Open-source USB interface: Audio Widget - Page 23 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th September 2011, 12:07 PM   #221
borges is offline borges  Norway
diyAudio Member

Hi Frex,
yes, you can buy the module only at USD50. But I seriously recommend starting out with a a fully working system and taking it one step at a time from there.

BÝrge
Old 4th September 2011, 06:40 PM   #222
Frex is offline Frex  France
diyAudio Member

I understand, then i don't need the enclosure because my design will fit in another one.
Would you sell AB1.1 without enclosure ?
Frex
Old 11th September 2011, 06:15 PM   #223
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to audiodesign Send a message via Skype™ to audiodesign
192KHz 24 bit are supported on Windows systems like XP and Seven ?
Old 11th September 2011, 06:27 PM   #224
diyAudio Member

Hi Frex,

I can drop the enclosure. That reduces the price for AB-1.1 and shipping from USD138 to USD128. Please follow the link in the signature and PayPal me if this is OK with you.

BÝrge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frex View Post
I understand, then i don't need the enclosure because my design will fit in another one.
Would you sell AB1.1 without enclosure ?
Frex
Old 11th September 2011, 06:58 PM   #225
diyAudio Member

Borges,
I can add your module in this list
Hi-Resolution System Intro + 192KHz 24bit

but please give me an answer to my question
Old 11th September 2011, 08:39 PM   #226
diyAudio Member

Hi Audiodesign,

The various Windows versions seem to treat USB audio as USB1.1==USB Audio Class 1. There is little distinction in which specification belongs where.

In the Audio Widget project, the UAC1 code was recently set to always enumerate as USB1.1, something which improved Windows functionality.

What this means is that you can squeze in 24 bits stereo at 96ksps. But the Atmel chip we're using doesn't allow that. So _driverless_ Windows is, for us, upwards limited to 24/48. (With UAC2 there's a different story with 24/192 stereo being our limit on Linux and MAC.)

For Windows >24/48 we have four options:
- Wait for Microsoft to realize no native UAC2 means they're in the slow lane in consumer audio
- Use a different chip (which will not be open source but have NDAs all over)
- Use somebody's existing driver (which will probably cost $$$)
- Write an open-source Windows UAC2 driver (which will take time but really disrupt the market)

Cheers,
BÝrge

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodesign View Post
192KHz 24 bit are supported on Windows systems like XP and Seven ?
Old 11th September 2011, 08:50 PM   #227
diyAudio Member

Borges,
What you about an ASIO driver ?
Old 11th September 2011, 10:17 PM   #228
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What this means is that you can squeeze in 24 bits stereo at 96ksps. But the Atmel chip we're using doesn't allow that.
Borges, what is the reason for this limitation if it can do 24/192 with UAC2 ? Is it a USB packet buffering issue in the AVR firmware ?

Regards,

Jon
Old 12th September 2011, 12:02 AM   #229
diyAudio Member

Hi all,

For detailed technical discussions of UAC2 implementation, it might be better to post in the audio-widget group.

The reasons for UAC1 limitation are several. The key issue is that the Windows uac1 driver can only send/receive audio data every 1 millisecond. This is a legacy from USB1 specifications. With UAC2, audio data can be transferred every 125 microsecond (as per USB2 specs), and there are exotic multiple transfers (up to 3) per 125 microsecond options (only possible with some hardware) etc.

The limitation is entirely a limitation of the Windows native (UAC1) driver. With UAC2 as implemented in Linux and OSX, 192/24 async audio with rate feedback is NATIVELY supported.

As Borge pointed out, there are commercially available Windows UAC2 drivers. So technically it is possible to use these drivers for the audio-widget. However, you have to pay $$$$ to use them legally.

Currently Linux and OSX users are the "minority" so M$ has no incentive to come up with native UAC2 driver. But I predict that this will change soon.

Android is based on the Linux kernel. Hopefully in the near future a newer Android will be based on the latest ( > 2.6.38) LInux kernel, and then UAC2 will be natively supported by Android.

So we will be able to play 192/24 music with any new Android devices, including tablets and mobile phones (that have USB ports).

I'm sure any serious music listener will be able to afford and switch to an Android device :-)

Alex
Old 13th September 2011, 07:51 AM   #230
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Under Windows UAC1 ASIO4ALL works very well.

I'm all for an UAC2 ASIO project, but as a hardware dude I don't quite know where to start. But anyone with an opinion or some experience in this, please sing out!

Cheers,
BÝrge

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodesign View Post
Borges,
What you about an ASIO driver ?

Hide this!Advertise here!