Open-source USB interface: Audio Widget - Page 174 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th August 2012, 06:04 PM   #1731
zumbik is offline zumbik  Europe
diyAudio Member

Yes, on the second day after delivery.
But only 2x16 ...
Old 9th August 2012, 06:04 PM   #1732
borges is offline borges  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisvv View Post
for UAC1 sound is not that great against the UAC2 in my current system or is it my placebo effect....
Check the sample rate in use. If your content is recorded at 44.1 or 48 it should be no difference between UAC1 and UAC2. If your content is recorded at higher sample rates, the OS will resample it into 44.1 or 48 to work with UAC1. That will change the quality of the music.

It may also be that your OS resamples per default in UAC1. I know that Win7 will do that.

Which OS are you using when you get this effect?

BÝrge
Old 9th August 2012, 06:07 PM   #1733
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borges View Post
Check the sample rate in use. If your content is recorded at 44.1 or 48 it should be no difference between UAC1 and UAC2. If your content is recorded at higher sample rates, the OS will resample it into 44.1 or 48 to work with UAC1. That will change the quality of the music.

It may also be that your OS resamples per default in UAC1. I know that Win7 will do that.

Which OS are you using when you get this effect?

BÝrge

In windows...first things i noticed and again its my opinion

if you use spotify /groovehark etc for music only way to work is UAC1 which is enough for streaming music yes or no i dont know..

I have some files which are 24 bit 192 bit and they sound really different between UAC1 and UAC2...

V
Old 9th August 2012, 06:13 PM   #1734
diyAudio Member

Any content is best played back with the sample rate of the actual file. So 24/192 resampled to UAC1 will sound very different.

One thing is that there might not have been all that much information above 22kHz to begin with. But the downsampler will introduce things in the time domain in order to sqeeze in the content with the available bandwidth.

Do you hear a major difference in the originally 24/192 when playing it at 48 or 44.1? I suspect yes since 48 is a simple 4:1 downsampling while 44.1 uses much larger integers.

In fact, 48 was chosen as the sample rate in DAT players to make it impractical and expensive to copy CDs, and impossible to get a bit-correct recording.

BÝrge
Old 9th August 2012, 06:45 PM   #1735
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Any content is best played back with the sample rate of the actual file. So 24/192 resampled to UAC1 will sound very different.

One thing is that there might not have been all that much information above 22kHz to begin with. But the downsampler will introduce things in the time domain in order to sqeeze in the content with the available bandwidth.

Do you hear a major difference in the originally 24/192 when playing it at 48 or 44.1? I suspect yes since 48 is a simple 4:1 downsampling while 44.1 uses much larger integers.

In fact, 48 was chosen as the sample rate in DAT players to make it impractical and expensive to copy CDs, and impossible to get a bit-correct recording.

BÝrge
I didn't wanted to bring comparision out right now till i thought i setup this DAC correctly...

So i have a peachtree Decco2 that uses sabre dac chip..and i am replace AB 1.2 against it...in windows when AB1.2 is used as OAC1 this sound like headphone certain beats are clear precise but human vocal are coming from like far like headphone nothing like decco2 ...swithcover this to UAC2 and it makes me think decco2 has to go...

even on streaming content one to one comparision i can humbly say decco2 beats this guy by miles under UAC1 as i cant use this as a streeaming DAC under UAC2...

again this my humble opinion so far and it is my subjective...and one reason i ask about being shown as headphone on windows was this..voice was very far....

any help to correct this is helpfull thats all i can ask for....

V
Old 9th August 2012, 07:02 PM   #1736
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

For Windows I would suggest you download JRiver as a player before you go much further, it will run for 30 Days before you need to pay for it.

JRiver has a lot of flexibility in its audio outputs. If you use that with the ASIO driver you should be able to play everything at native rate eliminating any host DSP stuff. There are a few settings to get it all aligned right but they are well documented on the JRiver site.

Also the AW has no isolation on the grounds between the PC and your audio system. This can lead to mysterious noise problems and other degradations if not carefully managed. If you have a laptop you can run on batteries to isolate the grounds.

The AK4430 won't drive a headphone directly. Its a very good sounding basic DAC chip. The OEM price is about 1/50th of the ESS chip. The Peachtree has a pretty sophisticated DAC (ESS9012 I think) and a much more complex implementation so comparisons are not all that fair.
Old 9th August 2012, 07:15 PM   #1737
diyAudio Member

Agreed, I use JRiver for a lot of playback, even paid them the $50 license.

foobar2000 with the ASIO component also works well, and will give you the native sample rate.

The AB-1.2 has been priced to attract DIYers, not the $100k HiEnd setup crowd :-)

BÝrge
Old 9th August 2012, 07:15 PM   #1738
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post
For Windows I would suggest you download JRiver as a player before you go much further, it will run for 30 Days before you need to pay for it.

JRiver has a lot of flexibility in its audio outputs. If you use that with the ASIO driver you should be able to play everything at native rate eliminating any host DSP stuff. There are a few settings to get it all aligned right but they are well documented on the JRiver site.

Also the AW has no isolation on the grounds between the PC and your audio system. This can lead to mysterious noise problems and other degradations if not carefully managed. If you have a laptop you can run on batteries to isolate the grounds.

The AK4430 won't drive a headphone directly. Its a very good sounding basic DAC chip. The OEM price is about 1/50th of the ESS chip. The Peachtree has a pretty sophisticated DAC (ESS9012 I think) and a much more complex implementation so comparisons are not all that fair.

As i said i was not comparing till i had set it up correctly...

i am using foobar and its working fine with ASIO addon ...as i said its working fine when it is configured as UAC2 my issue is when this is connected as UAC1 and thats why the question i raised...

its not about money i am asking how to setup properly under the UAC1 with windows and UAC2 in Linux...am i asking something wrong here...and reason to talk about peachtree was thats the only other DAC i have ...

at UAC2 it holds preety good against the DAC....

V

Last edited by thisisvv; 9th August 2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 9th August 2012, 07:19 PM   #1739
diyAudio Member

I assume you have installed a driver for your other DAC. That driver will let it operate at a higher sampling rate than the AB-1.2 at UAC1, and you won't really have a head-to-head comparison.

My suggestion is to use 44.1 or 48ksps content when comparing DACs at UAC1. Otherwise you'll be including the OS's downsampler in the equation. And that isn't fair to any DAC!

BÝrge
Old 9th August 2012, 07:31 PM   #1740
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I assume you have installed a driver for your other DAC. That driver will let it operate at a higher sampling rate than the AB-1.2 at UAC1, and you won't really have a head-to-head comparison.

My suggestion is to use 44.1 or 48ksps content when comparing DACs at UAC1. Otherwise you'll be including the OS's downsampler in the equation. And that isn't fair to any DAC!

BÝrge
stupid question but thought to ask would following things be fair to compare
  1. 320 kbps mp3 file
  2. Spotify streaming music
  3. grooveshark music
  4. 16/44.1 flac files
are the 4 above worth the check in uAC1 mode?

V

Hide this!Advertise here!