Open-source USB interface: Audio Widget - Page 93 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2012, 11:49 PM   #921
diyAudio Member

Hi Turbon,

Are you listening with uac1?

If you are, 24/96 does not work. Windows is resampling your music :-(

You can listen with uac2 the same 24/96 music and u should hear the difference. Make sure you set the playback to 24/96 in the driver and the playback software.

There are not that many USB DAC in the market with native 44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 32bit capabilities so most playback software and audio drivers resample automatically.

You need to take extra care to PREVENT resampling :-)

Alex
Old 16th January 2012, 04:09 AM   #922
Turbon is offline Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Yes of course... Resampling - we have been through this before :-)

Sorry for being a slow learner.

Brgds
Old 16th January 2012, 06:17 AM   #923
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Defeating Windows sample rate conversion-Switching drivers and output devices is not enough. You need player software that can pass the audio directly to the hardware. I know JRiver and Foobar can. JPlay may also but there are reports that there are issues with some drivers. There are others as well but its almost a religious war on which to use.

Using Linux for playback is much more manageable.
Old 16th January 2012, 10:17 AM   #924
borges is offline borges  Norway
diyAudio Member

Agreed!

I'm starting to believe that Windows-centric audiophiles have an easier time booting into a Linux+player distro than setting up Windows with a foolprof toolchain.

A distro like that could be a thumb drive or a boot DVD. It could set up a config directory on the local file system to make things consistent.

BÝrge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post
Defeating Windows sample rate conversion-Switching drivers and output devices is not enough. You need player software that can pass the audio directly to the hardware. I know JRiver and Foobar can. JPlay may also but there are reports that there are issues with some drivers. There are others as well but its almost a religious war on which to use.

Using Linux for playback is much more manageable.
Old 16th January 2012, 01:55 PM   #925
borges is offline borges  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default Toolchain issues

Thanks Alex,

I have downloaded the 3.2.3 toolchain for Windows and for Linux. On Windows I'm able to compile, but it gives a faily large .elf file. On that system I already have a lot of Atmel tools installed. On Linux I'm not yet able to compile. I did a tar xvzf of the toolchain files in /install. Other than that it's a fairly fresh Ubuntu 11.10 with no other Atmel tools installed.

My first goal is to compile on both platforms, hopefully replicating Alex's binary output on both of them.

I made a script called make-widget-bsb where I comment out different paths. Other than that and some extra blank lines it is identical to the various other make-widget* files. I have copied in my script at the bottom.

On Linux it says it can't find avr32/io.h. I've done a simple ls -R |less to look for this file in the project files and in the toolchain files. Am I missing something?

b@HP:/media/truecrypt1/kitten/avr32/github/sdr-widget$ ./make-widget-bsb
Compile ../src/AD5301.c
In file included from ../src/I2C.h:14,
from ../src/AD5301.h:11,
from ../src/AD5301.c:10:
../src/SOFTWARE_FRAMEWORK/BOARDS/board.h:55:22: warning: avr32/io.h: No such file or directory
In file included from ../src/I2C.h:26,
from ../src/AD5301.h:11,
from ../src/AD5301.c:10:
../src/SOFTWARE_FRAMEWORK/DRIVERS/TWIM/twim_patched.h:84: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before 'Bool'

Here's my script:
#!/bin/sh
##
## this makes the widget if the AVR32BIN environment variable
## is pointing to the directory containing avr32-gcc

## Windows setup with Toolchain 3.2.3 at C:\Atmel\AVR Tools\AVR Toolchain
## PATH=${AVR32BIN:="/cygdrive/c/Atmel/AVR Tools/AVR Toolchain/bin"}:$PATH

## Alex's Linux setup:
## PATH=${AVR32BIN:=/home/alex/as4e-ide/plugins/com.atmel.avr.toolchains.linux.x86_64_3.1.0.201012 011657/os/linux/x86_64/bin}:$PATH

## Borge's Linux setup:
PATH=${AVR32BIN:=/install/avr32-gnu-toolchain-linux_x86_64/bin}:$PATH

export PATH
cd Release && make all

Borge

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlee188 View Post
Hi Borge,

To build under Linux, you need first to download the avr32 toolchain from Atmel.

Then you modify the make-widget file to set the PATH to the correct place of the toolchain (depending on where you download it to).

Mine is below. So your should probably modify the directory to /home/borge/.....

#!/bin/sh
##
## this makes the widget if the AVR32BIN environment variable
## is pointing to the directory containing avr32-gcc
##
PATH=${AVR32BIN:=/home/alex/as4e-ide/plugins/com.atmel.avr.toolchains.linux.x86_64_3.1.0.201012 011657/os/linux/x86_64/bin}:$PATH
export PATH
cd Release && make all

Once the above is done, all you have to do is to type:

$ make

Alex
Old 16th January 2012, 06:56 PM   #926
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post
... I tried simulating with the LT1431 model. Its picky and wants to oscillate if the cap across it is less than 25 uF. I have not seen that on the boards with the TI431 but maybe its a difference in the parts. ...
Thanks Demian, I add the diode on the board.

I have simulated with another spice model for TL431 placed in my AB.lib download file. Gives similar results.

According to increases capacitor the resonance frequency shifts down. Simulation with 25 uF oscillate at 2 Hz. but in practice I see no problem with 0.1uF and hear better sound than unmodified.

Do you think it's a good idea to put, instead of 0.1uF, a tantalum electrolytic capacitor 100UF 10V of this type?:
http://www.e-merchan.com/pub/uct6u825c.pdf
Old 16th January 2012, 07:23 PM   #927
Turbon is offline Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Another idea is to just leave it open, there will be a lot of test on this cap. No need to settle what is best right now.

Brgds
Old 16th January 2012, 10:21 PM   #928
diyAudio Member

Perhaps for the analog is good to have a little bit louder lowering the impedance.

In the simulation, when R3 is lower, output impedance decreases. Demian said that may increase noise and worse Q1 into saturation.

Values ​​such as R3 = 220 Oh no saturation appears to Q1 and you get 50 mOh output impedance.

Is it an option for analog AVCC source or there is a mistake that I see?
Old 16th January 2012, 11:09 PM   #929
diyAudio Member

Hi Borge,

Try downloading the whole AVR32 Studio. There may be header files and other files in the download.

Alex
Old 16th January 2012, 11:30 PM   #930
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Depending on the application the output impedance may not matter. A crystal oscillator really doesn't need a low Z supply since its power demand doesn't change if its any good and being used properly. The same cannot be said for an opamp passing audio.

The cap that is supposed to affect the stability is probably real in normal applications but doesn't seem that way here. The model is only a model that will show what happens when the part is used as expected. I don't think there are real issues but I'll do some testing when I get a chance.

Hide this!Advertise here!