Need info on CIRC strategies - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st August 2003, 01:27 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Need info on CIRC strategies

I've been trying to study CD Audio (Red Book) error detection, flagging and correction strategies in audio cd players (and cdrw drives).

I have already waded through Pohlman's "Principles of Digital Audio", Watkinson's "Introduction to Digital Audio" and Sony's "Digital Audio Technology" books on relevant issues.

However, I find the whole C1 / C2 error detection, flagging and correction strategies a very mysterious arena.

It seems that different manufacturers use different ways to detect especially E21, E31 and E22 and E32 errors (and consecutively, a large number of errors per symbol).

According to what has been told to me in another forum, some can accurately detect and flag up to 3 errors and some up to 4 errors per symbol depending on chosen strategy. However C1 level strategy may have further effect on C2 detection efficiency (and hence, correction accuracy).

Is there anywhere in available literature a decent explanation of how these things work?

I can understand that not all detection/correction circuits are made equal and that esp. in cdrw drives some chipsets show superior accuracy in practical tests. I'd just like to get a little more information on the issue (no, I'm not designing/building my own transport, at least not yet

I'm really curious, but apparently not curious enough to start building my own CIRC implementation

Anyone?

regards,
Halcyon
Old 5th August 2003, 07:56 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Nobody knows?

I think this information could be more useful than dimishing jitter from 1000 picoseconds to 100 picoseconds.

I mean, jitter can often be almost imperceptible noise at 90 dB below signal, but gaps or badly interpolated pieces of original audio signal during transients... urgh!

I know there *must* be information on this out there, I just haven't been able to find it.

regards,
Halcyon

Hide this!Advertise here!