Open-source USB interface: Audio Widget - Page 21 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th August 2011, 11:33 AM   #201
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
You can download some DXD for free from 2L - the Nordic Sound - follow the link to 'Test Bench' and scroll down for special resolutions. Dunno if they count as an experimental studio setup though

<edit> - ah, I see UnixMan already mentioned them

Last edited by abraxalito; 25th August 2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 25th August 2011, 11:48 AM   #202
UnixMan is offline UnixMan  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to UnixMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
You can download some DXD for free from 2L - the Nordic Sound - follow the link to 'Test Bench' and scroll down for special resolutions. Dunno if they count as an experimental studio setup though

<edit> - ah, I see UnixMan already mentioned them
yup. What I did not mention is they those files appears to be band-limited (to about 20-22KHz) and with plenty of noise-shaping applied.

Looks like they are likely master files prepared for standard CDDA production...

Nevertheless, they sound terrific. (even after the sox downsampling to 24/192 which was required to be able to listen to them on my system).

Last edited by UnixMan; 25th August 2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 25th August 2011, 11:51 AM   #203
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Glad I didn't waste my HDD space trying to download them then. What's the point of having a heavily processed file in such a format? I have downloaded some of their lower res files and found them to sound impressive though.
Old 25th August 2011, 12:00 PM   #204
diyAudio Member

Sweet. I didn't know that.

Anyway. If possible supporting these super-high-res formats is desirable, however my point was that there isn't really any material out there, is there?
Old 25th August 2011, 12:05 PM   #205
diyAudio Member

Relatively speaking, no there isn't. I tend to spend my time getting better sound from all the 44/16 material I have rather than chasing hi-res. Wasn't it Holt's law that goes 'the better the recording quality, the poorer the music' ?
Old 25th August 2011, 12:25 PM   #206
adelias is offline adelias  Greece
diyAudio Member

Now that SACD backups are possible, DSD playback will become increasingly popular.
Old 25th August 2011, 01:03 PM   #207
UnixMan is offline UnixMan  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to UnixMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by satgeek View Post
Now that SACD backups are possible, DSD playback will become increasingly popular.
Oh! that would be a big news! How is that possible? what hardware+software is required?
Old 25th August 2011, 01:09 PM   #208
adelias is offline adelias  Greece
diyAudio Member

For hardware a SACD compatible PS3 with firmware 3.55 or earlier is required. The software can be found here.

Last edited by adelias; 25th August 2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 29th August 2011, 07:40 AM   #209
diyAudio Member

Just curious.

1. Anybody out there who tried the impact - -- if there's any -- of earlier discussed PC optimizations?

Let's assume there are differences:

2. What do you guys think of the two stage jitter supression (widget + FIFO) +
the isolation (as done on exau2i) in between.

Not to forget:

All that should be able to run up2 8 channels of course. Over here we're still talking stereo - correct?
8*192khz might be considered a kind of challenge. Though the exau2i guys are setting the pace. That product IMO should
be considered reference for now.

Cheers

Last edited by soundcheck; 29th August 2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 2nd September 2011, 02:24 PM   #210
borges is offline borges  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default Hardware available now

Hi guys,

the full batch of AB-1.1 boards just arrived with me. That means I'll start shipping out complete units very soon, probably Monday. Here are some pictures.

I'll install a firmware image which is performing well with UAC1 (44.1 and 48) on Windows. UAC2 (44.1-192 on Linux and Mac) is in the image, but you'll need drivers and the WidgetConfig program to set it. Join the sdr-widget and audio-widget mailing lists for details.

The price is still $120 plus shipping ($31 international, $18 Europe)

Cheers,
BÝrge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0182.jpg (322.7 KB, 422 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0180.jpg (258.3 KB, 351 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0179.jpg (213.2 KB, 340 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!