Open-source USB interface: Audio Widget - Page 99 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2012, 06:32 AM   #981
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
<slightly OT rant>
Anyone half serious about 'Green computing' would favour ARM-based Linux would they not? The attraction of x86 as regards 'Green-ness' extends to the chance to get reasonable performance out of legacy platforms I'd have thought, rather than putting them in landfill. They'll still be very un-Green as regards energy usage all the same.
<normal service resumed >
Old 26th January 2012, 08:19 AM   #982
borges is offline borges  Norway
diyAudio Member

Good idea!

BÝrge

Quote:
Originally Posted by realmadrid View Post
To the attention of BÝrge

Citation from
Voyage Linux | { x86 Embedded Linux = Green computing }

To broaden the use of Voyage Linux, Voyage Linux community is now looking for generous donation and sponsorship of x86 embedded boards and USB Audio Class 2 DAC/audio converters. If you are hardware vendor or ISP and your customers are asking for supporting Voyage Linux in your hardware, please send your hardware to us for certification and testing. Contact us for more details.

Is AW included?

Thanks

Juan
Old 26th January 2012, 08:30 AM   #983
diyAudio Member

Hi,

1. I'm currently checking out Voyage MPD. As with any Kernel matching or newer than around 2.6.39, the AB is online and working immediatly when plugged in. Very convenient. This is with those 'auto'-kernels. If you build your own kernel, include the usb-drivers appropriate to your hardware and be sure to include SND_USB_AUDIO. Done.

2. I made a quick check with streaming between to PC's with mpd/httpd. Works cool, and a - not so thorough - soundcheck did not reveal anything nasty.
Let the mpd music dir point to an NFS-directory on the lan is faster and invisible, so I consider this as being better.

RŁdiger
Old 26th January 2012, 08:41 AM   #984
diyAudio Member

Hi RŁdiger,

it's cool that the hardware works out of the box. But how easy is this for someone with minimal Linux experience?

It would be great with a distro which could boot form CD/flash and straight into a music player, scan the local drives for music, save a minimal config file on existing fs. All with minimal interaction and kind looking graphics.

We have come far enough these days that installing a modern Linux variant is easier than installing Windows, so there is no reason the user should have to mess around in order to get an OS+driver+player combo up and running.

When you stream from the PC, are you sending music data from a Windows environment?

BÝrge
Old 26th January 2012, 09:29 AM   #985
diyAudio Member

Hi BÝrge,
I installed voyage on an old bureau-PC. They have a deal with a hardware company with low-energy ALIX-thin client they sell pre-configured, I understood.

The install procedure is a bit misty, I would not dare as a complete noob to try it.
But concerning AB1.1, it will work out of the box with any platform that has usb!

My music data is stored on a linux-server. MPD gets it via NFS. Easy, fast and reliable.

RŁdiger
Old 26th January 2012, 10:49 AM   #986
ElEsido is offline ElEsido  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Please forgive my question if the answer is obvious, but to me it isn't:
In this blog entry on setting up an audio PC the author mentions an expensive PCI-USB adapter card with dedicated power and whatnot. Is such a thing necessary with the asynchronicity of the AW, if clean external power is supplied to the analogue stage?

ElEsido
Old 26th January 2012, 10:55 AM   #987
diyAudio Member

No, it should work from any decent USB port. The Analog Board of AB-1.1 is made to have all its power supplies ripped out and replaced by something which is cooler than VBUS+LDO.

BÝrge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElEsido View Post
Please forgive my question if the answer is obvious, but to me it isn't:
In this blog entry on setting up an audio PC the author mentions an expensive PCI-USB adapter card with dedicated power and whatnot. Is such a thing necessary with the asynchronicity of the AW, if clean external power is supplied to the analogue stage?

ElEsido
Old 26th January 2012, 11:25 AM   #988
diyAudio Member

Hi Rsdio,

I'm responding to post 624 with a new schematic. Does this USB circuit make more sense to you?

BÝrge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdio View Post
Last time I looked was the June 28 schematic, and I had not seen the USB module yet. I'm now looking at the July 3 USB module schematic...

I see that you have L1006 between the CHASSIS pins on the USB mini-B connector and the board GND, but that is not the correct placement. L1006 should be placed between the GND pin on the USB mini-B and the board GND. Remember that power flows in a circuit, so you should place the beads identically on the +5V and GND pins.

Meanwhile, the two CHASSIS pins should not be directly connected to ground because this will conduct shield noise into the board ground. Instead, create a high impedance filter with a 1 MΩ resistor and 0.1 uF capacitor in parallel.

Search for dsk5509a_Schematic.pdf and refer to sheet 13 of 17. This is a TMS320 DSP evaluation kit board schematic from Spectrum Digital that is available on their web site. The only thing I added that is not shown in the SD schematic is a cap across VUSB and GND that is ahead of the beads and corresponds roughly to your C1075 (assuming you break the CHASSIS ground away from the power GND).

EVM5509A Plus Support Home

P.S. My apologies for not noticing that you were already using beads. When someone suggested that you should always use a USB cable with ferrite beads, I immediately assumed that you did not have any filtering on your board. I think that if you move the bead on the ground then your board will work equally well with all USB cables.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf usbmod_20120126_pC01_sch.pdf (132.5 KB, 67 views)
Old 26th January 2012, 01:51 PM   #989
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Alternate Flash Linux option

This may be a better option for those who don't want to get close and personal with the Linux command line:Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - mpdPup - Simplified MPD Music Server/Jukebox - New Version!

I like Voyage, but I have been using it for several years now. For a novice coming from a GUI its pretty daunting.
Old 26th January 2012, 02:13 PM   #990
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Isolation / noise reduction on the USB power is a start but the other noise challenge is the common ground. Most PC's have their chassis connected to the power ground. Since USB ground is not isolated from the PC this becomes a real challenge to overcome. A "cheeter" connection breaking the ground connection at the power connector may do little to help because the internal circuit will probably have a filter that capacitively couples the power to the chassis.

Hide this!Advertise here!