Open-source USB interface: Audio Widget - Page 180 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th August 2012, 02:51 PM   #1791
UnixMan is offline UnixMan  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to UnixMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm View Post
Perhaps I am missing something, but I've read the latest readme, and downloaded the software mentioned in the Windows section. Have installed AWsetup.exe. The AB1.1 appears in the devices list now, but it does not appear in the audio devices section, and it is not listed in the Sound control panel.
...and it will never be, if you're using the widget in UAC2 mode!

The driver is ASIO, which is a system designed to completely by-pass the windows sound infrastructure!

You can NOT use that with any player. Will have to use one which is capable to directly talk to ASIO drivers instead (that's NOT the case for WMP! Possible choices are e.g. JRiver or the ubiquitous Foobar2000 if you also add its ASIO plugin).

Alternatively, you may simply switch the widget to UAC1 mode and it will be directly recognized by the native windows driver (no need to install anything). That way you can use it with any player. Of course, max 24/48K.

P.S.: no, windoze is not user friendly if you're used to something else...

Last edited by UnixMan; 25th August 2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 25th August 2012, 11:28 PM   #1792
diyAudio Member

Please could you tell me the best dac in a well implemented design between the PCM5102, the AK4430 and the CS4398..

I currently really really like the CS4398 dac with no analog stage but would like to taste another dac.. I need textured deep snappy bass and smooth but detailed and airy high.. of course detailed mid and excellent instrument separation and 3d imaging.. the CS4398 is near that but i wonder about the bass..

Please don't tell me you never heard the CS4398 dac... PLEASE!!!

Last edited by audiolic; 25th August 2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 26th August 2012, 05:08 AM   #1793
borges is offline borges  Norway
diyAudio Member

The CS4398 is an entirely different DAC from the AK4430 and PCM5102. The AK4430 and PCM5102 run from a single positive power rail and generate their own negative supply. The CS4398 is the top-of-the-line DAC from Cirrus. It needs +5V supply, and its analog filter needs a negative supply.

This means a CS4398 design must have quite a complex power supply. Also, the CS4398 costs much more than the AK4430.

One thing you can do is start with the AB-1.2 and patch in the CS4398 and its power supply.

BÝrge
Old 26th August 2012, 01:02 PM   #1794
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks ever so much for your help Alex & Unixman. Greatly appreciated indeed

Will give the firmware flashing a go hopefully sometime this evening. Fingers crossed I don't screw anything up

John.
Old 26th August 2012, 01:11 PM   #1795
borges is offline borges  Norway
diyAudio Member

Hi John,

you can also look at the readme file in my signature. I try to keep it up to date with all recommendations.

BÝrge
Old 26th August 2012, 04:48 PM   #1796
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borges View Post
The CS4398 is an entirely different DAC from the AK4430 and PCM5102. The AK4430 and PCM5102 run from a single positive power rail and generate their own negative supply. The CS4398 is the top-of-the-line DAC from Cirrus. It needs +5V supply, and its analog filter needs a negative supply.

This means a CS4398 design must have quite a complex power supply. Also, the CS4398 costs much more than the AK4430.

One thing you can do is start with the AB-1.2 and patch in the CS4398 and its power supply.

BÝrge
I understand that the CS4398 cost more and need good power but does it sound better that's the question.. I don't care about trying 100 100-300$ dacs, that is why i'm investigating in tons of forums..

Let's say I have all the dacs here... i try it with complex but well recorded or synthetized music in my electrostatics and I KNOW what dac is best.. there is NO maybe this one, maybe this one.. dac don't sound the same at all on flat electrostatics setup..

I want to know who really tested by ears those dacs and their appreciation of those and why... of course cheaper and simpler implementation is better for me but at the end SQ is what i'm looking for.. CS4398 is the best i know.. from there i want to grow , anybody compared it directly one after the other with well implemented and clocked ES9023, AK4430, R2R dacs, AD1865k, 1794, 5102, AK4399..

You can reply me in private if you don't want to say the chip that make your soul vibrate the most in public

and if you don't know.. maybe you should all send me your implemented dac so that i tell you the "one" who rules them all..

Last edited by audiolic; 26th August 2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 26th August 2012, 05:23 PM   #1797
diyAudio Member

lets not forget, this isn't about dacs. its about *data to dacs*. the dac chip or system you use is your choice.

this box outputs spdif and also i2s. take your pick on your data format. (I'm happy enough with spdif and all dacs speak that).

the onboard dac is not going to be high end. that's not its job and its not sensible to spend much time worrying about it. consider it a 'free rider'; there's i2s onboard and so its easy to include a freebie dac chip. but the intention (as I see it) is to give you usb to 'digital audio data' (i2s or spdif) and you take it from there.
Old 27th August 2012, 12:05 AM   #1798
diyAudio Member

oh oki sorry

anyway if you have any opinion on those dac chip let me know, peace
Old 27th August 2012, 12:18 AM   #1799
diyAudio Member

dacs will come and go. some people even call it FOTM (flavor of the month) club

given that dac chips come out from vendors so often, it seems logical to detach the parts that are clasically called the 'transport' (this audio widget is a transport, really) and the dac.

another thread might be better for discussion OF dacs. this thread is more about the transport, and even more specifically, about a UAC2 based (usb audio 'new style') transport.
Old 27th August 2012, 01:34 AM   #1800
diyAudio Member

Could you please then tell me the asio latency of your device in milliseconds and also if i can run two in parallel at low asio latency !!! important for me

Hide this!Advertise here!