Open-source USB interface: Audio Widget - Page 224 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th September 2013, 12:05 AM   #2231
rsdio is offline rsdio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borges View Post
The AB-1.2 DAC has become more popular than I ever expected. People even buy it who will never crack it open. Because of this I have subjected it to CE and FCC testing. The reports came in today. All tests passed on the 1st go with good margins.

Does this mean the AB-1.2 DAC is now no longer DIY and instead 100% commercial? Nope, it's still the same open source firmware, hardware and ASIO driver as ever. Nothing has changed to how tweakable it is.

But what it does mean is that the code base is stable enough for me to dare sell one to your aunt!
Congratulations!
In a market where some small hardware manufacturers skip this step, I'm very impressed that you accomplished it! Do you mind telling us how much it cost to test both CE and FCC standards? Maybe you can encourage other small audio interface makers to test as well.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting
Old 8th September 2013, 07:06 PM   #2232
borges is offline borges  Norway
diyAudio Member

Thanks Brian,

I actually ended up saving .wav files in JRiver. It's just for sample rate testing. Rather than test with sine waves I test with an Enya album resampled to the 6 most typical sampling frequencies. It has little to do with audiophile listening, I just had to test sample rate transitioning in various setups.

Cheers,
BÝrge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdio View Post
(Note: I am WAY behind in my reading)

Now that you have a Mac, look for afconvert
You may need to install the development environment and compile the program, or it may be there already, I forget.
Mac OS X includes very powerful SRC as part of CoreAudio.
Old 8th September 2013, 07:14 PM   #2233
diyAudio Member

Thanks again Brian!

The testing is something I wanted to do. As you may know, I design circuit boards for a living, and it's good to be able to tell that my stuff works.

I tested with SIQ:SIQ

I don't think I may publish their quotes. But if you are interested, let me know and I'll forward their contact details to you.

BÝrge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdio View Post
Congratulations!
In a market where some small hardware manufacturers skip this step, I'm very impressed that you accomplished it! Do you mind telling us how much it cost to test both CE and FCC standards? Maybe you can encourage other small audio interface makers to test as well.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting
Old 9th September 2013, 04:09 PM   #2234
mikela is offline mikela  United States
diyAudio Member

Any news on the multi-channel front?
Old 10th September 2013, 03:31 AM   #2235
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Congrats on the CE mark Borges!
Old 10th September 2013, 07:43 AM   #2236
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
Congrats on the CE mark Borges!
Thanks!

Let me know if there are tech mags Down Under which may want to pick up on this.

Cheers,
BÝrge
Old 25th September 2013, 06:13 PM   #2237
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davada View Post
Hi Andrew,

I'm quite interested in what your doing.
Can you start up a dedicated thread for this?

Cheers,
I would start up a new thread, but kind of disappointed that nobody responded to my questions in a few months. I get the impression that maybe this project is not really encouraged to be used as open source after all? I've found almost no authoritative docs on what Windows / OS X / Linux are expecting in terms of a class-compliant stereo audio device. I set this project aside until I could hopefully get some tips from the folks here, but haven't had any response.

Basically I'm working on a little open hardware design with a friend to make a digital audio distribution system over CAT5 cable. I designed a little audio node that has line in/out, and expansion for, say, building a little add-on digital amplifier board. My friend is doing a router unit with some CPLDs. Since my little board is powered off USB I thought it would be useful to also make it into a nice stereo class-compliant sound card. (all but the USB part is now working quite well)

My goal is to make the device do async stereo audio record/playback. I thought it would be a good learning project in USB, and also might be a useful starting point for others looking to do USB-enabled audio projects in the future. My platform is PIC32 which I've done a few digital audio projects with since they now have I2S ports on the smaller devices.
Old 28th September 2013, 08:01 PM   #2238
diyAudio Member

Good evening.I have a Question about compatibility with android OS.
Will the DAC work with Android 4.3?I read on page 220 a little bit about my question but i didnt find more info .
Old 26th October 2013, 11:53 AM   #2239
hc_TK is offline hc_TK  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus7 DAC View Post
Good evening.I have a Question about compatibility with android OS.
Will the DAC work with Android 4.3?I read on page 220 a little bit about my question but i didnt find more info .
No one know this?
Old 26th October 2013, 10:23 PM   #2240
UnixMan is offline UnixMan  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to UnixMan
Unfortunately, AFAIK Android does not include support for USB audio devices. :-(

Hide this!Advertise here!