Open-source USB interface: Audio Widget - Page 155 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2012, 09:52 AM   #1541
gioz is offline gioz  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hi Borges, the USB to I2S module with pre mounted clock are ready to use "out of the box" for connection with (for example) buffalo 2 dac??
Thank
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:36 AM   #1542
borges is offline borges  Norway
diyAudio Member

Hi Gioz,

Here is an example of someone who has mated it with a Buffalo DAC. He has used the one with XOs mounted on the board. I don't know if the Buffalo is able to produce 11.2896 / 12.288MHz clocks.

Innmat.. Hva du vil!!! - Side 82

BÝrge
Old 22nd May 2012, 12:29 PM   #1543
UnixMan is offline UnixMan  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to UnixMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by borges View Post
He has used the one with XOs mounted on the board. I don't know if the Buffalo is able to produce 11.2896 / 12.288MHz clocks.
I thought that that board could be used as-is without any modification for DAC with ASRC input such as the stock BII/BIII. Isn't it like that?

doesn't the USB-I2S module (version with on-board clocks pre-mounted) have its own divider & clock switch logic on board?

Quote:
unfortunately it does require registration to see attachments/images.

Last edited by UnixMan; 22nd May 2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 22nd May 2012, 12:33 PM   #1544
borges is offline borges  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnixMan View Post
doesn't the USB-I2S module (version with on-board clocks pre-mounted) have its own divider & clock switch logic on board?
It does, yes. The divider is there. The switch logic is implemented by enabling one XO at the time and shorting their outputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnixMan View Post
I thought that that board could be used as-is without any modification for DAC with ASRC input such as the stock BII/BIII. Isn't it like that?
So it seems, yes. I don't own a Buffalo DAC. There is some talk about an 80MHz clock. If that is the case, and the MCLK from the XO-equipped module is not used, the DAC chips are operating asynchronous to the sample rate of the music. All my experience is with synchronous systems, but that doesn't mean async is bad.

BÝrge
Old 22nd May 2012, 02:20 PM   #1545
diyAudio Member

Thank ;-)
Old 22nd May 2012, 02:45 PM   #1546
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So it seems, yes. I don't own a Buffalo DAC. There is some talk about an 80MHz clock.
yes. IIRC newer versions have 100MHz clock. According to many (including the chip designer), the higher the clock the better it works (and sounds). This is true also in synchronous mode: for best performance you'd need two ~90MHz clocks.

(and it is true for all Sabre DACs, including the ES9023. Unfortunately, the ~20MHz clock of the AB-1.1 gives a bad performance penalty, specially with source material at higher sample rates).
Old 23rd May 2012, 05:10 PM   #1547
diyAudio Member

OK just ordered ;-)
Old 24th May 2012, 09:32 AM   #1548
ElEsido is offline ElEsido  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remrk View Post
some info on how to inject a external PSU
You can start here and here. Consider this and that from Guilio; he might be able to help further.

Please keep us posted and take some pictures of what you do. Also I for one am very interested in the effects of your capacitor changes, how would you describe the effects on the sound?
Old 24th May 2012, 09:49 AM   #1549
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElEsido View Post
You can start here and here. Consider this and that from Guilio; he might be able to help further.
if you have set a non-default number of post per page those links will not work. If you have this problem, try removing the page number from the URL, like this:

post2840845

post2841397

post2958268

post2960104

(the system will redirect you automatically to the right page).
Old 24th May 2012, 10:03 AM   #1550
ElEsido is offline ElEsido  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Thanks!

Hide this!Advertise here!