Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th May 2012, 02:27 PM   #1551
borges is offline borges  Norway
diyAudio Member

Finally, I'm able to test the AK4430 properly. It's running through my Graham Slee HP amp and a pair of AKG K701s. I'm using ASIO+Win7-64+JRiver, source is a good Vivaldi CD.

Compared to the ES9023 I think it packs more punch in the bass. The high notes sound kinder.

That may be due to the DAC, or it may be due to the caps. I've no more OS-CONs left, but I did put in the 10ĶF EEF-CD0J100R at pretty much every point of load I could think about.

I tested some tones with Realtime Signal Generator for windows UAC1, 44.1, 441Hz square wave, attenuation variable down to 0dB.

A full-scale square wave has dV~=4.6V between the lower DC level and upper DC level. This correspons to DC gain. But the DAC has more headroom, allowing the overshoot of the digital filter to run its course.

The ES9023, on the other hand, has dV~=4.8V between DC levels of the square wave. But it overflows heavily due to what I believe is the DAC's digital input range being too small for the internal digital filters's digital output range.

So at this moment the AK4430 clearly leads by a better design. And if it isn't due to the caps, it leads with more punch as well.

Cheers,
BÝrge

Last edited by borges; 25th May 2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 26th May 2012, 07:51 AM   #1552
juanito is offline juanito  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Just as I was asking about my little issue with my Imac... has any body got to try this DAC (QNKTC) with a windows based tablet? There are some tablets like the EXOPC or the wintab which have 2 usb inputs. That would be interesting because you could switch at the same time a DAC and a hard drive with all the FLAC's. Also because there is a big issue with this android 4 and usb audio which seems not to go any better...
Old 26th May 2012, 10:44 AM   #1553
diyAudio Member

I know nothing about Android and USB audio. Care to enlighten us? Perhaps the issue we suspect in the Linux kernel is holding things back?

Are there other USB devices which act strangely on that tablet? which OS do you use? How is the cpu load? Is it performing better with Nik's ASIO driver and UAC2? It's hard to say if what you are experiencing is in the tablet or the DAC.

BÝrge
Old 28th May 2012, 05:26 PM   #1554
Remrk is offline Remrk  Romania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElEsido View Post

Please keep us posted and take some pictures of what you do. Also I for one am very interested in the effects of your capacitor changes, how would you describe the effects on the sound?
Thank you ElEsido. I ended cutting the USB cable since i read your message too late but is working fine so far.

I made a external source with lt1086 , some Mundorf caps and i can tell you , changing the original os-cons got me a lot of details in sound + bass extension, but now after external source a whole new world has opened full of micro-details, texture and flavor.
Old 28th May 2012, 05:35 PM   #1555
2A3SET is offline 2A3SET  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Isolator

The I2S (IL715) isolator does make a big difference. By the way, SAP (Minimalist Audio Player) sounds great with ASIO.

Cheers,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg i2s-es9023.jpg (388.5 KB, 241 views)
Old 30th May 2012, 01:03 AM   #1556
diyAudio Member

Slightly off topic, open source Bach:
The Open Goldberg Variations, by Kimiko Ishizaka | Open Goldberg Variations

Looking forward to playing this on some proper equipment at home. I'm on the road with work right now with not-so-cool speakers in the laptop.

BÝrge
Old 30th May 2012, 01:21 AM   #1557
diyAudio Member

Hi Borge & George,

Wei's report of the IL715 is very interesting. Maybe it can be incorporated in a future design :-)

Alex
Old 30th May 2012, 01:31 AM   #1558
diyAudio Member

That looks like a cool chip! With one we have I2S and MCLK. In addition a few GPIO lines are needed, but they should be able to go over cheaper and slower isolators.

The GPIO lines I think of are:
- Filter select
- VBUS_EN
- MCLK_P48_N441
- UART TX & RX (it's nice to have some comms link)
- Maybe an interrupt line

Any more lines needed? I imagine making a go-between board between the USB-I2S module and the analog board where the bare minimum of IO lines are isolated and power is inserted.

BÝrge
Old 30th May 2012, 10:51 AM   #1559
starn02 is offline starn02  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default Help with firmware programming

Hi everybody, I need some help with my AB 1.1.
Today I flashed the latest firmware, and it was all OK, working.
Them I tried again the same operation .... and since then I'm stuck in this situation:

Running batchisp 1.2.5 on Wed May 30 12:44:55 2012

AT32UC3A3256 - USB - USB/DFU

Device selection....................... PASS
Hardware selection..................... PASS
Opening port........................... PASS
Reading Bootloader version............. PASS 1.0.3
Erasing................................ FAIL Could not read from USB device.
(A)bort, (R)etry, (I)gnore ?

Looks like it's impossible to erase the chip.
I found something about such problems on the net, and tried some batchisp
command that demonstrates that the chip is alive, with 1.0.3 bootloader ... but it's impossible to reprogram.
Now the chip is constantly in DFU mode, with led OFF. When I launch the usual batchisp command (that includes a reset), the result is as above, and the LED becomes red ... but the board is actually unrecognized.
If i hit reset, or unplug, I go back to the initial situation (led OFF, board in DFU mode ). What can I do?
Some help would be appreciated!
Old 30th May 2012, 01:06 PM   #1560
starn02 is offline starn02  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default SOLVED!

I have solved the issue. My compiler (due to wrong switches) was generating a 73 MB elf file ... batchisp was probably writing over wrong portions of the memory.
I solved by removing the "erase" part from the command for the first time ... without erasing I was able to reprogram the chip. Then also the complete command with "erase" was working again.

Hide this!Advertise here!