Wadia 6 with tracking/focussing/problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

My Wadia 6 (Drive: VRDS CMK-4 Laserunit: KSS-151A) suddenly starts t develop problems like:
- skip parts of tracks;
- can't find a track
- hangs.

It reads the TOC, and sometimes it plays a CD without any hickup the same that gave all the trackingerrors.
Player does generate a mechanical tick that slows down when of course it is working towards the outer tracks where it spins at lower RPM.

I know that there is some discussion that just swapping the Laserunit is not the right way to attack these problems because it has to do with the electrical circuit that moves the lens up and down or (focussing) or the trackingcircuit that moves the complete laserunit along the glidingrod.
Read this very informative piece from Lukasz Fikus the 'Lampizator':
Laserology

Did of course open up the Wadia and performed all the steps and 'deepcleaned' the lens.

Any suggestions how to proceed?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
It's no good guessing... the first step has to be a detailed look on a scope at the quality and amplitude of the RF signal. If the quality is poor/low amplitude and the unit is adjusted correctly then the pickup is definitely suspect.

Fortunately sounds exactly like a lubrication issue. Being linear motor, the tracking is very sensitive to proper lubrication of the sled guide rail. Clean the rail thoroughly, then relubricate with something between a grease & an oil. I use Nye Lubricants 'Rheolub', which is made to lub high end mixer slide pot guide rails, and it works beautifully. A fairly thick oil would work temporarily, for diagnostic & 'until you find the grease' purposes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.