i2c radio, Where can I buy/build an

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For my carputer, I'm going to pull my head unit and replace it with an amplifier and radio. Thing is, I don't want to use a USB radio, as they're not very compatible OS-wise and very expensive for what they are. Thus, I've decided that the best bet is a radio/tuner that I can plug into the audio-in jack and control over the i2c port.

I'm a mechanical engineer and have some electrical engineering knowledge, thus I'm open to building my own (likely with a philips 5767 chip or some derivation therof), but for quality reasons I'd rather buy a premade board.

Can anyone help me? Does this sort of thing even exist? (If it doesn't, I'd love to design it, but I don't think that I have the expertise to start from zero. Maybe a good summer project?)

Look at TI

Don't know what is out there built already, but TI makes a DSP based radio that is ran using I2C controls. I know that a Digital card is made using it in GB - it includes an am/fm reciever as well as the digital tuner. I don't know any of the specs of where it works - Canada, or Europe is unknown. Just not here in the US.

Secondly, I think a company here in the States is using it for a multiband radio - Ten Ten [???] or something like that.

You can also look at the XMPCR for XM service. It uses a computer to provide control, and if you do a slight alteration (see thread in digital section) you can get digital outputs for it too. It would be way cool to implement this in a car since you could skin the controls the way you want. There is a growing DIY movement around this little box - and at $69, its pretty cheap to play with.

Sawzall--

No big deal if it only works in Europe. I'm living in France for the moment. Thus the XM service isn't too interesting. In fact, I'd love to take advantage of their radio infrastructure and incorporate RDS and TMC into my design. (For those who don't know, TMC monitors a seperate radio stream and warns of traffic problems.)

Do you know any more specifics? Is Digital the name of a company in UK? If so, I can't find it too easily in google, not admist all the "noise".

I looked at Ten Ten's website, but what they do is extremely professional. I'm looking for cheap, cheap, cheap because money IS an object. :)

fr0st--

Thanks for the link. It looks promising and I'm going to try to get a chip ASAP. The first thing I notice, though, is that it's overkill. We don't need chips to do all sorts of digital processing. Our computers can do that at far less cost.

(What's cool, though, is that it accepts digital audio inputs, meaning that I can run the SPDIF output from my Nehemiah mobo right into the chip.)

Realistically, we just need a chip that tunes into radio stations and gives an audio output.

Secondly, I'm looking for a cheap way to build the amplifier, preferably something I can control with I2C also, although that's not really necessary because lowering the volume of the computer output is almost as good as reducing the amp's power. Anyone have any ideas?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.