Open-source USB interface: Audio Widget - Page 204 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd December 2012, 02:01 PM   #2031
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borges View Post
Here is a firmware file for 16.16 UAC2 feedbac. It is tested on Windows and Linux on 44.1 and 192. This code is experimental. Please test it and let me know what works. My Mac purchase is taking longer time than predicted, so the FW is not tested on Mac. On Windows I have tested it with an updated version of Nikolay's ASIO driver, not with other ASIO drivers.

awx_20121222.zip

On Windows systems, close any ASIO player. Then make a backup of C:\Program Files (x86)\Audio-Widget\asiouac2.dll (or similar location) and replace it with the one from the zip file. If this works I'll package it into an installer.

This new build of asiouac2.dll supports both 15.17 and 16.16 feedback. All source code is commited to github.

Cheers,
BÝrge
hello

I tested this version (ab 1.1) on my mac and works fine in all sampling freq. 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192. but the noise appears in a different way that previous version. Ramdomly, distorsion appears in a middle of a track, but if you leave playing file, after about 10-15sec, recovers normal function.
I don't checked intensively all sampling frequencies, i don't know if happend at all frequencies, just 192k, and i'd never hear before any distorsion at this frequency.
except for this problem, sound is great.

I hope that this can be help for you.
thanks
juanjo
Old 23rd December 2012, 03:55 PM   #2032
borges is offline borges  Norway
diyAudio Member

I found the bug in the ASIO driver. The .dll in the updated .zip works better. The .elf is not updated.

awx_20121222b.zip

Zumbik, I'm must speculating, perhaps the upper 8 bits are discarded because they are 0? You may want to ask at an ALSA forum or mailing list.

BÝrge
Old 23rd December 2012, 04:26 PM   #2033
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanjodcv View Post
I tested this version (ab 1.1) on my mac and works fine in all sampling freq. 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192. but the noise appears in a different way that previous version. Ramdomly, distorsion appears in a middle of a track, but if you leave playing file, after about 10-15sec, recovers normal function.
I don't checked intensively all sampling frequencies, i don't know if happend at all frequencies, just 192k, and i'd never hear before any distorsion at this frequency.
Thanks for doing the test! Obviously, I'd like the noise to go away completely. Once I get hold of a Mac I'll be able to test against it.

In the meantime I have started drafting a new feedback system which isn't quite ready for prime time yet.

BÝrge
Old 26th December 2012, 07:10 PM   #2034
diyAudio Member

fwiw, I just learned about a neat little linux app, siggen.

at any debian system, you should be able to: 'apt-get install siggen'

it will look like the attached screen-cap (its console based, ncurses to be precise). use the arrows to move around and the values change immediately.

it works over the aw or any sound card on linux/alsa. stop any other audio apps first, though.

...I think this is still better than enya.

Attached Images
File Type: gif siggen.gif (14.3 KB, 262 views)
Old 26th December 2012, 07:50 PM   #2035
diyAudio Member

I tried awx_20121222b.zip in Mac.
192 Noise every few minutes
96 noise every few minutes
88 noise every few minutes
48 noise every a lot of minutes
44.1 noise every a lot of minutes

All times occurs: half a minute before noise internal red LED lights. Increasses flicker speed, noise appears, green LED flicker faster and noise stop.
Old 26th December 2012, 07:57 PM   #2036
diyAudio Member

Thanks for testing. With a Mac of my own I'll be able to tweak things some more. The red and green tell me which direction the frequency compensation is taking. Is it always red first and green after?

One thing I've been seeing in highly experimental code is that 44/88/176 are tricier to stabilize than 48/97/192. Are you seeing such a pattern too?

BÝrge
Old 27th December 2012, 07:01 AM   #2037
Dendri is offline Dendri  Italy
diyAudio Member

Why google tells me this site as malicious, reported as an installer of malware?
Old 27th December 2012, 07:04 AM   #2038
Dendri is offline Dendri  Italy
diyAudio Member

why google tells me this site as malicious, reported as an installer of malware?
Old 27th December 2012, 09:53 AM   #2039
diyAudio Member

It seems with this version worse at higher bitrate, not 44 or 48 clock.
It is always the first red and then green.
Old 4th January 2013, 05:02 PM   #2040
starn02 is offline starn02  Italy
diyAudio Member

News about metallic noise ....

First of all I'd like to send my excuses to Borges, after he sent me the tools to debug the board using rs232 I really disappeared ... fact is that I had several problems with my computers, so I was unable to perform real testing.

Now the news.
I have now a macbook pro, and I have performed a lot of testing ....
Using the same old firmware (a version created by me, not modified according the latest developments, but incorporating the new feedback code created by Borges some time ago, probably with some "bug" that he discovered ...
To be short:
- this firmware is causing the "metallic noise" problems under windows xp and windows 7 64 ....
- the same board and firmware perform without problems at all under MacOS (latest version, latest updates): I never experienced ANY form of noise.

The thing I noticed, having introduced in the code a sort of feedback with two leds that are lit one for play and one for rec (in other words, only if different parts of the code are executed ....) is that while under MacOS only the green led (play) is on, under windows also the red led is on (rec) ...
I suppose this is due to the behavior of the Thesycon driver, that actually works always as if both rec and play are working ... actually ignoring the feedback endpoint I suppose.
The fact is that when there is no recording (in other words, under MacOS) everything plays OK, with no trace of noise even in very long sessions ..
This leads me to think that the feedback code is more or less OK, while if we have both rec and play (and the driver actually gets feedback from the rec) there must be something wrong.
Is this of any help?

Hide this!Advertise here!