Open-source USB interface: Audio Widget - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th March 2011, 11:28 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post
Thanks for the details. I have been following the Google Group stuff but I thought this forum needed a better look into the device.

Looking at the other forum I'm a little confused about part of the specs so a few answers here will help.
1) Will it will automatically select the correct sample rate when selected from the source for the 6 standard sample rates with two oscillators (22.5792 MHz and 24.576 MHz)?
2) Does the same firmware work in both OSX and Linux? Can UAC 1 and UAC 2 support work in a single firmware?

I'll contact directly about commercial implementations.
Hi Demian,

The unified firmware supports both UAC1 + UAC2 switchable via an external WidgetControl GUI tool. The firmware works with Linux 2.6.38 and Mac OSX. Auto sampling rate switching with compatible software eg Music Player Daemon.

We are working on: async out with rate feedback under Windows, UAC2 under Windows will require a driver.. Aany bored Windows driver developers looking for an open-source challenge?

The unified firmware supports both DAC boards (and future boards) selectable with GUI WidgetControl tool.

Regards,
George Boudreau
Old 31st March 2011, 05:50 AM   #12
borges is offline borges  Norway
diyAudio Member

Hi Demian,

1) Yes. But you should rather ask in the sdr-widget mailing list. The two oscillators are chosen by means of a mux (see schematic at http://www.qnktc.com/mod_ab1/panel_U...AB1RC6_Doc.zip)

2) UAC1 should work across platforms. It is not yet asynchronous (work in progress, help wanted), and UAC1 won't hit 88.2 or 96ksps due to an endpoint size limitation in the AVR32. The same source code tree supports UAC1 and UAC2, the latter with asynchronous USB and full sample rate range. We're considering different mechanisms for switching. For example a flip-switch which would make the MCU store the wanted class to eeprom, reboot, then enumerate according to eeprom.

BÝrge
Old 26th April 2011, 07:15 PM   #13
UnixMan is offline UnixMan  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to UnixMan
Hi, congrats for this great project!

Question: any chance to get "DXD" (384KHz/32bit) support too?

What about a more versatile analog board with switchable alternative external inputs (S/PDIF, Toslink, AES/EBU, I2S, ecc) ?

That is, to DIY something like this one...

M2Tech Young DAC | 32/384 USB DAC | M2Tech USB DAC

Young DAC- M2Tech 384khz, Async USB. | Computer Audiophile

Digital Audio Blog: M2Tech Young DAC
Old 26th April 2011, 07:45 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi

The current boards are just the first kick at the can. We wanted a POC for the UAC2 interface and a bare bones DAC. The two designs/boards exist and work quite well. We have bit perfect audio running at 24bit from 44.1k to 192k. Considering they are both powered for the USB port they are as quiet as church mice.

The next audio board will be based on the 32bit ESS Technology ES9012. This chip has a 132db DNR and will push the Atmel processor (I2S generator) a bit but we are confident of success. Folks are free to grab the firmware and make contributions. Hardware contributions as also welcome.

In the distant future we hope to release an 8 channel ADC/DAC UAC2 unit. Alternate interfaces are possible but the group is currently focusing on native UAC2.

This is an open source project, schematics and firmware are covered under GPL licence. Take what you want but remember where it came from and feed any changes back to the group.

Regards,
George
Old 27th April 2011, 12:07 PM   #15
UnixMan is offline UnixMan  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to UnixMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeBoudreau View Post
Considering they are both powered for the USB port they are as quiet as church mice.
Oh... that's something nice for portable use, but for Hi-Fi I'd definitely prefer to use external power supplies... and a completely separate one for each different part of the circuit!!!

Is it possible to do that with the current boards?

Quote:
The next audio board will be based on the 32bit ESS Technology ES9012.
have you considered a stereo-wired ES9018 as done by the "Buffalo II" DAC? according to this post, the 9018 in stereo mode slightly outperforms the 9012.

Quote:
Alternate interfaces are possible but the group is currently focusing on native UAC2.
given that the Sabre DAC can directly handle s/pdif, it shouldn't be hard to add at least one s/pdif input... that would add a great deal of flexibility.

Quote:
This is an open source project, schematics and firmware are covered under GPL licence. Take what you want but remember where it came from and feed any changes back to the group.
yep, that's really a great thing!
Old 27th April 2011, 12:47 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

This is very relevant to my interests.

I am looking for a high-quality USB dac supported under linux. Currently I'm using a PCM2707 spdif interface but that only goes up to 16/48.

Musiland monitor and Hiface are only supported on windows.

I am especially interested in the USB > I2S or SPDIF part of this project.

And as a linux guy I am very happy about the open nature of this project.
Old 27th April 2011, 01:00 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hi Mace,

We're hoping that the USB-I2S module can stay as-is and that people can design analog boards as they see fit. AB-1 is a good starting point but not a very complex board.

I'm currently sold out of the USB-I2S module + AB-1 combo. If you need a board, please let me know as I'm planning a new batch. The price is $120 + shipping. (EU unregistered mail is $4.)

Cheers,
BÝrge
Old 27th April 2011, 10:35 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Wow, I would love one of these USB-I2S modules! sign me up! would rather experiment with my own analog board though.
Old 28th April 2011, 11:06 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borges View Post
Hi Mace,

We're hoping that the USB-I2S module can stay as-is and that people can design analog boards as they see fit. AB-1 is a good starting point but not a very complex board.

I'm currently sold out of the USB-I2S module + AB-1 combo. If you need a board, please let me know as I'm planning a new batch. The price is $120 + shipping. (EU unregistered mail is $4.)

Cheers,
BÝrge
Yeah sounds good, I'll be interested in buying one.

So what do you think the theoretical maximum is for sample rate and bit depth with the interface?
Old 28th April 2011, 11:09 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Well, it's up and running on 24/192.

Alex, could you add a few thouthts on this?

BÝrge

Hide this!Advertise here!