Open-source USB interface: Audio Widget - Page 22 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd September 2011, 03:14 PM   #211
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Can you provide specifics for the mailing lists?
Old 2nd September 2011, 10:32 PM   #212
borges is offline borges  Norway
diyAudio Member

Main project pages:
sdr-widget - Audio and Control Interface for Amateur Radio SDR and Audiophile USB-DAC - Google Project Hosting
https://groups.google.com/group/audio-widget?hl=en

It's been a while since I actually joined the projects, so I don't remember the details. Cookies log me in whenever I go there...

BÝrge
Old 3rd September 2011, 08:45 AM   #213
Frex is offline Frex  France
diyAudio Member

Hello borges ,

I just discover this thread and the project seem to be very very interesting !
I use for a year now a linux OS on my computer, and i looked to get a good USB audio device for listening music.
A device supporting high sampling rate is also one of my requirement.

Please, can you confirm me that your AB-1.1 board support Linux OS (with drivers) and all sampling rate to 192kHz and resolution between 16-24 bits ?
On your post #210, you speak about a price of 120$, what is included for that price ?
(Sorry if the info has already been said, i don't found it !).
Regards, and thank you very much for sharing this high-end projects!

Frex
Old 3rd September 2011, 10:30 AM   #214
diyAudio Member

Hi Frex,

On Linux (kernel 2.6.38 or later) the audio-widgets are supported by the native USB Audio Class 2 (UAC2). No drivers needed.

You will need to download a GUI utility called WidgetControl.py GUI tool from the Google Project Hosting link:

Downloads - sdr-widget - Audio and Control Interface for Amateur Radio SDR and Audiophile USB-DAC - Google Project Hosting

You will need python, pyusb, pythoncard etc. to be installed in your Linux machine to run this GUI.

With the GUI, you can configure the firmware for UAC2 (instead of the default UAC1 for Windows compatibiilty). Under UAC2, the audio-widgets are capable of 44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192khz. The USB transfer is at 32 bits, but only the most significant 24 bits are actually transferred to the ES9023 DAC. If you play 16bit music, the other 8 bits are padded to zeros by Linux.

The audio-widget can be set up to be used with pulseaudio. However, to get the most out of pulse, you need to setup pulse correctly using the .pulse/daemon.conf file.

The best player I have found is MPD. You can setup the .mpdconf file so that there is no auto-resampling. So whatever the source material sampling rate is, the same sampling rate is set for the audio-widget and the samples transferred are "bit-perfect".

You should join the audio-widget Google group and read all the archived info if you are interested.

Alex
Old 3rd September 2011, 06:16 PM   #215
diyAudio Member

Yes, and I may add the same tools are available on Windows too. The SDR-Widget project Wiki has the details.

BÝrge
Old 3rd September 2011, 06:18 PM   #216
diyAudio Member

Hi Frex,

the $120 price is for a boxed, tested, assembled kit. It plays music right out of the box. It even comes with a nice logo on the front!

Shipping without tracking number is $18 to Europe and $31 world-wide. Mail / PayPal me at borge.strand@gmail.com if you wish to get a kit.

Cheers,
BÝrge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frex View Post
Hello borges ,
On your post #210, you speak about a price of 120$, what is included for that price ?
Frex
Old 3rd September 2011, 11:14 PM   #217
diyAudio Member

Hi guys,

I just brought up a new web site for the USB-I2S module and AB-1.1. Link is in signature!

BÝrge
Old 4th September 2011, 08:50 AM   #218
diyAudio Member

Quote:
We are conducting audio characterization of our prototype boards (the AB-1 and a single board USB9023) this week and hopefully we will have some lab measurement results soon.

Alex
Hello,

Thank you for the answers borges.
Does anyone has made some audio measurements on it, like alex speak about on post 21 ?
Does I2S signal is easily available ? in order to use another DAC IC ?

Regards.
Old 4th September 2011, 09:03 AM   #219
diyAudio Member

Hi Frex,

using another DAC is a main feature of the design! If you look at the schematics (follow link in my signature), you'll see the pinout for the interface between module and analog board. There you can insert pretty much any DAC you wish.

We've hunted down some UAC1 bugs lately. I only now feel that UAC1 is stable enough to perform listening tests. I have invited the members in Oslo Audio Society to take part in this. For this purpose I will probably take two kits, one with 1.5nF filter caps, the other with 4.7nF. Just to see if there is a preference.

Cheers,
BÝrge
Old 4th September 2011, 12:24 PM   #220
diyAudio Member

Ok, very good.

Is that possible to buy only the daughter board without the ES9023 DAC board ?
If yes at what conditions ?
Thank's .
Regards.

Frex

Hide this!Advertise here!