foobar2000 program v.1.1.10
Device (24b): WASAPI: (DG8SAQ-I2C)
DSP manager: SoX 48k resample

other measures:
Windows 7.
Foobar2000 program v.1.1.10
Device: DS: (DG8SAQ-I2C)
DSP manager: SoX 48k resample.

Best measure in MAC and WinXP.
Old 31st December 2011, 04:12 PM   #768
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneoclock View Post
I do not know what is wrong?
I see two different pictures with the exact same label... what's the difference between the two?
Old 31st December 2011, 04:39 PM   #769
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Windows workaround - Possible?

The Windows problem is lack of an opensource driver. Perhaps we could "package" a Linux player and small Linux distro so that it could run in a virtual box inside Windows. The big roadblock would be whether Windows would get in the way of the hardware access. Otherwise it may be possible to package a mini Voyage MPD in a way that it would run inside Windows as a virtual session. The UI would still be on the Windows side.
Old 31st December 2011, 04:41 PM   #770
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borges View Post
any specs on the cable you're using?
no, sorry. I had it laying around, may be from some external HDD or photo camera. But other people have had similar results with different cables or even adding "crimp-on" ferrites to cables which did not have it. I guess anything that's able to reduce the common mode noise will do. One may also try to wound the USB cable for a couple of turns around a ferrite donuts.

Perhaps whe should suggest to "Cablerie d'Eupen" to start producing USB2 cables with their special "EMC/COM" compound...

KABELWERK EUPEN AG

Last edited by UnixMan; 31st December 2011 at 04:54 PM.

Open-source USB interface: Audio WidgetHide this!Advertise here!