Open-source USB interface: Audio Widget

Well, yes it can
I use my rooted nexus 7 pad with android 4.2, together with a Hegel hd2 dac.
Use this combination in my car! ;)
Would like to compare these two dacs

Didnt see linuxworks, post.
But yes, as he sais.
It have to be rotted with a custom kernel, but this allows you to tap the digital signal directly from the pad.
And with a asynchronous dac, it sound awsome!
But if I understand it correctly, it depends on the DAC chip if it is compatible with the Pad. :scratch:

Joined 2004
Paid Member
It works with a stock SG4 or Note 2 and some other Android devices. Android does not support 24 bit audio or higher sample rates yet. You need hardware support for it as well since the phone needs to be in host mode and not all hardware supports this (like this phone).

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Yes, the Pi has some known issues with USB. Raspyfi includes all of the latest workarounds for them.

When I tried the Beaglebone Black, it worked first time at 24/96 with a cheap USB DAC that I had kicking around.

This is the hard disk player I built based on the Pi and AB-1.2 DAC. Too bad the BeagleBone didn't exist when I started the project and doesn't quite fit in the case. :(

Attachments

• 8964_10151620778056584_22571540_n.jpg
    8964_10151620778056584_22571540_n.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 356
  • 525337_10151620778201584_1243725628_n.jpg
    525337_10151620778201584_1243725628_n.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 343
Last night I was testing the AB1.2 on a ASUS EEE T91 (small atom based netbook), however the sound was not very good (skips and a few 1s cases of metallic sound). It seemed like the usb host or cpu/bus was not able to deliver music fast enough.
I used ubuntu 12.04, fresh install and mpd as well as vlc to play music. First I thought it was my usb hdd messing up the usb host, but network playback was even worse.

I have the exact same setup on another atom based netbook with no issues at all. Have others had similar experiences with netbooks?

Last night I was testing the AB1.2 on a ASUS EEE T91 (small atom based netbook), however the sound was not very good (skips and a few 1s cases of metallic sound). It seemed like the usb host or cpu/bus was not able to deliver music fast enough.
I used ubuntu 12.04, fresh install and mpd as well as vlc to play music. First I thought it was my usb hdd messing up the usb host, but network playback was even worse.

I have the exact same setup on another atom based netbook with no issues at all. Have others had similar experiences with netbooks?

I have those issues with a Core2Duo PC, and not with my Lenovo x220 laptop. I don't think it has anything to do with the speed of the PC. USB audio is far from demanding.

I've stirred-up a very technical discussion on the AudioWidget groups:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/audio-widget
topic: "Repeating noise while playing AudioWidget to I2S"
But at the moment I lack the time to contribute to that discussion.

Summary is that the noise is caused by the I2S data becoming out of sync with the MasterClock. Normally the buffer is large enough to compensate small shifts, but there is a limit. I suspect there is a bug inside the AVR32 firmware that makes resync fail. But more research is needed!

In my system, the USB signal quality (cable length), but also the electrical properties of the I2S connection between the AVR and DAC, and the power supplies of the AudioWidget and the DAC all influence the noise behavior.