Open-source USB interface: Audio Widget - Page 158 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st June 2012, 12:09 AM   #1571
diyAudio Member

1. The spreadspectrum clocks, SICK and LRCK, amd the SDATA, are all gemerated by the SSC in the Atmel chip and if u read the Atmel reference docs u can see they conform to i2s requiremts.

2. The jitter will be introduced by the opto/magneto isolater and internal dividers/plls of the Atmel chip.

3. The low jitter MCLK goes to the DAC direct. It is not used for clocking SDATA.

Alex
Old 1st June 2012, 12:19 AM   #1572
borges is offline borges  Norway
diyAudio Member

There are usually some requirements that clocks are synchronous. As long as setup times are consistenst a few ns in delay variance is a good thing. But it may make sense to look at the clock signals in a scope to see if there is a danger of signals arriving too early or too late for the edge which latches it.

In digital design, using two D-flip-flops in series is a common way to cross clock domains. The flip-flops are then clocked by the clock of the destination.

But in our case tings are synchronous. We just need to make sure that hold and setup times are within spec. I'm travelling right now, so i can't scope this myself now. I'm tempted to get a few isolators and start playing with them. We can still test propagation delays by inserting the isolators without having to actually separate the supply domains.

BÝrge
Old 3rd June 2012, 06:43 PM   #1573
diyAudio Member

Has anybody had success with installing Nikolay's drivers on non-English XP? I'm stuck with a Norwegian installation. In UAC1 I'm able to follow the instructions and run Widget-Control.exe. In UAC2 the yellow question mark comes up in Devmgr. It then does not find relevant hardware in the .inf file.

BÝrge
Old 3rd June 2012, 08:07 PM   #1574
sampler is offline sampler  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

Hi Borge,
are you sure that language pack has something to do with this problem ? I had similar issue when installing Nikolay's driver on english XP per his guide. When doing driver update, the list from Audio-Widget.inf was empty. Hit back, select "Don't search I will choose driver to install" (or whatever that sounds in Norwegian), next and Audio-Widged was in the list.
Hope this helps.
P.S. Playback on XP (sp3 and all latest updates) with higher bitrates (192k,96k) was terrible. Frequent drop outs and metal affects every 2 to 10 seconds without any other active processes on background. Same thing with Thesycon drivers. Don't know if it was some specific problem with my hw, but after clean install of Win7 same machine plays ok, although random dropouts and "metal effects" do pop out, but only at heavy/medium cpu and hdd utilization. Well... windoze was never a real time os.
Old 3rd June 2012, 08:10 PM   #1575
diyAudio Member

OK, I will try again. Found an old computer with a US SP3 installation of XP.

What I'm trying to do here is to simplify the test procedure for the AB-1.2 manufacturing and make sure both crystals do what they are supposed to. So today I created two wav files at 44.1 and 48 using Octave. They both play 1s 1kHz left, then 1s 2kHz right. So the two should sound the same to the test guys but play using different oscillators. That worked well with XP and UAC1.

BÝrge
Old 5th June 2012, 06:15 PM   #1576
gioz is offline gioz  Italy
diyAudio Member

A switch is PROGRAM?
B switch is RESET?

correct?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Schermata 06-2456084 alle 20.12.44.jpg (51.9 KB, 210 views)
Old 6th June 2012, 10:18 AM   #1577
diyAudio Member

Reset is the one closest to the unmounted JTAG header.

BÝrge
Old 6th June 2012, 11:46 AM   #1578
diyAudio Member

Borges your USB-I2S device support Windows Vista? if yes wich software have I to download & where can I download? have I to install Xtals & more components to connect to Twisted Pear Sidecar?
Old 6th June 2012, 09:55 PM   #1579
juanito is offline juanito  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borges View Post
Juanito,

Here are some questions which may help to sort things out:
- Are you using an updated firmware version?
- Are you using UAC1 (green front light) or UAC2 (red)?
- If you open up the case, how do the red and green LEDs on the module behave?

I had similar problems a long time ago on previous firmware. In that case the module LEDs started acting up a little while before the audio imperfections started.

BÝrge
About the lights behavior: when I plug the mini USB to the DAC, first comes the red light then the red one. In 5 seconds or so the turn off in the same order, first red then green. Noise is still there.

By the way I tried the USB DAC with EXOPC tablet. Works wonderful. The Tablet it's just a pc netbook with touch screen. I't very handy because it has two USB, so you can use simultaneously the DAC and Hard drive where I store my Flacs.
I curious about the Ipad and the usb camera kit: will that work?
Old 7th June 2012, 09:10 AM   #1580
UnixMan is offline UnixMan  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to UnixMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin el mago View Post
have I to install Xtals & more components to connect to Twisted Pear Sidecar?
you may get the option with XOs (and related parts) already mounted, see: Q N K T C USB-I2S Module and Analog Board

Hide this!Advertise here!